“No more Hilton points for me!”

Ranked #18 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I travel ALOT for work. True Million mile road warrior and I always stay at the Hilton when traveling. Not in Phoenix! I don't remember how I found this funky and cool place, but I am glad I did. The staff is great, beds are incredible and the rooms are pretty big for Phoenix.

When I visit Phoenix for work, I always stay a few extra days to enjoy the city and the hotel. This is my go to when I am in Phoenix.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank rsnyder689
Write a ReviewReviews (1,361)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have stayed at the Clarendon about a dozen times since 2005 and always enjoyed my stays here. The owners have invested incredible amounts of money into the Hotel and added many cool features for guests. I love the size and layout of the rooms, the pool and spa are awesome and Gallo Blanco's food is fantastic! I love the location since the Hotel is close to many great restaurants and bars. I look forward to my return visit soon!

Room Tip: Enjoy a two-room suite with king bed
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank inn410
Reviewed September 23, 2013

There are come great things about this place, and some that aren't that great.

PROs:
- The free use of bikes. We loved being able to ride around and leave the car behind for a bit.
- Complimentary 20 minute foot massage. Much needed after 3 days of hiking.
- The POOL! It's amazing.
- The snacks and drinks made available in the lobby are a nice touch, and much needed when it's sweltering out.
- The decor is modern and lively.
- The staff at the front desk was always friendly. And when Ben, the owner, saw us waiting in the lobby for a taxi to the Diamondbacks game, he offered to drive us himself. Quite hands-on!

CONs:
- Tiny bathrooms with very little counter space. And there were no tissues in the room. Not a huge deal, I know, but when you are from the humid South and your nose is trying to get adjusted to the dryness and heat of Phoenix, you need them.
- I didn't care about the renovations that were ongoing in the lobby. I did, however, call about a month ago to confirm that the work to the roof-top deck would be finished by the time we arrived. I was assured that it would be, but arrived to find out just the opposite. We wouldn't have wanted to spend much time there during the day (as it was 105 degrees), but it might have been nice later in the day or in the morning.
- The AC stayed on full blast the entire time and blew directly onto the bed (and onto us).
- The towels smelled like bacon and/or hamburgers. No kidding. Not sure what that was about.
- Location - It's not really near (within walking distance) of many points of interest. Although not knowing Phoenix well at all, I'm not sure where else might be better.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your review.... I wanted to quickly respond to your pro's and con's so that other potential guests can see my response and be assured that we're taking care of all concerns. After all, we're in the business of making guests happy!

For your PROs: glad you liked the bikes, the complimentary spa treatment that comes with every booking (no other hotel does this), and the pool (which continues to win "best hotel pool" awards, I think 6 years in a row now), the complimentary unlimited snacks/drinks (no $8 water or $12 M&Ms here!), and the decor (which we're always improving!), the staff (I hire people because they have great big hearts first and foremost, they can learn other skills once hired), and me (hehe, I do remember giving these guests a ride to the ballpark!).

For your CONs: on the bathrooms, there should definitely be tissues in all bathrooms, and I'm going to be creating a lot more counter space in the next few months, so we are working on that; on the lobby, glad you didn't mind - we had to re-tile it, and there's never a good time to do anything in a hotel, but it's done!; on the rooftop deck I'm really surprised that anyone would have re-assured any guest that it would be open by now... we were definitely hoping, but my staff was to not promise that it would be open until the city told us it could be re-opened... everything is done and it should be open in a few days from what we're told; on the AC staying on full-blast, it sounds like you kept the fan on "high" instead of "auto" or "ultra-quiet" modes which would have stopped this immediately; towels smelling - this is a first for me, and rest assured, I'll be checking this out as soon as I come in... towels are stored nowhere near food or the kitchen, they're only stored in the laundry room and in laundry closets, so I'm really going to check this out and see what's going on; location - Phoenix is just a driving city... I can't really think of any hotels that are within walking distance of anything, unless you're spending 2-4 times as much per night.

Hopefully this helps - always be sure to contact me or my staff with any issues that you have - we're always here for you and always want you to have an amazing experience. My card with my personal phone number as well as my email address is always at the front desk for anyone to contact me... hopefully my staff can resolve something first, but I'm always available for you if they cannot take care of something.

This is just a general comment, not specific to this reviewer.... I truly believe that the essence of travel is to experience things that you wouldn't experience at home... if you're going to travel and stay in a chain hotel, eat in a chain restaurant, and drink the same chain coffee that you have at home, there's really no reason to leave your home... we want you to experience something unique and different and enjoyable... we want to show you the secret independent restaurants... we want to share with you some of the best coffee houses in the country... we'll help you explore and discover and will help create adventures that are amazing and memorable, I guarantee it!

Ben Bethel
Owner/General Manager

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I'm actually at the hotel now having just finished one of four nights here. This is my kind of hotel for sure - I appreciate the decor, style, edge etc. My issue was that upon making my reservation online, nowhere was it clearly indicated that this hotel is under renovation. When I walked in the front door I was immediately greated with a complely torn up lobby for which the staff seemed rather unapologetic. I then come upstairs to find that the roof deck is off limits due to construction - again staff failed to disclose this to me even after I commented on the lobby construction. For me, the roof deck was a main selling point on deciding to come to this hotel. The pool is nice, happening and thankfully not being renovated so it does have that going for them. The rooms are clean, large, and comfortable with what appares to be original art. I think this hotel has real potential and I'm sure I'll like my stay, but I had hopes for enjoying my stay - at the very least I would have appreciated transparency from the hotel re: their state of construction so that I could have made an informed decision about whether nor not to book my non-refundable reservation. My biggest complaint is the lack of roof deck access - when I booked my stay, I imagined spending time up there.

