“Outdated and Ugly Venue”

Grady Gammage Auditorium
Slinger, WI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Outdated and Ugly Venue”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Before I start, this review is for the venue, not any performances it happens to host. The shows Gammage does attract are generally first rate from what was shown on the website for the 2012-2013 season.

My girlfriend and I were visiting my parents and we decided to pick up a show, this time being Peter Pan. We had fourth row seats, so I cannot really comment on the sound quality, as this seemed to be an issue that afflicted those further back from the other reviews that I had read. Sound was fine where we were, but there really should be no other expectation this close to the stage. The big disappointment was overall condition of the facility. For a venue that hosts world class touring productions, I was not expecting painted concrete floors and lumpy seats with fraying cloth. To me this seemed more on par for a middle school or high school auditorium.

Also heavily noted by others are the huge lines for the restrooms, most notably for the women where it is impossible to visit during intermission and be able to get back to the show on time.

Last is the aesthetics of the theater itself, which both of us found to be incredibly ugly. I know styles change and this was a FLW piece, but like most buildings from the late 50's and early 60's, it has not aged well. Concrete walls with very little visual interest does not make it architecturally significant, no matter who the designer is. Overall, I would have to rate this as the worst theater that I have been to for a major production and have visited 15-20 nationwide - most of them in the upper Midwest.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank jotunheim

Phoenix, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Broadway show !”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This season's line-up is very diverse. I have season tickets this year. The productions are professional and entertaining. I have attended shows at Gammage for years. Though I would discourage people from sitting in the last row or two in the balcony. You may not be able to see the entire set. The acoustics are good, not great. The seating is comfortable.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Larissa M
Phoenix
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Sound always difficult unless you are right up front”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have been to many events here. Unless you can afford and buy early enough to be in the front section, middle, the sound is bad. It's too bad because it was supposed to be the opposite when it was designed.

1 Thank Covisioner
Danbury, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Firetrap”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I attended a presentation earlier this year. We sat in the center of the mezzanine. There are rows but no aisles. It would have been impossible to exit the theater in the case of an emergency without waiting for 40 or 50 people to exit on either side of us. I do not understand why there are no rows to offer additional escape options.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Want2HaveFun14
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Plays and more”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I went there for Phantom of the Opera, and the acting and sound was amazing. I would go there again in a heartbeat if I could.

1 Thank Sabrina K