“Huge Disappointment!!”

The Clarendon Hotel and Spa
Ranked #15 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My bad.... I looked at the reviews - saw the pictures - believed the 4 star rating.... First, the hotel and restaurant are under construction, elevator doesn't work, lobby was a bomb... Customer service "what customer service"? I could go on but it just pisses me off more - I can't, in good conscience, recommend this place at all. I feel like I fell for a complete bait and switch to the maximum degree!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank TheBonesy
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

For guests considering a stay at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa: please note that all work will be completed this upcoming week!

Mr Bonesy,

Many apologies... I've owned the hotel for 9 years now, and there's never a good time for improvements. The bad news is that we were trying to deal with various contractors, who all have very different schedules, but we did do our best to contact every guest prior to their stay to let them know about the improvements to the exterior and the elevator that were going on. We also located all guests away from any noise issues - we do have 4 buildings on property, and we would close one building and put guests in the remaining 3 buildings, even upgrading most guests for free to junior suites and one bedroom pool view suites. We even provided many guests with bottles of wine and massages and other things to apologize for the inconvenience,and out of about 1800 guests this month, I've received six complaints... everyone else has been very, very understanding, and many said they were excited to return to check out the improvements when finished.

You mentioned that the elevator didn't work... I just need to clarify this... it's not that it didn't work, it worked just fine. We are required to be code-compliant with existing elevator codes, and to be compliant with the new 2013 code, we were required to take the elevator down for a short while to make these repairs/improvements.... all in the interest of the safety of our guests and employees. In the meantime, we located all guests on the 1st floor or 2nd floor, and if guests didn't mind we placed them on the 3rd/4th floors. Now, if you weren't able to get on the 1st floor, I'm not sure why.... but in all honesty, if you're complaining about walking one entire, giant, long, horribly inconvenient flight of stairs - a distance of 14 steps - especially after walking in from the parking lot or through an airport or through a shopping mall or museum, then you're just being a really difficult person who's seeking something for nothing. Or maybe you're one of those people in the movie Wall-E who expects to be carried around everywhere while constantly being fed/entertained.

The good news - there's always good news!!! All of the exterior work that had any noise issues is finished as of today, August 23rd, 2013. The elevator re-opens on August 29th, 2013. The rooftop deck re-opens shortly thereafter. Our spa opens in September as well... and all guests who book at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa will receive a free welcoming foot treatment, one treatment per booking...

I am really sorry for your inconvenience, we did do our best to notify all guests... and even at check-in you obviously saw the improvements that were going on.... if you had an issue about this, you really should have spoken up there and then... and we would have taken care of this, even relocating you to a better property, another 4-star hotel, and would have made it a seamless transition... if I was around, I would have even personally driven you.

I want nothing in the world but for everyone to enjoy their stay here... when I started this business 9 years ago using nothing but my home equity loans and credit cards and $3000 I had in my pocket, I wanted nothing but to make the community better, and to make sure that people living in Phoenix and guests visiting Phoenix had nothing but amazing experiences... I'm sorry that I failed to meet your expectations - I feel terrible for that, and I'd love to make it up to you. I never had any contact from you, the staff doesn't have any notes on your folios, so your choice to be passive-aggressive with this review really concerns me. For other reviewers reading this, please, please contact me before anything becomes a problem - we're here to serve you, to take care of you, and to create great experiences, so please be proactive and not retroactive, and we'll make sure that you have a great time. I guarantee it!

Ben Bethel
Owner/General Manager
The Clarendon Hotel

There are newer reviews for The Clarendon Hotel and Spa

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Great ambiance and inviting; very accommodating staff with many extra amenities available and included with room reservation. Rooms are spacious, clean and extremely comfortable. Despite some current ongoing reconstruction of exterior spaces, there was no discernible noise in the rooms and it proved quieter than other lodgings where no construction was taking place! Will definitely return; rates very good and you receive more value across the board compared to other large chains, etc... . A gem in the desert and major U.S. city.

Room Tip: Visit hotel website for clear and accurate descriptions.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DMI2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at The Clarendon in August and loved my experience! The rooms are spacious and clean, and quiet despite all the fun you know people are having at the courtyard pool. The salt water pool and large whirl pool were super relaxing! I was there on a Wednesday and the restaurant featured Flamenco dancing to pair with their fresh food and superb margaritas. Definitely check this place out!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Well the stay began early as the greyhound bus we came in on arrived at 7am, so extremly tired and ready to sleep standing up the concierge had complimentary botttles of cold water and snacks waiting. Arriving 8 hours early was no problem a room was ready and were shown straight up. So great and friendly service. The room was large, clean, with a comfy bed, and awesome artworks. The pool is salt water and a perfect place to cool down on a hot day (everyday in Phoenix). Though it can get realbusy over the w.e. During our stay we were also lucky enough to receive tickets to a dimond backs game from the concierge. Over all a fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner jr suite was a large room with great decor, and a huge comfy bed. AC work fine...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were only looking for a one night stopover in Pheonix on our way from the Grand Canyon to San Diego and was attracted by the TripAdvisor reviews. Staff were extremely attentive and friendly with nothing too much trouble. A nice touch were the free snacks and soft drinks available from the reception.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeterCW9
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I spend two nights there last week. Night one was great. I though the room décor was awesome. Everything was just different than any other hotel I’ve stayed in and it was nice.

