“Great Atmosphere; great wine list”

Compass Room at The Hyatt Regency
Ranked #94 of 3,088 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 2nd & Adams
Transit: Light rail stop at 3rd ST & Washington when heading Westbound or Central & Adams when heading Eastbound
MI
“Great Atmosphere; great wine list”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I was staying at the Hyatt for business and had dinner with some colleagues. The first night we had wine and many appetizers. The lobster bisque was outstanding, as was the charcouterie plate, calmari and shrimp ceviche. The revolving view of Phoenix was especially nice with the sun setting. Service was attentive and it was a fun evening. The second night I went back by myself for dinner. I got a poor table right near the service station (which I didn't really mind, being alone and without reservation), but it was a week night and the restaurant was not full. I waited a long time for my wine and a really long time for my dessert. Service was no where near as good. However, the scallops were a treat.

• Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona, Usa
“Brunch”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Compass Room is a must do for bruch. Food was fantastic, the views are spectacular. I took my nieces and sister in law for brunch and to introduce them to downtown Phoenix, This place was perfect.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Lori S
Portland, Oregon
“Not Worth the Money”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

If it had been half the price, maybe. But I don't feel it was worth the money at all. In addition to the rather shabby decor and dingy fixtures, many of the plaques that make up the compass points were missing. While not a deal breaker, one would assume that at their prices they could keep up the appearance a bit more.

We ordered drinks and dessert. Their dessert was okay. The creme brulee was uninspired and passable. The drink menu was also just okay. Again, at the price point this restaurant offers, I expected more.

What really put this all over the top is the poor service. While our waiter was actually friendly, service was quite slow. After our experience being seated that was nothing. We came in about 8:30pm and we were told there was a 25 minute wait for a table. We asked them to call down to our room when the table was ready so we could wait in comfort as there wasn't really a waiting area. Well, we never got the call. Eventually after about 40 minutes had passed I called them to see about the table and they claimed they called our room with no answer. We were there the whole time. 5 people don't miss hearing a phone call.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank rglbrgl
CLT
“Don't book a 5:30 reservation”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We tried the Compass based on recommendation of a friend. The food was good and portions were enough for two. Wait staff was attentive and pleasant. If you book a 5:30 reservation at Compass, THE "24" ELEVATOR BUTTON DOES NOT WORK UNTIL 5:30 pm EXACTLY!!! I don't understand why they don't tell you this when calling to make a reservation for 5:30, but they don't...and it is a huge frustration that could easily be avoided. Others had the same issue. Mistakenly, I expected the same service quality from Compass reservation staff that I get from Hyatt. It was disappointing to not be informed of this pertinent detail. We road up & down the crowded elevator numerous times till "24" finally worked (got off on 21 & tried that trick without success either). No one at Compass seemed to be phased by my complaint; the "it happens all the time" attitude was pervasive. Led to a rocky dinner :(

We randomly found out that this detail is listed in the "hotel info" guide, which we didn't have time to look at that before calling, nor is that intuitive, nor necessary at other hotels. When we finally got into our room, we called immediately for reservations, a quick freshen-up and left for dinner. There are other signs listing which bank of elevators to use - it could be added to existing signage.

Otherwise, food was good; waiters/waitresses were pleasant & helpful; view of Phoenix was nice; prices were reasonable. Omit the terrible start with the reservation/elevator, it would have been a delightful experience. Too bad the staff doesn't understand how a "little" detail like that can put a blight on even the best of meals.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank cup-of-jo
Greenville, South Carolina
“Average food”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Had a business dinner. The wine was average. The salad was nothing outstanding.

Surprising the Ratatouille was not a soupy variety but a solid one and not bad though the portion was small. The dessert was average. For the prices charged for the food it was a rip off.

As to the views, it is a revolving restaurant but come on, how much enthralled can you be after the first time it goes around. How many time can you look at the Bank of America broken sign or the US airways Center. I was totally disinterested after the 1st minute or two.

• Visited November 2013