“Really cool hotel with a "south beach FL vibe" and very inexpensive. Great staff, rooms, and restaurant. All ages :)”

The Clarendon Hotel and Spa
Ranked #17 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Really unique hotel for downtown Phoenix. Beautiful pool area, plenty of different style lounge chairs and palapa poolside beds. Great rooftop for intimate couples and big parties. Rooms are big, clean and fun with a funky retro decor. Restaurant is fabulous, everyone is super. Fun, professional staff but not stuffy.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Phoenix
Reviewed March 2, 2011

My company held a 3 day conference at the Clarendon with 20 attendees. They upgraded their meeting room chairs which were very comfortable. They're privately owned and take customer service as a serious priority. Rooms are spacious, beds are the same as Ritz Carlton, free mini bar, in-house restaurant with locally, organically grown and purchased food items. They immediately responded to any special requests and treated everyone as if they were VIPs. I highly recommend the Clarendon for your travel and business needs or if you want to hang out and chill.

West Coast
Reviewed February 27, 2011

If you like a place with atmosphere, adjacent to a wonderful restaurant with all kinds of extra goodies, you will be thrilled by the Clarendon. Relax with a drink by the pool, gazing at the various water themes, lights and stars.
Don't stay here if you like chain hotels. The Clarendon is everything but bland

The beds are super comfy with duvets and there is every amenity you can think off.
the staff are great and Ben the owner, will make you feel right at home.

1 Thank eaglespirit77
Tillamook, Oregon
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I did not care for this hotel at all. My room was right above the on-site restaurant. The first night the noise of the dining room was tolerable. However, the second night there was a live band playing until 9pm. I called the front desk to see if I could change rooms and they said I would have to pay for an upgrade! The room was clean but a little run down (there were dings in the walls, the mirror in the bathroom was chipped and the shower wasn't very clean). The hotel looks like it was previously an apartment building. The walls were all concrete and it felt like I was staying in a jail cell. Do not stay in room 234.
Pros: They didn't make me pay for the third night I had originally booked and the beds were VERY comfortable.

1 Thank Caiter_Bug
PHXBen, General Manager at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2011
I'm so sorry that you were placed in room 234 - we keep the two guest rooms directly above the restaurant vacant until we only have those two rooms left... this usually means that they rarely get used, and the last people checking in on a busy night at night will get these rooms (sometimes airline distressed passengers, last minute walk-ins, etc) after the restaurant has closed. You shouldn't have been charged for an upgrade, I want my guests to be happy - I will make sure that the staff is aware of this scenario, we do have a few new front desk hosts right now.

We've ordered new bathroom mirrors, and I'll make sure that this is one of the first ones to get replaced. People sometimes think that these $500 back-lit mirrors are medicine cabinets, and despite stickers on them saying "do not open" and safety mounts, they try to open them and chip/break the mirrors.

The hotel was never an apartment building - those concrete walls aren't movable, so the layout has always been the same, as a hotel.

Thank you for the comments on the beds - we do get a lot of compliments, every day, on the beds and linens and amenities. When I first bought the hotel, I chose items that met my demands for quality - I tested everything out personally and only bought things that I felt were nice. That's why our beds and linens are comfy, and about 4 times as expensive as most other hotel owners would buy for a 3.5 star property.

Give us another shot sometime - if a guest is not happy with The Clarendon, we'll be sure to correct whatever situation there is, or I'll personally drive a guest to a nearby property of their liking.

Ben Bethel
Owner/GM
Aztec, New Mexico, USA
Reviewed February 24, 2011

This Hotel was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, and I have stayed at some real roach motels. From all the photos, the hotel looks freshly remodeled and clean, but the hotel must employee a professional photographer, because it was not as pictured. For $140.00 a night, it should have been at least one step above a Motel 6. We had no hot water in our room, and there was hair in the shower and on the bathroom floor. I wanted to throw up when I saw the hair. Nasty!!! As I turned the water off, the knob fell off in into the tub. It was already after midnight, because we had a late start, so I would save the complaining for the morning. The walls were paper thin, and people were partying until 3:00am. We finally got the baby to sleep after the partying stopped, so we turned off the T.V. and heard nothing but police sirens for the rest of the night. It was like that scene in BIG, where is in that scary hotel in the city, and was afraid for his life. Worst experience of my life.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TARREN12
I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at The Clarendon - as the highest rated boutique hotel in Arizona for the past four years, having one of the top 5 hotel/resort restaurants, a great pool and a wonderful rooftop, I'm very worried that you did not enjoy your stay. Since I purchase The Clarendon in 2004, our only goal has been to create a wonderful experience for our guests, and obviously we failed with you, and I feel really bad about that.

In the future, bring up these issues with management - we will make sure that you're enjoying your stay at The Clarendon or we will personally drive you to another hotel.

Just to clarify points in your review, we do not employee a professional photographer, I used my Panasonic Lumix digital camera and walked around and took the pictures you see on the website. Hair on anything is inexcusable and grounds for immediate termination of a room attendant, so I'd definitely like to know which room you were in and on which date. Our walls are anything but paper thin: they're 8 inch thick block walls, filled with vermiculite for sound dampening, and then covered with stucco and paint on both sides, and the floors/ceilings between the rooms are 8-inch thick solid concrete. If there was a party in the room next to you, all you need to do is pick up the phone and dial the front desk - parties are absolutely not tolerated (we're a hotel, not a night club) and we would have the guests evicted immediately. Police sirens? I can't even imagine where you'd hear this from, because we're not on any major street - we're 800 feet from Central Avenue, so there's zero noise from trains and rarely does a police car, ambulance, or fire engine go by with sirens

It sounds like you had an experience where everything that could go wrong, did... so please, next time be sure to speak to someone in management so we can immediately get you to a property that suits your needs or at least into a different room. We have had over 400,000 guests stay with us in the past seven years, and I think this is one of the only times someone has said it was the worst hotel ever! This review will definitely be the first topic on my agenda this week, and out of this review many positive things will come, and we'll make even more improvements from your review, and for that, I thank you.

Sincerely
Ben Bethel
Owner/General Manager
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed February 19, 2011

The Clarendon had a contemporary and modern feel with the most down-home traditional service. A great place to stay at the heart of Phoenix. I had a great night's sleep on the mattress, saw gorgeous views from the pools of the metropolitan area, and had a level of comfort unparalled by many other hotels in the area. A definite must-stay for locals and visitors!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Took my boyfriend here as a surprise for Valentine's Day. We had such a nice relaxing time that we ended up booking another night! The bed is amazing! Soooo comfortable! We booked a junior suite for $99 as a groupon deal and the hotel staff was nice enough to let us book a second night at the same rate! I loved the jacuzzi....it's so big that it's nice to be able to cuddle up in and not have some stranger sitting right next to you.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple