“Almost Perfecto!”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Reviewed May 31, 2014

The Havana Cafe offers a broad menu of Latin and Caribbean dishes on its menu. The atmosphere is laid back and casual. The service staff was attentive and offered great recommendations from the menu. The Seviche was wonderful. If you have the time, the Paella de Havana for two is well worth the time it takes to prepare. Save room for some of the best coconut flan you'll ever have.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Back for a second time and really enjoyed it.....however, I have to admit that the Sailors Paella was a bit of a disappointment ....it was dry and the shrimp were so small and tasteless....will not order that again....the fish that a friend ordered was good as was the crispy chicken dish.....
all in all would go back but not for the paella

Reviewed April 27, 2014

A lovely little place to enjoy dinner with friends, good food, good service without the hassles. When in Phoenix stop by for some great Cuban food , you will be glad you did.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I found the Havana Cafe in Fodors and it was close to my hotel, so we gave it a try. I did not want to go to a chain restaurant, and found this to be a unique spot with dishes I had never tasted before. We decided that when we go back there we will just have the small plates so we can experience more of what the restaurant has to offer.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I'm here on business and wanted to see if Phoenix had any good mojitos. I always head to a Cuban restaurant when seeking an authenitc mojito. Having lived in NY and eaten in just about every Cuban joint in NYC, I know a good mojito. This place made a decent one, but not outstanding. It was a little overly sweet, but that may have just been the heavy hand of the waitress/bartender. No sugar cane either. But she didn't skimp at all on the rum, and, compared to NYC, $6.25 for a mojito is an absolute steal On Mondays they're $3 all day! I'll be back.

But I digress. I went in there craving picadillo, but also hadn't had any ropa vieja for a while. I couldn't make up my mind and asked the waitress what she would recommend. She said there are so many onions and peppers in the ropa that you can hardly find the meat. That settled it. I ordered the picadillo and never looked back. It was delicious! The accompanying black beans and rice were amazingly flavorful, especially since I'm a red beans kind of girl. I had started with an avocado salad, and that was the only area for improvement that I saw that day. The lettuce was shredded, like you would put on a sandwich. This made it really hard to eat, as those shreds didn't want to stay on the fork. I found that very odd, and once I picked out the avocado, tomato and red onion, I left the plate full of lettuce for the waitress to take back. For dessert I had tres leche to go, which was also very good.

This is a small place, nothing fancy - they don't even have a bar. I went in mid-afternoon on a Saturday and had the place to myself for while, other than a couple sitting outside. My waitress was friendly and, based on her comment about the ropa vieja, very honest! I found the prices, compared to NYC, to be beyond reasonable. I will be in Phoenix on business quite a bit and can't wait to go back, hopefully on a Monday.