“Perfect Vacation”

Marriott's Canyon Villas
Ranked #21 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed May 21, 2009

We just returned from a week at the Resort, we loved everything about it. The location is wonderful, close to everything. The staff at the resort are first class all the way, friendly, helpful and fun. The Villa we had (3003) could not have been better. Could not say one bad thing about the Resort. We can not wait to go back and we have told everyone we know how great our trip was especially Canyon Villas.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 9, 2009

Yes, we titled it sunny, as it was everyday and happiness, because you just feel happy while you are in that area of the US. My husband and I (just shy of our 40's) traveled, as guests with my parents to the villas. They had the main room with the kitchen and living area and we had the "lockout" second bedroom. Everyone has commented on the cleanliness of the villas and we concur! Loved having our own balcony, fridge and microwave in our unit., as well as the separate entrance.

Pool area at the villas are nice, however, don't sit by the gated entrances, as the gates slam quite loudly all day long with people running in and out of the area. They really need to change this in the very near future! Also, would be nice to have drink service while you lounge...they don't. But is not a hike at all over to the outdoor bar. See Kelsey, she is awesome!!

Must go to the JW Marriott pools!! Property is gorgeous with impeccably groomed landscape, huge palm trees and little streams running everywhere. Pools are quite nice and most lounge chairs have a red flag that you can raise for service~~ excellent. Their sandwiches by the pool are fantastic and only around $12. Domestic beer $4.50 and imports $5.50. Mixed fun drinks are around $9. Order the Waterslide Splash~~ smirnoff raspberry vodka and Citron vodka, Chambord, cranberry juice and lemonade. Lazy river is free and quite nice. As others have written, we did have a problem with our key for the pool, but the front desk at the JW was more than helpful to rectify the situation.

Did do the 90 minute presentation for the timeshare and was given $100 in Marriott money. 2 tips: One, the presentation went to 3 hours!!! So, be prepared to say no to both the initial person and then the 2nd person they say they are sending in to do the survey. Noooo, she is there is push another type of deal. Anyway, just be firm if you are not interested, although, in all fairness, it IS interesting!! Two, use the $$$ certificates during your stay at the restaurants or spa. We tried to use them at checkout because we had $400 in food bills and they would not accept them! Thank you to George, at the front desk who tried for us! My Father had to hammer it all out with the sales staff the next day, but we should have just used them during our stay.

Did not use the spa, although I did walk in to check it out. Very nice.

Numerous restaurants at the JW Marriott. We ate at Roy's, Meritage Steakhouse. Both very good. Prime rib is smoked at Meritage, so if you don't like it smoked (like myself), then order with caution. All others enjoyed their selections. Oh yes, choose the prime rib sliders( three of them) which is a $15 appetizer! So worth it and you won't need an entree!

After dinner sit on the outside patio, with the guy playing the guitar, tiki torches lightly burning over at Roy's, palm trees lit with white/lavendar lights and the grassy area with flowers encircling it. See--happiness!!

We also went over the the MacDonald Ranch and went horseback riding for an hour ~~ I believe it was only $40 per person. Our young authentic cowboy, Colt, was very nice and grew up w/ horses. They also recommend the moonlight trail ride which we were going to do, but I chickened out thinking bugs would get me. He said it is one of the best rides. My horse, Azul, was so gentle, a 5 year old could have ridden him!! Please tip the wrangler, as he was SO grateful!

And as numerous others have written, the Canyon Villa bus is excellent to transport you to various locations. Abundant choices of restaurants close by as well.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank alexandria920
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My mother (age 60+), brother (age 5) and I (age 30+) stayed 3 nights in a 2-bedroom, 2 bathroom suite from April 7-10. We were in rooms 3333 and 3334 in the same complex as the last reviewer, but had a completely opposite experience.

The 2-bedroom suite is a combined 1-bedroom suite and studio suite. The rooms were very clean and housekeeping was great and unobtrusive. Each bedroom has its own balcony; the balcony off of the living room shares a balcony with the master bedroom. We overlooked the golf course and, beyond that, the busy road that runs parallel with the property. Even though the road is busy, though, we had no issue with traffic noise. Maybe the last reviewer kept the doors open at night, but we didn't hear any noise from the road. In the evening, the road isn't very busy and I would sit out on the balcony to relax and for fresh air. I found it very peaceful without any noise disturbance.

The studio suite has a king-sized bed, kitchenette with microwave and small fridge, sleeper-sofa, small table, large bathroom and tv. The one-bedroom suite has a large kitchen with full-size stove, fridge, washer-dryer, dishwasher, and microwave. The counters and buffet bar are granite-covered and open to the living/dining room area which contains a table that seats 6, another sleeper sofa, a large coffee table and tv. There is also a water feature in entryway to the kitchen/living/dining room area. The masterbedroom has a king-size bed with a comfortable chair and tv. Off of the bedrooom is a makeup room with a large soaking tub and another room that has a large walk-in shower and the toilet.

Free wireless service was included with the room.

The kitchen was stocked with everything you would need to cook (pots, pans, knives. mixing bowls, measuring cups, etc.) and to serve dinner (plates, silverware, glasses, mugs, etc.). Dishwashing liquid, a sponge, dishclothes, and laundry detergent were provided. There is a large mall-type complex a block from the hotel with a large Albertsons grocery store. We bought enough food for the 3-days, including fresh fruits, deli meats and cheese, French bread, eggs. One night, some family members that live in Phoenix came by and I served dinner for 5 adults and 4 children very comfortable in the suite.

Next to the 3300 grouping of villas is the kids pool and sprinkler area. The pool also has several sprinklers in it (e.g., palm trees, a frog and a snake that shoot water). My little brother and cousins had a blast using the pool (ages 8, two 5-year olds and a 4 year-old). The water is heated and I also enjoyed running around the pool with them. Since the water is less than 2-feet deep in its deepest spot, it is a great place for adults to enjoy the sun without constantly worrying about the kids. Older kids may find this pool boring, but there is another, standard pool on the property, and the pools at the JW Marriott property.

The 3300 grouping of villas is one of the farthest from the main reception area but, unless you have trouble walking, the walk is quick and very pleasant with the very-beautiful landscaping to see and many jack rabbits and desert-birds. We all walked (including the 5-year old and 60+ year old) to the reception area and to the JW Marriott many times and had no problem with the walk. In fact, having come from Northeast Ohio, we enjoyed the sun, the green grass, and the beautiful desert plans (one note of caution - do not touch the plants - the 5 year old found this out the hard way).

The 5-year old spent one full-day and one half-day at the Nickelodeon Camp at the JW Marriott property and enjoyed his time there. My mother and I also enjoyed our mani/pedicure at the Spa salon.

I had no trouble with the service at the property. We called once for additional packets of coffee which were promptly delivered and my request for a late checkout time was honered (ask early in your stay).

Overall, my experience at the Villas was excellent and I would recommend it to anyone, especially if you are traveling with children.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank caseysmiles
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We just returned from our trip to the Canyon Villas. We were put in room 3331 which is feet away from a six lane highway intersection. The highway noise was so loud we could hardly hear each other talk. I felt like I was staying at a motor lodge, not at a vacation resort. At night you could hear trucks and motorcycles rolling by. We asked to switch rooms, and were given a bit of a run around at the front desk, and eventually told they did not have any rooms to move us to.

The block of buildings we stayed in had a small wading pool nearby which was about 1 1/2 feet deep, but my kids got bored easily with that. That meant having to drive to the pool at the canyon villas or drive over to the JW Marriott. If you go to the JW Marriott pool, be prepared, you will have to park far from the front entrance and it is quite a hike back to the pool. There are shuttle busses, but because of our building location we had to drive to the bus stop anyway. I think that if you stayed in several of the other buildings you might be able to walk to the canyon villa pool, but if you are in the outer building near the highway you will need to drive.

We also experienced some disatisfaction with the desk clerks. I called 7 or 8 times down to the lobby, and the phone had to ring 10-12 times before someone answered, or there was no answer at all. I am sure it was a busy weekend, so perhaps that is the reason for the slow responses. But they were unable to help us with even the simplest questions, and then told us they would call us back with an answer and never did. We also had problems when we checked out with the kids club charges not hitting up, and an issue surrounding the use of our Marriott gift card. We have checked out of the hotel and I have made six or seven calls and am still working to get this resolved.

My kids loved the kids club at the JW Marriott. There is also a mall right across the street. We had pouring rain during one of the days during our vacation, and it was nice to have it as an option to go across the street to the movies.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Caitie02
Reviewed March 16, 2009

This is a great resort for all ages! Great pool area, they even have a kid pool for ages 2-10 that is fantastic. Rooms are large, clean and supplied with anything you need for a great stay. J.W. Marriott is right there, you can use the pool or any of the services while you stay. J.W. has a 5 acre pool area that is alot of fun, lazy river and 4 other pools to hang out by. The food at the pool was good and not over priced. This property has a open feel that you just don't see these days with the price of construction. Shuttle takes you to and from JW as well as the mall across the street. The mall area is a good place to have dinner, shop it even has a grocery store (Albertsons). The Keg restraunt was the best meal for us at the mall. All ages will enjoy this property!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vacationsamany
Reviewed March 15, 2009

We loved our stay here! We had a two bedroom villa which had comfortable beds, well-appointed kitchen and furniture, high-speed internet, great pools/hot tubs. The kids loved it. We also had access to the 5-star sister hotel, within walking distance, which had a lazy river. There were other activities for kids including a pool table, "big chess" game. One night (Monday) of entertainment with a singing cowboy. Very close to a large mall with shopping and lots of restaurants. This facility borders a nice golf course, too.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2009

We visited the Marriott's Canyon Villa's from Feb.26th-Mar.2,2009. We had a nice room. The hotel was extremely clean. the beds great. There was a safe, microwave and refrigerator in the room. The hotel staff was very helpful, especially Heather, the concierge ,who helped book my tour. I especially liked the pools. You could also use the pools at the nearby JW Marriott which were awesome. We went on a wonderful tour with DETOURS (they pick you up at the hotel) to the Grand Canyon and Sedona. I would highly recommend this tour if you are in Arizona for only a few days. Go to Talisien West ,Old Town Scottsdale and the Cactus Botannical Gardens.
The are MANY MALLS and RESTAURANTS near the hotel-mostly chains. I would highly recommend La Fontanella an authentic Italian restaurant on 4231 E. Indian School Road.
You really need to rent a car . Everything, except the malls , is far away.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple