“Good food, not so good experience”
Review of Ruth's Chris Steak House - CLOSED

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Cross street: 22nd Street
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have patronized Ruth's Chris for years, averaging once a month. Our last visit was for my birthday last June and it was unfortunately our final visit. We have always had good food and service there until this last time. We were seated in one of the least desirable areas of the restaurant even though we were there upon opening. I had to ask to be reseated and was fussed at before we were moved. I watched the flow of patrons and that night the restaurant was never full so it was fully within their ability to move us without a fuss. A short while later a family came in with a small child and a McDonalds bag!! This kid was about three and was wild. He played loud video games and started running around the restaurant. Yes, this is bad parenting but surely there could have been some intervention. To the other side of us a famous Arizonan came in with her group and occupied the attention of most of the servers. (Had I received the attention she did for doing the same thing as she - eating at the restaurant- I probably would have given 5 stars). The final straw was that I ordered my steak medium rare and got medium. I informed my server that the steak was overdone and I would like another. I was told that it was probably the lighting and to go ahead and try it to see if I liked it. REALLY!!!!!!!!! So, in conclusion, Ruth's Chris usually serves a pretty good meal and their steak is delicious when prepared to order but all of the commotion and lack of great service that night has sent us to many of the other good restaurants in town. Pity.

1  Thank topdivemama

Reviewed February 16, 2013

How could you say anything bad about Ruth's Chris? A delightful dinner. This one is tucked away in an office building, but was amazingly spacious and well appointed inside. Service was attentive and the food fabulous.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had a really hard time trying to figure out where to park. This place is on Camelback, but the valet parking is off to the west side of their building, and its not well marked. You can't tell if you're parking for the restaurant or the apartment complex right behind it.

I found the service to be nice. Nothing spectacular, but everyone was fairly polite.

The atmosphere was very...stuffy, to say the least. Typical white cloth table spreads, everything is ala carte, $$$-$$$$ level pricing.

Their steaks were decent, but nothing to write home about.

Their side dishes were excellent, they really made the trip here worthwhile because of how average the steaks were.

Cocktails were nice, albeit pricey. I wasn't impressed by their take of the grayhound, but my colleague had nice wine there.

I didn't find anything distinguishing this place from Donovan's, which is not an insult, but rather a testament to how this place doesn't stand out above the other options available in Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Balance of great appetizers and entrees. Well trained wait staff. Typical steak house decor. A bit crowded, ie, tables close together. All in all would go back.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had dinner there on a Friday evening in January with my parents. The food was very good, bordering on excellent. Our server (Sean) was superb - very knowledgeable and friendly. He knew the menu inside and out and easily answered all of the questions we had. My Mom was exceptionally happy with the Scallops she ordered, my father equally happy with the petite filet and lobster. I ordered the filet (Medium) and it was very good. The edges were a bit over-done, thus the downgrade from excellent to very good. Our salads were good, the sides we chose were all eaten until gone. The bread that was served was also very good, Dessert was included in the three-course specials that we ordered, and the chocolate cake was outstanding. Kudos to Ruth's for including the standard size filet on the three course menu, they could have easily skimped out, and they did not. So the meal was indeed very good. Not inexpensive mind you, but very good. Expect $70 - $90 per, including tax and tip. That's for the three course meals, too. We saw a group of businessmen next to us, clearly dining on the company dime, for whom $90 per would have been cheap.

I would comment on the ease of access for the mobility challenged however. I had to drop my folks off in front of the restaurant on Camelback, because getting access to the dining room from the main foyer was almost impossible, even with valet. You have to come up the stairs, or up the wheelchair friendly ramp to get access to the hostess stand, and then proceed down a very steep flight of stairs to get to the bar or dining room. No ramp or elevator in the restaurant is available. This was not a viable option for my father, and thus, the exercise to drop him off, on a busy street. I'd also mention that the rest rooms are also on the main floor ACROSS from the restaurant, not IN the dining room. No biggie, unless you have mobility challenges...

Ruth's is certainly on par with Morton's or Donovan's and I think, a step above Flemming's. For a very nice meal out, when you know that you'll be spending some cash, Ruth's is a very good choice indeed.