“Classic old school...”
Review of Durant's

Durant's
Reserve with OpenTable
Durant's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 3,269 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Encanto
Cross street: Virginia
Reviewed February 1, 2013

You go in through the kitchen, need I say more? The meatloaf is the best, with a good drink and old friends....

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great old Phoenix Steakhouse located inside an ugly pink single story building on the outskirts of the Biltmore area and between downtown. Hmmm... what were we thinking bringing out of town guests here? This was my first thought as we drove up. Once we entered the back door and through a guest friendly and clean restaurant staging area, we are greeted quickly by a hostess who promptly seats us in the bar area at a large red booth (there are 5 of us, one is a child). Not sure the bar was the best choice for a child, but it was clean and the booth was a good size .The rest of the restaurant is packed and lively, our corner is quiet and almost forgotten. Our waiter didn't explain much, didn't ask if we'd been before, or if we had questions about the menu. I had to ask what he would recommend. Cocktails served cold and done well. I asked for bread after being seated for about 20 minutes, and he explained that it would come with the first course, as if I knew already. A little annoyed perhaps? Maybe everyone who goes there is a regular and knows the drill? But I did tell the hostess when I made the reservation it was our first time because she asked. I assumed that they ask so they can use the information for customer service but in this case it was dropped out. After this point, the service did improve somewhat and he gave some recommended food information. Never tried to upsell us on anything. Just took the order and served the food! That was good and also unusual. We could have been talked into a few more side dishes. Let's talk steak...wish I had ordered it! Cooked perfectly with a light carmelization and crunch on the outside while the center was a perfect medium rare. The steak was 5 stars, the way it should be done, and the way it is seldom found in restaurants (unless of course you frequent the great NY or Chicago Steakhouses). It was served simply with a choice of soup or salad and a potato (garlic mashed, baked, fries). The garlic mash was too whipped or mashed and the potato was glue-like and glutonous. But flavor was nice. Guests ordered a double-stuffed potato they said was good. Salad was fresh but too much dressing! Ask for it on the side unless you want to scrape it off. Desserts were fabulous though. The chocolate brownie with ice cream was the favorite.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I couldn't wait to rate this restaurant! One of Phoenix's original favorites and I can't say enough good things about this place. Original, nostalgic and charming come to mind. Anyone who was anybody in Phoenix, in the old days, dined here on a regular basis. Everyone uses the back door through the kitchen as the entrance. A nice touch making you feel like you somehow belong there. Excellent food and service with a hint of sophistication. Very popular with the older set and, downtown business types for lunch. Awesome menu cooked to perfection with all the "Old School" Phoenix charm you could ask for. If your in the area for lunch or dinner, give Durant's a visit. You'll be glad for the experience.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

moved here from Chgo (land of the best food) so I set the bar very HIGH -& this place hit it-- granted the prices are not cheap-but the quality is outstanding been there lunch & dinner steaks are top of the line quality-plus we always see top names there i.e. our Sheriff Joe Arpiao -
last time we saw Henry Winkler -service is great mostly male servers-NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED! if one rings they quickly & very politely ask you to take it outside.
rarely see children!

1  Thank ketelboeter
Reviewed January 22, 2013

If we walked by this restaurant we most likely would not have stopped but it was recommended so we went in and WOW what a pleasant surprise!! Love the old school "good 'ole boy" steakhouses. Decor was perfect, dinner was delicious and prompt and the service was excellent.

1  Thank PhiladelphiaSmile