“Local Mexican Food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We chose this restaurant because of the reviews we read and were not disappointed. We ordered the shredded beef tacos. They were delicious. Super fast service and very reasonably priced. They only take cash, so be prepared. We enjoyed our meal!!!

1  Thank mgmaple

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We went here for dinner. We got there around $ pm. The service was really good. As soon as we sat down, a server put water on the table. Seconds after that another server brought out chips and sauce. No complaints at all about the friendly and efficient service.

Unfortunately, the food was not too good. The sauce with the chips tasted like tomato sauce with some red pepper flakes tossed in. My wife said it tasted like ketchup. She took one bite of her chicken enchilada and set it aside. My taco was very over cooked so that I could not eat the shell it was so hard. My cheese enchilada and beef tamale were okay I guess, but I've had better tasting food at Taco Bell. However, the side if guacamole that I had was the highlight. It was excellent! And the iced tea was perfect with plentiful and rapid refills.

I should also add that they did not charge for my wife's enchilada that she did not eat.

Like I said, the service was great, but not the food. Not sure if it was because we went there kind of late or what, but it was not good.

I wouldn't go back for a meal, but I would stop back in for some iced tea and guacamole.

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoyed the food. The waitress told me the best thing on the menu was anything with shredded beef. I got the Mexican pizza with shredded beef instead of ground beef. It was very good and plenty big. The prices were very good and the service was amazing. My glass never got past half full. The only downside is the building is very old and run down. If you like a local dive with good value quality food, this is a good place.

1  Thank Chargerbum
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

We used Trip Advisor to find a Mexican restaurant & this place is very good. The service was great & the staff was friendly as well as attentive. The neighborhood looked a little sketchy at night, but I'm not from Phoenix so it may be my impression. Don't let it discourage you from visiting Don Jose's. You should know that they only accept cash.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Ok, I am a Don Jose junkie. I cried when they closed, it was like losing an old friend since my family started going when the opened in the 70's I think. I jumped for joy when they re-opened; it was so exciting to have the same menu and same recipes, even the hot sauce is the same. Their beans are just so creamy, mild, and cheesy, some of the best I ever have had. Try the bean burro enchilada style, can't beat it. they have re-styled the menu and added new selections. The blue corn shell carnitas tacos are a winner ( and very eye- appealing too); now I have to fight with myself to stay true to the beef which I also love, or branch out to the carnitas; so nice to have that conudrum! Price is so low, you won't be disappointed. Even though I give it an average for atmosphere, I hope they never change it as it is comforting to have it look so much the same after all these years. The matador paintings are cool retro old Phoenix. Support these small family owned restaurants instead of the big chains, good for your tummy, wallet, and Phoenix economy!

1  Thank ascott510510