“A great find”

Ranked #15 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Austin, Texas
“A great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I loved this hotel! I found it on Tripadvisor and chose it based on user reviews. Don't be deceived by the exterior. It is an old hotel that has been renovated. When you pull up to the outside you think, "What have I gotten myself into?" But the moment you enter the front door, you are blown away. The service is excellent and the included amenities are great (snacks included!). There is also free internet and parking which is a plus. I chose the largest room and it was spacious and clean. The staff was very responsive to my needs. The attached restaurant, where you get breakfast vouchers, is excellent! You don't have to settle for cold muffins here. The pool is cute and the rooftop lounge is beautiful. Overall, I loved this hotel and would definitely stay here again. It have a funky, fresh vibe that I loved and I would recommend it to anyone traveling to Phoenix. The only negative was that it was on the outskirts of downtown, so if you want to be right in the middle of things, this may not be the best location for you. However, a 10 minute walk gets you to the light rail, so you still aren't that far away from the action.

2 Thank Trina30196

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have stayed in the finest hotels and in the past 10 years have been making a point to stay at boutique properties! The Clarendon was by far one of the best! I had booked a weekend stay before heading off to Palm Springs for a week with a second weekend planned (unbooked at time of actual arrival) in Arizona upon return from Palm Springs! I was so thrilled with the hotel the first time-I rearranged my trip to Sedona to allow me to stay the second weekend at the Clarendon! I had the gym and hydro spa all to myself for most of my stay! The Mexican restaurant at the hotel which I rolled my nose too the first weekend, ended up being the best restaurant out if them all (ate in 7 Mexican total restaurants) My only regret was by the time I realized my misjudgement, it was a day before I had to return to Boston! My only advice would be to come up with a better solution for laundry services-even if your guests have to drive to Scottsdale! Ended up taking my laundry to California before cleaning them!

Can't wait to return in January 2014

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Caislea
Bisbee, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Clarendon has professional and friendly staff, the rooms and pool area are cute and comfortable, the atmosphere is quiet, calm and happy and the restaurant offers delicious food.
I've stayed at the Clarendon several times over the past year with the same positive experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank PB621Travels
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your review.... glad to know you're a repeat guest and that you like what we're doing! Stay tuned, there are a lot more improvements coming to make your stay even better!

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We spent a couple of nights there at the end of November. A great example of how to take an existing, probably very average if not rundown space and turn it into something nice. They did a fabulous job updating those rooms and making them into fun spaces. The pool was very cool to look at even if we did not use it this trip. The attached restaurant and bar were fabulous. Would defininetly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DHNC
Thank you for your great review! I love how you noticed our improvement of what used to be an older building (you should have seen it when I bought it in 2004!!!), and bring it up to date. Just wait, in a few months we'll have an entirely new exterior as well as all new guest room furnishings, it's going to be great!

santa fe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had a two days stay and found this little jewel of a hotel. Now it is the only place we will ever stay in Pheonix. Though we did not meet the owner, his staff beamed when ever they spoke of him. He has taken what I expect was a concrete rat hole of long ago days and transformed it into a hip hotel dripping cool from every wall. We didn't have time to take the loaner bikes out for a ride but it was a nice touch.

I got up really early one morning and sat in the lobby using the computer provided for guests. An employee was vacuuming with what must have been the noisiest vacuum on the planet. I was in such a good mood from staying here that all I could do was laugh and make a joke about it. It felt like a candid camera moment.

Stay her and thank me later.

PS: try the food in the restaurant. Another great find.

3 Thank greenlamper
Thank you! Thank you! I love when people say The Clarendon is the only place they'll stay in Phoenix - we're hearing that more and more and we're becoming one of those places that people aren't just loyal to, but the word is getting out that we're all about the experience and how we treat our guests. Regarding that loud vacuum you mentioned in the lobby (thanks for having a positive attitude towards that, it shows a lot about you as a person, your parents must have been very good parents!), I'm going to remind the person who uses the vacuum or carpet cleaner (we steam clean the lobby carpet weekly) to let them know to wait until people aren't around....

Come back soon!

Apple Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We needed a hotel for two nights in Phoenix , due to a family emergency. We had used a last minute hotel site before, and got a very nice hotel. This time was a total disaster. We drove up to the hotel and were just holding our breaths. It is in a downtown area amid, several well known hotels. We pulled up to the front to a very small entrance. I got out went inside to a front desk area with a lot of people just hanging around. We checked in and proceeded to go to the one and only elevator to the fourth floor, and were shocked to see we were outside, when we opened the door to our room it looked like someone had taken a very seedy motel,and threw bright orange paint, peel and stick carpet tiles, and some new furnishings to perk up this place. There were paper blinds at the window with blackout , but you could see outside from the corners. To my surprise, the picture of an agave plant on what is a track, slidover to cover the window. There was not even the usual hotel phone system. To get ice you had to go to the front desk.The bathroom was dark and scary, but was clean with new fixtures .There was a green velour blanket at the foot of the bed that was dirty with feathers stuck all over. When we attempted to get room service , we were informed you order, and then have to pick it up. We have eaten at many Mexican restaurants, and I must say this was the worst. This was the worst two nights I have ever spent. I would not ever use a sight ever again where you know the hotel after you pay.

• Stayed February 2013
10 Thank kudoos55
Wow - someone is a Negative Nancy! I'd love to take the opportunity to respond to this review...

* If you're not adventurous, don't use last minute hotel sites where you might end up with a boutique hotel property like The Clarendon. We're all about the experience and the service, not about providing the same looking room you'd find no matter where you travel.
* Lot of people hanging around the front desk... that's a bad thing? Our staff is very friendly, we love to get to know our guests, and we love making sure that our guests are not just enjoying The Clarendon, but Phoenix and Arizona as well.
* One and only elevator? We're the smallest, most intimate hotel in Central Phoenix at just 105 rooms... were you expecting 8 elevators? Really?
* Peel and stick carpet tiles? Yes, they're carpet tiles, but you do realize that carpet tiles are about 6 times as expensive as the carpet that most hotels use? They're also treated with antibacterial and antimicrobial solutions. If a pet or human has an "accident" on the carpet (urine, poop, vomit, diarrhea, blood, wine, milk, stuff that looks like milk if you know what I mean) in most hotels, they just clean the carpet but underneath the "stuff" is still there, molding away in the padding, growing all sorts of nastiness and mold. Since we use carpet tiles, if something happens in a room, we simply remove the tile, and put a new one down. Now, after reading this paragraph, if you're not as sold on carpet tiles as we are then something's wrong.
* Paper blinds? Really? Those are honeycomb cellular blackout shades and as the person who chose them over less expensive products, I can tell you that they were around $340 per window, per room... so they're a little more than paper shades. No curtains at The Clarendon either - curtains hold allergens, dust, dandruff, dead skin, etc., etc. We prefer the cleanliness of the honeycomb cellular shades.
* Not even the usual hotel phone system? You're very much correct here... we have dual cordless phones in our guest rooms, and they act just like home phones. What's even better is that there is no charge for local, long distance, or international telephone calls... a first for the industry! If you need anything at all, just dial zero and we'll take care of your requests immediately.
* Ice at the front desk. You're right again on this on. Let me tell you why: ice machines in nearly every hotel get messed with by hotel guests who think they're being funny by putting dirty underwear in them, by peeing in them, etc. Most hotel ice machines will test positive for pink and green slime mold. I learned all this when I bought the hotel, and decided that the front desk would bag all ice and keep it at the front desk. This is sanitary and this is also another opportunity to talk to our guests. If you want, you can even dial zero and we'll bring ice to your room.

To end my response to this email, I just want to say that I'm sorry that this was the worst experience in your life... you must have a very privileged life, because I'd love to conference you into a phone call with some children around the world who would love to hear your problems with things like ice cubes and room service. ;-)

Please keep in mind that the essence of travel is to experience the things that you would not experience at home, otherwise why travel. Also, keep in mind that I'm here to make sure that you enjoy your stay - my intention when I got into this business was to create something to improve the community, to make people return home with good memories of their experience at The Clarendon and in Phoenix, and in Arizona. If you're not happy, please let someone know right away, don't be passive aggressive, and you'll be quite surprised to know that we actually care. If you're not happy, I'll find you a hotel room somewhere where you will be happy, and I'll even drive you there... I've been known to do this - it's only happened a few times over the past 9 years, but I've done it.

edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had an overnight stay in the Clarendon for an early flight the following morning. It was a little strange at first when you walk through the doors and see the front desk right there. Very nice staff at the front desk..Checking in was pretty easy a little loud as the bar is right there and they had a function going on, Flamenco night. Once we checked we made our way to the room through an open courtyard with a great looking pool and hot tub area. The room was kind of funky decor, a little strange but ok, door didnt close tightly,we could see the light through it, the flat screen tv didnt come on right away and had to warm up... bathroom was a little cramped and a little run down, painted tub, toilet was loose. Went to the lobby bar after we came back from Durrants for Dinner,all concrete and not much to look at, couldnt tell the difference between the staff and the patrons.. overall just a different place. We probably wouldnt stay there again but thats our opinion.