Night two was a whole different animal…

After finishing up my business for the day, I returned to the hotel around 4:30pm to change and headed out for the evening. When I returned around 10:00pm, the room seemed a little warm. I thought it was a little strange. I checked out the remote and it seemed to be set correctly. I even took the batteries out and reset the remote trying to get it to cool down. The unit is mounted on the ceiling but there was an on/off switch next to it. I tried that and nothing.

Finally, I went down to the front desk to see if they could help me. I was told that all the a/c units on that side of the building were down. They thought it was a transformer issue and they had called someone out to work on it. In the meantime, they were going to upgrade me into a Junior Suite. I thought that was an acceptable solution.

I went and packed up my room and headed over to the suite. When I arrived to the new room (around 10:30pm), the a/c unit was not on. And anyone who has ever been in Phoenix in the summer knows that having the a/c off is not a good thing. I turned it on and figured I would just have to wait for the room to cool down.

I was not impressed at all. If the hotel staff knew the a/c unit in my original room had gone out, why wasn’t there a note for something advising me to come to the front desk? AND if they knew they were going to move me to a new room because the a/c was out in my current room…wouldn’t it have been wise to turn the a/c unit on in the new room?

Well it went from bad to worse. The room was too warm and the unit seemed to be having problems cooling things down. I decided to take a cool shower and then go to bed. I went to bed about 12:30am and the room still seemed too warm. It was so warm that I was not able to even use a sheet to cover up with. So I just feel asleep laying on top of the covers.

I woke up around 3:30am soaking wet from sweat. The a/c unit was not cooling at all. I was quite upset but figured at 3:30 in the morning there wasn’t much that could be done. I just waited it out and checked out early.

When I let the morning staff know what had happened, they offered to comp me the Hotel Service fee of $20.00 and really didn’t have much else to say. I was shocked to say the very least. I didn’t make a huge fuss because I was very tired and irritable and knew I would probably get very loud and obnoxious.

So I guess if things are working well this would be a nice place to stay. However if ANYTHING goes wrong, I wouldn’t expect to receive very good service from the staff.

Good luck.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Johnny B
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for your review Johnny.... I want to make things right here, as we're in this business to provide a great experience for you, and we definitely failed with your stay at the hotel... I'd like to take a moment to explain what happened, and then explain why it was also a tough experience for us, and also to let you know that I want to make this right...

This is our "monsoon" season, when tropical moisture comes up from the Gulf of Mexico, causing some really awesome haboobs and thunderstorms. The hotel rarely has "close calls" with lightning, at least in the past 9 years of me owning the hotel, but we had two instances where the power went out in the past few weeks. Both were lightning strikes, and were strong enough of a surge to take out our power as well as everyone's power in the neighborhood, for just a few seconds.

Due to this surge, we think, the capacitor for an a/c system that controls just 12 of our 105 rooms started going out, and about a week later, a fuse blew. Our staff scrambled to find a replacement fuse, not just any fuse but a hard to find $300 fuse, and that didn't work. There are only 3 "Mitsubishi Diamond Techs" in the valley who are authorized to work on our system, and only one works on weekends. He came out, and not only turned off the power supplying a/c to these 12 rooms, but turned off the breaker for many of our other rooms. We didn't know what happened, because he only turned off the power to the rooftop units, and not the in-room units, so the staff just thought it was taking a little while to get the units to cool. It's usually instant cold air, we paid about 4x more for this system than most hotel systems, so they should have thought something was wrong... perhaps they were stressed out trying to get people moved around, I'm not sure, but they should now know better.

79 of our 105 guest rooms have their own a/c units, where a rooftop unit is specific to the guest room - this means if one goes down, the remaining units stay on... that is if a tech doesn't come out and trip a main power breaker to shut off the power supply to all of the units. The other 26 rooms are controlled by two giant units. By the time this was figured out, it was too late and we had several unhappy guests.

I would love the opportunity to make it up to you... please come back, stay with us, and I'll go all out in making sure your next experience is an awesome one. When you come back, you'll see our new exterior, our new elevator to the rooftop bar, the rooftop bar reopened for the season, new granite flooring in the guestroom bathrooms, a new lobby, new beds, a new spa, and much much more... all of these things should be done by Labor Day Weekend.

Ben Bethel
Owner/General Manager

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent one night here, two weekends in a row (into and out of Arizona). We loved the 60's vibe and decor. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful and even upgraded us to a large suite the second time we stayed. The hotel restaurant, Gallo Blanco, is amazing! We ate dinner there one stay and breakfast there the other; everything was phenomenal including the cocktails! I liked that the pool had a number of people around; an empty hotel pool is kinda creepy. This is definitely our go-to spot in Phoenix now as the place is cute, the price is great and the location is near to many restaurants and the airport. My only complaint is when a massive rainstorm moved through, our window dripped loudly (however I am sure most part of the year this isn't a issue haha!)

Room Tip: Turn your AC on as soon as you get into the room. Each room has an individual unit and you don't...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple