“Fantastic place in the desert”

Marriott's Canyon Villas
Ranked #13 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Chilliwack, Canada
“Fantastic place in the desert”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We love this place and try and come once a year. The staff are awesome and setting is beautiful. I would say it caters to an older crowd and family's . There are quiet pools and kids pools. The rooms are really nice although a touch outdated. Lots of room though especially if you have a one bedroom. My only complaint would be the pillows. They are tiny!!!! And the bed is a touch hard for me. I prefer the heavenly bed at the westin.
We love a room overlooking the courtyard. All the lights are gorgeous at night.
I love all the restaurants around this resort. So many options. We also love that we can use the JW Marriott next door. That hotel is the most gorgeous hotel I have ever seen. The pools and the lazy river over there are fantastic!!! Great happy hour options everywhere. I can't wait til next year!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debathome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Burlington, New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

The Marriott hotel on the Desert Ridge property is a gem. The normal conference hotel is nice but this property sets you away from the crowds for an intimate and exclusive type of stay. Loy's of nice features. I love that they have a vegetable/herb garden for guests to use.

• Stayed May 2013
Illinois
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed for three nights and loved it. Wished we had longer. Delays by the airlines into cut our stay; we arrived about 1:30 am local time. Baggage arrived a day later, but a trip to the nearby Target for a swimsuit and other essentials took care of that problem. My husband played both golf courses, the Palmer and the Faldo and loved them. He said it was even nicer than at the Maui Ocean Club where we are owners. One hole is right by the pool/bar, so I was able to meet him with a drink.
We had a rental car so I drove to some nearby hiking trails. I was surprised to see a nude hiker, but I just smiled and passed by as if I see such all the time. I guess if the kids were with me I might have been upset.
We mostly hung out at the resort. It was lovely and relaxing. Using points we had a studio suite in building 2900 with a golf course view, just beautiful in the mornings. Walked over to the JW hotel, but just to look around. We brought breakfast items and had lunch/dinner by the pool and enjoyed happy hour each day. Hope to return to this resort.
We have family that had visited prior and found this location boring, but if you like golf and hiking or just relaxing it's perfect.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ready2vac
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2013

It does not work if you are attending a convention at their other hotel the JW Marriot Dessert Ridge and Spa facility. This place is family focused for a vacation, not work. The price discounts are still double a normal room rate of a respectable hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Vroseiam
westminster, md
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Spent last week at this wonderful location. Weather was great as was the Resort. We have stayed at almost all of Marriott Resorts and this is in the top three. Marriott just knows how to do it... We used this as our base of operation and visited Tucson and the West Rim of the Grand Canyon. We worn ourselves out but it was well worth it. Also check out BJ`s Brewery and pub for some excellent food and beer.

Room Tip: If you decide to check out Tucson (as we did) and spend the night there check out the Lodge on the D...
3 Thank CaptainLar64
Carterville, Illinois
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We're a mature couple, travelling as a couple, which may be why we felt the Villas were -overpopulated- with young children-- great for them! Seemed like the perfect place for families. (We had the option of using the JW Marriott pool.) No shortage of great Golfing opportunities! The Musical Instrument Museum had us entertained/amused for HOURs-- we highly recommend/visit them on this site. Location is also close to Phoenix performing arts/saw a comedy. Great shopping everywhere! The room was wonderful! Nice Size, tastefullly decorated, very clean, everything operational-- which, in our experience, is typical for a Marriott Resort property. Why were we a bit bored? The weather! Cold and Windy a few days... Didn't predict THAT! The only glitch was that our room wasn't ready at 4, and we had to wait over an hour and a half for it... A few in housekeeping must have called in sick! We had housekeeping scheduled, but they didn't show up during the day, while we were out and about, but rather worked around us while we were there, late in the day... Oh well... That was ok I guess/just unusual for Marriott Resorts. (They did a great job.)

1 Thank scoobski
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We spend about six weeks each year here and it remains an excellent resort. The management who we have gotten to know as well as folks around the pool..maintenance people etc are all very friendly and make our stay very pleasant. It is well located and convenient to the J.W. Marriott which may be important to some people.

1 Thank BonVoyage555