“Enjoyed our stay, but a bit bored... Not exactly their fault!”

Marriott's Canyon Villas
Ranked #21 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We're a mature couple, travelling as a couple, which may be why we felt the Villas were -overpopulated- with young children-- great for them! Seemed like the perfect place for families. (We had the option of using the JW Marriott pool.) No shortage of great Golfing opportunities! The Musical Instrument Museum had us entertained/amused for HOURs-- we highly recommend/visit them on this site. Location is also close to Phoenix performing arts/saw a comedy. Great shopping everywhere! The room was wonderful! Nice Size, tastefullly decorated, very clean, everything operational-- which, in our experience, is typical for a Marriott Resort property. Why were we a bit bored? The weather! Cold and Windy a few days... Didn't predict THAT! The only glitch was that our room wasn't ready at 4, and we had to wait over an hour and a half for it... A few in housekeeping must have called in sick! We had housekeeping scheduled, but they didn't show up during the day, while we were out and about, but rather worked around us while we were there, late in the day... Oh well... That was ok I guess/just unusual for Marriott Resorts. (They did a great job.)

1  Thank scoobski
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Canyon Villas

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We spend about six weeks each year here and it remains an excellent resort. The management who we have gotten to know as well as folks around the pool..maintenance people etc are all very friendly and make our stay very pleasant. It is well located and convenient to the J.W. Marriott which may be important to some people.

1  Thank BonVoyage555
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I checked in her 2 days ago and it's been GREAT ever since! I arrived late the night before my check in and stayed at a Courtyard Marriott near the airport. I called Canyon Villas the morning of my check in to see if they could call me when my room was ready so I might possibly get in earlier than normal check in time. I was able to get in at 10am - awesome! The resort is kept up very nicely - I was a little nervous about a ground level room (for safety reasons), but I feel totally comfortable and safe here. My cousin went over to the JW Marriott this afternoon and had a lovely time there. There's a HUGE shopping center nearby that has anything and everything that you could possibly want. If you have a rental car, there's tons of parking and it's easy to get to. If you don't have a rental car, the resort provides a free shuttle over there every hour. Today I went on a tour to Sedona and Jerome (see my review on Vaughan's Southwest Tours!) and it's been so nice to come back here to relax after a long and busy day! I'm here for a few more days, but can't imagine that anything would happen to change my review!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ABB1976
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The room was very comfortable and clean. The location couldn't have been more perfect for nightlife and shopping. The main pool was always crowded with families and had a party type atmosphere. There is a also small quiet pool that was less crowded but can't swim in it because it is too shallow. I was happy with the service at the hotel. Free parking, free internet, and free shuttle to the Marriott (Desert Ridge) next door which is by far the better resort. My only complaint is...... IT IS EXPENSIVE TO STAY HERE! If i'm going to pay that much again for a hotel when I'm in that area then I'm gonna stay next door at the Marriott Desert Ridge with all it's amenities.

Room Tip: Try not to get there too early. Asked for an early check-in and still didn't get my suite until...
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This place had great rooms, spacious, so we could spread out. The kitchen was a little small and had just the barest of essentials, it enough to get you by. I loved that they had grills and fire pits throughout the property. We grilled dinner three nights. The grills can get busy so you may want to grill at slightly off dinner hours.

Pools. They have the main pool which contains the main pool with three major sections. My daughter loved that one of the sections was entirely three foot, so she felt comfortable doing more swimming. They also have a separate lap pool. A kiddie pool, and two hot tubs. In addition to the main pool area there are two other pool areas. A quiet pool, which is really just a big flower shaped hot tub. And on the other end of the property a kids splash park that is quite large.

The staff were very friendly, and had many activities throughout the week. I definitely recommend the Wild West jeep tours.

Great trip. We will be back.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room on the quiet pool side, also if you can get the golf course view r...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chad-chi
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here two years ago. We bought that week through our holiday club, linked to our Malta time share.
We were asked to attend a presentsion for the Time Share, this complex is linked with. We did not feel, we could buy into the holiday Time share, two years ago being from UK too long a flight. We did though buy another weeks holiday here and have just had another great week. The pool in D/C is so nice did not need the bigger Marriott Hotel pool. The Marriott Restaurants though, are excellent. The Desert Ridge Market place a great shopping area. We also took the bus into Scotsdale two bus changes, pick up and drop off bus stop just outside D/C entrance.
If we lived in the USA then would defernately consider this holiday package. I love Arizona we had three days in Williams having travelled from Sky Harbour to Flagstaff by Greyhound bus, good service and good price bought tickets online from home.
We used the local taxi Gypsy Cabs in Flagstaff, and Brian was brilliant taking us to our Grand Living b&b. He also took us on trips. We spent five days in. Sedona too (Hotel there brilliant) took Arizona Shuttle to Phoenix. We never hired a car, we saw and experienced your public transport, which was suited us.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank oop61
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We are Marriott Vacation Club owners and exchanged our Palm Desert villa for Canyon Villas. What we like:

1) Even though it is a the north end of Scottsdale/Phoenix, the location is super with easy access off the 101.
2) The weather is a few degrees cooler than central Phoenix/Scottsdale
3) We stay in a studio villa which is great for the two of us. Comfy bed, small kitchen area, nice balcony, good size bath.
4) We opt out of the main pool....too many kids, music etc but they have a GREAT quiet pool strictly for adults and water temp is about 84 degrees. Lots of towels, chairs, chaises, umbrellas available.
5) Front desk service is very friendly and helpful.
6) You get privileges at the JW Marriott across the street, but we were too busy and never made it up there. They have a shuttle that will take you.
7) Lots of parking near your room
We are booked for next March and looking forward to our return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple