“New Mexico with an AZ twist”
Review of Richardson's

Richardson's
Reserve with OpenTable
Richardson's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 3,080 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Cross street: Maryland
Southern California
“New Mexico with an AZ twist”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I chose the carne adovada, it was not New Mexican style, which I would say swims in red Chile sauce. This carne adovada was smoked and well cooked with a real tenderness to it.
My lunch mates had fish entrees, all of which looked delicious and were eaten all up.
Overall a great dining experience. A bit more spendy than a cantina. atmosphere was very nice. Fireplace and candles. Very dark, it will take a few moments to get your eyes adjusted.
Recommend.

• Visited May 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food. Service was good”
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Went on a recommendation by local, food was amazing. Service was not the best but it was worth it. Better than top rated place.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Mexican Food”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

A great place for mexican food. Many selections to choose from. I had the carne adovada and it was superb-best I've had since I was in Albuquerque. Margaritas are great and the atmosphere very southwestern. Fun way to spend an evening!!!!!

Visited April 2013
Mt Airy NC
“Don't argue with the customer”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

In the end, my food was passable that's why it wasn't a total loss. Low lighting adds to ambiance but not being able to read the menu is a problem. Maybe not a large one usually but significant in our case. Two of our guests asked the waitress repeatedly how spicy was each dish. They settled on fish with no sauce. I love stuffed poblano peppers and ordered that. I expected spicy. Mine was not edible. I was, however, content to eat just the beans and rice and scrape off the sauce. My husbands sides were just as potent. When the waitress asked what was wrong. I explained. Instead of sorry, or no problem, she said the menu had a disclaimer that once food was ordered it could not be changed or replaced. The menu was still at the table and we searched for this now important statement. It is under the name of the restaurant where a street address might be found. How could we have missed it in the dark? So I offered that I would be happy with just the side dishes replaced. I did not want to have the meal wrapped up to take home. Why would that help? It wasn't edible.
The managed was called over and he agreed to "washed off" the poblanos and replace the sides. The next plate had beans and rice that were spiced but not impossible to eat. What a relief!
What would I change? Put a big sign over the door that states the " policy" Don't hide it. Better yet, make sure your customer knows that even if its not edible, its their problem not the staff's. I wonder if the main had been burnt to a crisp would the attitude have been the same?

1 Thank Gina S
Payson, Arizona
“Service lacking & oversized lunch portions”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was the first time our party of four had been to Richardson's since the fire. We had heard that the new building was nice and we were eager to try it. We went in to the hostess stand at lunch and asked if we could sit outside. The tables were taken but we thought we could sit in the "lounge" area for lunch until we realized that the tables were really built to put drinks on and not eat off of. We decided to go inside after realizing our mistake and the hostess was really put off and became disinterested in us being there. We got a corner booth and were looking forward to a good lunch. Our lunch service was so so and it was not a busy day. The food overall was good except one person in our party had a steak sandwich and he was very disappointed in it. He said it was way overcooked and was like shoe leather. He decided not to send it back since it took a while to get our order in the first place.

We are 50/50 on going back. Lunch could be a little better by offering smaller portions and lowering the price. We don't mind paying money for good food but I don't really need to pay $15 to $20 per plate for lunch and get enough food for an entire day. We don't have the option of taking food to go with us since we do not live in Phoenix so a large portion like this ends up going in the trash which is a shame.