“Good Chinese Food!”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Liked very much their food! It has nice flavor and taste in simple and inviting ambiance!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

The Desert Jade is a neighborhood restaurant with excellent service and great food. The food is very light on oil, the vegetables crisp and fresh, and the beef and pork lean and flavorful. The pan fried noodles in the chow mein dishes are delicious. The chef is always willing to customize dishes, for example, serving vegetarian versions of most entrees.

2  Thank Wendy D
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I agree with someone else who said the smaller independent Chinese restaurants are better than the huge chains. They're more intimate, quiet, and have attention to the details of food and service.

Living in SW Phoenix, the closest I get to real Chinese food is the likes of Panda Palace, which doesn't use authentic Chinese veggies. I've lived where there's really good Chinese food, and Desert Jade is worth the trip for the more authentic taste. They use the Chinese vegetables like Bok Choy, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, and more. The sauces are delicious too.

Making a special trip to come here 1/2 hour from where my wife and I live tells you it's worth it. The lighting is kind of dim but intimate; the decor nothing fancy, but warm.

I ordered a small bowl of egg drop soup to start. It was enough for two, and the waiter was nice enough to take the bowl and dish it out to two smaller cups to share. The soup was very good, having some thin-sliced mushrooms and carrots in it as well, to give it extra flavor.

A pot of hot tea came with the meal and we got two glasses of ice water without asking. I ordered as an entree shrimp and scallops with veggies, and my wife got the beef with ginger. We got the brown rice.

After we finished the soup, it didn't take long for the entrees to come. I thought the shrimp in my dish were exceptionally tasty compared to many places that have little tasteless shrimp. The scallops were good, and there were plenty of vegetables in a light sauce. My wife commented on her dish that the ginger was in larger pieces, packing more of a flavor punch. The rice was perfectly cooked and flavorful.

The servers were very attentive and cheerful, removing plates when done and refilling water as necessary.

I have been here a couple times before and have always been happy with the service and the food. I would also recommend any moo shu dish: the pancakes practically melt in your mouth and the sauce is delicious.

1  Thank harvo1
Reviewed December 24, 2011

The vegetarian items were hot & sour soup (OK), mu shu vegetables (good) and fried & breaded asparagus (very good). The shrimp with walnuts was very good, lemon chicken was OK. "Spicy" indicators mean they put in a few flakes of chili, so go crazy. I've had better, but I've been to China Town in both San Francisco and Oakland. The Phoenix crowd LOVES this place.

Reviewed February 21, 2010

This is the best Chinese food in the valley- hands down. The sizzling rice soup is excellent! They use only white meat chicken breast in all the dishes. The pork is lean and very flavorful. Service is prompt, and the staff is very friendly. The restaurant owner will even share her recipes with you. Don't be deterred by the outdated atmosphere- this is the real deal!

1  Thank Raganreview