• Stayed: September 2013
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Thank you so much for your review - I'm very glad that you're enjoying your stay at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa!!!

I wanted to take a quick note to respond to your comments about any improvements being done on the property. First, every hotel should *always* be under some sort of renovation or improvement program, and we're constantly evolving. I know that you mentioned that the lobby was torn up when you walked in... but we were just putting new tile in the lobby. It took 1/2 of a day to remove the tile, then just a few more days to put tile down. It's just one of those things that has to be done if you're going to keep a property properly maintained. I'd really hate to call that "construction" because in order to notify all 400+ travel websites, then worry that guests will not stay with us, only for tile, is a difficult thing. It's also really difficult to put information on these websites, and say it will only affect stays during a short 3 day window... most websites won't put that on there.

Second, the rooftop.... yes, the rooftop has been closed this summer, and we're preparing to open it... but it's no longer closed due to construction, and there's no construction scheduled up there, ever again, at least I hope not. ;-) During the summer when the temperatures are 100-120 degrees on the ground, the rooftop deck tends to reach 115-155 degrees... no exaggeration. We will reopen the deck by the end of September as long as the city gives us their blessing and issues their certificate of occupancy.

For anyone else reading this response to this review, please note that the only other things I'm planning on doing to The Clarendon Hotel and Spa in the next few months: replacement of all beds, again with the same beds that 5 diamond hotels use, and replacement of all room furniture and flooring... none of these items will disrupt your experience, as putting flooring and furnishings and beds in the room only requires a truck to pull up and drop off the items, and for the items to be dropped into the rooms, which doesn't take much time, and doesn't make any noise. I will be changing the entrance of the hotel - my plan is new landscaping and water features and seating areas... I don't quite know when that will happen, but I'm hoping in the next 90 days... any noise created by that will be brief, just a few days, and during that time we will upgrade all guests to higher room categories away from any noise.

Keep in mind that there are 2 great things about The Clarendon Hotel and Spa that no other hotels do: we have a 24-hour stay for all one-night stays, so you can stay a full 24 hours from the time of check-in, and you receive one free spa treatment per booking. Now those are some pretty incredible things that you cannot have at any other hotel in the world...

If you have any concerns, please contact us and we'll help out. We're not satisfied unless you have a great, unique, enjoyable, amazing time here at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa! Just come out and enjoy the hotel before our rates double and triple once season comes!

Ben Bethel
Owner/General Manager

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here after selecting a secret hotel on Travelocity. I was a little concerned about the hotel because this trip was for my 5 year old daughter and based on the reviews this seemed like a party hotel. She ended up having a blast and so did I. The pool was so awesome, the room was super nice, the staff is amazing, from the front desk crew, the waiters, bartenders, cleaning crew etc. They make you feel so comfortable and welcome. I felt relaxed the entire time. The food at the restaurant was amazing, I ate breakfast there all 5 days of my trip and dinner twice.

Pets also stay free here. There was no extra charge for my dog and the staff were all so friendly to him. Also, if you are only staying one night, you get the room for 24 hours, which is great and much different from the typical 3pm check in, 11 am checkout.

The only issue I had was the $20 a day service fee. There is nothing there worth $20 a day. They offer free bottle water and snacks but you have to go to the front desk to ask. If I bought a couple cases of water for my trip it would have been less than the $20 a day. The snacks are junk food; candy bars and chips, and even with a sweet tooth you aren't spending $20 a day on that. They also include parking and internet in that $20 but come on, most hotels include parking and internet as part of the stay. Also they market it all as complimentary but again, it was $100 extra for bottle water, parking and internet. I would rather pay for what I wanted rather than be charged for something I am never going to use.

All in all this was a great hotel and I recommend it for couples without kids. I will totally go back there, even with the $20 a day service fee, but ugh that was like throwing money out the window.

Room Tip: $10 and $20 upgrade options are a great value. I would ask for a room on the top floor to get a view...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Maggie G
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed here for a concert. The hotel is very cool, chic and cool vibe to it. The pool is amazing. The rooms are kinda funky !! The room was huge and very comfortable. Plenty of outlets to plug in all your gadgets. Upon staying here they give your complimentary foot massage, free snacks, free water and free bags of ice. They also feature 24 hour check out. So if you check in at 6 pm you don't have to check out till 6pm. I didn't get a chance to check out the restaurant on site but it must be really good as it was always busy! The only down side to this place is that it's not in walking distance to anything. But over all a really cool locally owned hotel!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Trisha424
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I recently returned to my hometown of Phoenix after a week-long exhausting and labor-intensive work trip, and needed some relaxation and reprieve. I didn't have to think twice, knowing that the Clarendon was the place for me!

Upon check-in I was warmly greeted by the fun and funky staff and was even further impressed with the wonderful room I received. They have done some amazing upgrades to the hotel since my last stay and I am incredibly impressed. Local artwork from local artists adorn the hotel lobby and pool area, and the room was comfortable and incredibly clean.

The owner, Ben, greeted me on my way to the pool and made sure I had everything that I needed-a true testament to the place overall regarding service and kindness.

I will return to the Clarendon time and time again and recommend others to do the same!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo