“wonderful stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Boynton Beach, Florida
“wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The front desk staff, Melly and Tara could not be more accomadating. Every time we passed the front desk, they offered us complimentary soft drinks and water. The temp. in Phx. was a106 so we stuck with the water. They also had a great array of snacks that was also complimentary. They were upgrading the facade, but that did not detract from the stay.We had a junior suite that was very big. Located in the hotel is a very nice southwestern restaurant and is privately owned, as is the hotel.
I would definetly recomend this hotel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at The Clarendon Hotel for nearly four weeks this summer on business. I slept like a baby in the king size top of the line Serta bed and enjoyed Italian coffee in my room every morning. The hotel and restaurant staff are very friendly and accommodating and I especially enjoyed the healthy local and mostly organic food in the restaurant. I never grew tired of eating breakfast there, often ate lunch, and always looked forward to a healthy and delicious meal in the evening. The renovations were somewhat inconvenient in August, but a small price to pay. The improvements to this already unique hotel look amazing and I'm sure the hotel will continue to enhance this central Phoenix neighborhood. The hotel supports and recommends local businesses and promotes community. The restaurant cooks with wood and the aroma is amazing. Many locals also gather at the restaurant to enjoy breakfast, lunch, happy hour (all day on Tuesday), and dinner. We plan to return whenever possible for business or vacation, and whenever we are in the area to eat at Gallo Blanco. I will miss the food and the staff at both the restaurant and the hotel. I highly recommend this hotel and Gallo Blanco to travelers, as well as those who live locally. I traveled in July and August, 2013.

Room Tip: I did not use the spa, but enjoyed the pool and hot tub and the rooms surrounding the pool are very...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

My bad.... I looked at the reviews - saw the pictures - believed the 4 star rating.... First, the hotel and restaurant are under construction, elevator doesn't work, lobby was a bomb... Customer service "what customer service"? I could go on but it just pisses me off more - I can't, in good conscience, recommend this place at all. I feel like I fell for a complete bait and switch to the maximum degree!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TheBonesy
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
For guests considering a stay at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa: please note that all work will be completed this upcoming week!

Mr Bonesy,

Many apologies... I've owned the hotel for 9 years now, and there's never a good time for improvements. The bad news is that we were trying to deal with various contractors, who all have very different schedules, but we did do our best to contact every guest prior to their stay to let them know about the improvements to the exterior and the elevator that were going on. We also located all guests away from any noise issues - we do have 4 buildings on property, and we would close one building and put guests in the remaining 3 buildings, even upgrading most guests for free to junior suites and one bedroom pool view suites. We even provided many guests with bottles of wine and massages and other things to apologize for the inconvenience,and out of about 1800 guests this month, I've received six complaints... everyone else has been very, very understanding, and many said they were excited to return to check out the improvements when finished.

You mentioned that the elevator didn't work... I just need to clarify this... it's not that it didn't work, it worked just fine. We are required to be code-compliant with existing elevator codes, and to be compliant with the new 2013 code, we were required to take the elevator down for a short while to make these repairs/improvements.... all in the interest of the safety of our guests and employees. In the meantime, we located all guests on the 1st floor or 2nd floor, and if guests didn't mind we placed them on the 3rd/4th floors. Now, if you weren't able to get on the 1st floor, I'm not sure why.... but in all honesty, if you're complaining about walking one entire, giant, long, horribly inconvenient flight of stairs - a distance of 14 steps - especially after walking in from the parking lot or through an airport or through a shopping mall or museum, then you're just being a really difficult person who's seeking something for nothing. Or maybe you're one of those people in the movie Wall-E who expects to be carried around everywhere while constantly being fed/entertained.

The good news - there's always good news!!! All of the exterior work that had any noise issues is finished as of today, August 23rd, 2013. The elevator re-opens on August 29th, 2013. The rooftop deck re-opens shortly thereafter. Our spa opens in September as well... and all guests who book at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa will receive a free welcoming foot treatment, one treatment per booking...

I am really sorry for your inconvenience, we did do our best to notify all guests... and even at check-in you obviously saw the improvements that were going on.... if you had an issue about this, you really should have spoken up there and then... and we would have taken care of this, even relocating you to a better property, another 4-star hotel, and would have made it a seamless transition... if I was around, I would have even personally driven you.

I want nothing in the world but for everyone to enjoy their stay here... when I started this business 9 years ago using nothing but my home equity loans and credit cards and $3000 I had in my pocket, I wanted nothing but to make the community better, and to make sure that people living in Phoenix and guests visiting Phoenix had nothing but amazing experiences... I'm sorry that I failed to meet your expectations - I feel terrible for that, and I'd love to make it up to you. I never had any contact from you, the staff doesn't have any notes on your folios, so your choice to be passive-aggressive with this review really concerns me. For other reviewers reading this, please, please contact me before anything becomes a problem - we're here to serve you, to take care of you, and to create great experiences, so please be proactive and not retroactive, and we'll make sure that you have a great time. I guarantee it!

Ben Bethel
Owner/General Manager
The Clarendon Hotel
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great ambiance and inviting; very accommodating staff with many extra amenities available and included with room reservation. Rooms are spacious, clean and extremely comfortable. Despite some current ongoing reconstruction of exterior spaces, there was no discernible noise in the rooms and it proved quieter than other lodgings where no construction was taking place! Will definitely return; rates very good and you receive more value across the board compared to other large chains, etc... . A gem in the desert and major U.S. city.

Room Tip: Visit hotel website for clear and accurate descriptions.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DMI2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at The Clarendon in August and loved my experience! The rooms are spacious and clean, and quiet despite all the fun you know people are having at the courtyard pool. The salt water pool and large whirl pool were super relaxing! I was there on a Wednesday and the restaurant featured Flamenco dancing to pair with their fresh food and superb margaritas. Definitely check this place out!

• Stayed August 2013
Young, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Well the stay began early as the greyhound bus we came in on arrived at 7am, so extremly tired and ready to sleep standing up the concierge had complimentary botttles of cold water and snacks waiting. Arriving 8 hours early was no problem a room was ready and were shown straight up. So great and friendly service. The room was large, clean, with a comfy bed, and awesome artworks. The pool is salt water and a perfect place to cool down on a hot day (everyday in Phoenix). Though it can get realbusy over the w.e. During our stay we were also lucky enough to receive tickets to a dimond backs game from the concierge. Over all a fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner jr suite was a large room with great decor, and a huge comfy bed. AC work fine...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were only looking for a one night stopover in Pheonix on our way from the Grand Canyon to San Diego and was attracted by the TripAdvisor reviews. Staff were extremely attentive and friendly with nothing too much trouble. A nice touch were the free snacks and soft drinks available from the reception.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple