“Not A Restful Stay”

Ranked #12 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
md
“Not A Restful Stay”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I travel quite a bit and this was one of the worst hotel stays that I've had in recent memory. I could not get any rest and I was tired throughout much of my stay. Much of it had to do with the fact that the people in the room above me were incredibly loud. I couldn't tell if the floors/walls were thin or if the other people were that loud. They made loud bumping and thumping noises throughout the day and into the night. It was as if they were playing football or basketball in the room. I made repeated calls to the front desk, but they were not helpful.

The maid service was terrible. It got a little worse each day. I called the front desk on the day when she came in & didn't dump the trash, leave clean facial cloths, wash the tub, leave toiletries, etc.

I didn't have a room with a full kitchen. I was in a standard room with a microwave, small fridge, and dishes. The room was small and the quarters were fairly cramped. I had been here for a few days and the sheets clearly needed to be changed. When I complained to the front desk they told me that since it was a timeshare they didn't change sheets, but that they would do it. I didn't pay to stay at a timeshare, I paid for a hotel.

They have a shuttle to the mall but it only runs for 3 hours in the morning. After that you have to take the shuttle from Canyon Villas to the main hotel & wait from the city shuttle. Waiting for so many shuttles to and from the main hotel in such oppressive heat was unpleasant. Sometimes the Canyon Villas shuttle would just be sitting outside of the JW, but the driver said that he was not allowed to take a few passengers. He had to wait until every 30 minutes even though the ride would have only taken a couple minutes.

I would never stay at this hotel if the main event was at the JW because of how much time you spend shuttling and waiting in the heat. Even beyond that, I wouldn't stay because my room was so noisy & asking for assistance from the staff was a waste of time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
7 Thank iamloved

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
LOS ANGELES, CA
Reviewed September 5, 2009

We are on our final day of our week-long stay at Marriott's Canyon Villas. We really enjoyed the resort which has nice size units and great pools. Guests can also take advantage of the facilities at the JW Marriott at Desert Ridge (right next door) which has a really fun and relaxing lazy river pool which we all just loved. The other pools are just a nice and the restaurants are really good too. There is great shopping in the area and a complimentary shuttle bus that goes to the local shopping center. Overall a nice vacation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
England
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We have been to a few different timeshare resorts in Phoenix but liked this one the best.

I called 2 weeks before to request a room close to the pool and this was given when I checked in. i liked the free wireless internet in the room. We had a one bedroomed room and it was clean, spacious and had everything we needed. The pool, at CV was great and never too crowded. Loved the friendly bar people at the pool as well, especially when it was happy hour. No one over pestered us to attend their presentation either.
We also liked the fact you can use the JW across the road. The lazy river there was great. We used the shuttle bus once and also drove there and parked and when we did that there is a guy who drives around the car park in a golf cart picking up people and taking them to the reception to save walking in the heat.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Bailda
Beckley, WV
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I was in Phoenix for a conference at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort where I stayed 4 nights. I then left and went to the Grand Canyon and stayed in Sedona before returning to Phoenix to fly back home. I stayed one night at the Canyon Villas. I wish I had stayed EVERY night at Canyon Villas. I had a one bedroom villa and it was beautiful. Granite countertops in the full kitchen, washer & dryer were full size as well. The bedroom was a nice size with a nice, large television. Beside the bedroom was a soaking tub and separate vanity/sink that connected to the bathroom that had a large shower, another vanity, etc. The villa was clean, comfortable and very roomy. If people don't mind sharing a bed, 4 people could comfortably sleep in the one bedroom that has a king bed and queen sofabed.

We used the pool as well and loved it. In that intense Phoenix heat, I was comfortable lying in a lounge chair in the sun with the misters just above me to keep me cool. There were quite a few families at the pool but it was still very nice and relaxing. For those who want "more" to do, guests of the Canyon Villas have access to the JW Marriott Desert Ridge spa and pools, as well. There is a shuttle that will take you back and forth, but you can also park on your own there. But, self-parking is a long way from the main hotel.

Additionally, the parking was covered which kept the car from feeling like an oven when we got in.

If I ever go back to Phoenix, I will definitely stay at the Canyon Villas. It was wonderful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Doone8253
Gibsonia, PA
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Having vacationed 3 times at the Marriot Aruba Surf Club, we were expecting a packed pool and lobby. Nothing can be further from the truth. Every day, we could get poolside chairs no matter what time we arrived. In addition, the pool volleyball and basketball, and the poolside ping pong and pool was awesome for our kids. Only downside is that its HOT here this time of year. :-)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank PAHoosiers
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed at Canyon Villas in July 2009 for our 10th anniversary in a king studio. The resort was nice. Pools are great. People were helpful. Love that you also have access to all the JW Marriott amenities. The restaurants at the JW were not as good as the rest of the resort. We went off property to local places after the first day. Great pools for kids and adults. We would return!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed July 21, 2009

This property is first-class, not Four Seasons over-the-top luxury, but comfortable and very well done purpose-built timeshare property. Free internet is a nice touch. We stayed in a studio lock-off with limited kitchen facilities, but the small fridge, microwave, toaster and blender, along with plates, silverware, an array of glasses is plenty for most travelers. Pools and hot-tubs are scattered around the property, and several new stainless-steel grills are available for guests to use. There is a "market " on the property that stocks some essentials and DVDs for $1.00. If you'd rather not eat in the unit or cook on the grills there are almost unlimited dining opportunities within minutes. And shopping is plentiful in Phoenix and Scottsdale. For golfers, the area is nirvana.

But the real plus is the access to the JW Marriott across the road and golf course. there is a shuttle to the JW every half-hour, and the pools, spa, and restaurants at the JW are great, including a Roy's and an excellent Italian restaurant, Tuscany. It's like staying at the JW. Canyon Villas is great for families, an the access to the JW makes it a great place for single and couples as well.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple