“Urban Disaster”

Ranked #15 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Apple Valley, California
“Urban Disaster”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We needed a hotel for two nights in Phoenix , due to a family emergency. We had used a last minute hotel site before, and got a very nice hotel. This time was a total disaster. We drove up to the hotel and were just holding our breaths. It is in a downtown area amid, several well known hotels. We pulled up to the front to a very small entrance. I got out went inside to a front desk area with a lot of people just hanging around. We checked in and proceeded to go to the one and only elevator to the fourth floor, and were shocked to see we were outside, when we opened the door to our room it looked like someone had taken a very seedy motel,and threw bright orange paint, peel and stick carpet tiles, and some new furnishings to perk up this place. There were paper blinds at the window with blackout , but you could see outside from the corners. To my surprise, the picture of an agave plant on what is a track, slidover to cover the window. There was not even the usual hotel phone system. To get ice you had to go to the front desk.The bathroom was dark and scary, but was clean with new fixtures .There was a green velour blanket at the foot of the bed that was dirty with feathers stuck all over. When we attempted to get room service , we were informed you order, and then have to pick it up. We have eaten at many Mexican restaurants, and I must say this was the worst. This was the worst two nights I have ever spent. I would not ever use a sight ever again where you know the hotel after you pay.

10 Thank kudoos55
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Wow - someone is a Negative Nancy! I'd love to take the opportunity to respond to this review...

* If you're not adventurous, don't use last minute hotel sites where you might end up with a boutique hotel property like The Clarendon. We're all about the experience and the service, not about providing the same looking room you'd find no matter where you travel.
* Lot of people hanging around the front desk... that's a bad thing? Our staff is very friendly, we love to get to know our guests, and we love making sure that our guests are not just enjoying The Clarendon, but Phoenix and Arizona as well.
* One and only elevator? We're the smallest, most intimate hotel in Central Phoenix at just 105 rooms... were you expecting 8 elevators? Really?
* Peel and stick carpet tiles? Yes, they're carpet tiles, but you do realize that carpet tiles are about 6 times as expensive as the carpet that most hotels use? They're also treated with antibacterial and antimicrobial solutions. If a pet or human has an "accident" on the carpet (urine, poop, vomit, diarrhea, blood, wine, milk, stuff that looks like milk if you know what I mean) in most hotels, they just clean the carpet but underneath the "stuff" is still there, molding away in the padding, growing all sorts of nastiness and mold. Since we use carpet tiles, if something happens in a room, we simply remove the tile, and put a new one down. Now, after reading this paragraph, if you're not as sold on carpet tiles as we are then something's wrong.
* Paper blinds? Really? Those are honeycomb cellular blackout shades and as the person who chose them over less expensive products, I can tell you that they were around $340 per window, per room... so they're a little more than paper shades. No curtains at The Clarendon either - curtains hold allergens, dust, dandruff, dead skin, etc., etc. We prefer the cleanliness of the honeycomb cellular shades.
* Not even the usual hotel phone system? You're very much correct here... we have dual cordless phones in our guest rooms, and they act just like home phones. What's even better is that there is no charge for local, long distance, or international telephone calls... a first for the industry! If you need anything at all, just dial zero and we'll take care of your requests immediately.
* Ice at the front desk. You're right again on this on. Let me tell you why: ice machines in nearly every hotel get messed with by hotel guests who think they're being funny by putting dirty underwear in them, by peeing in them, etc. Most hotel ice machines will test positive for pink and green slime mold. I learned all this when I bought the hotel, and decided that the front desk would bag all ice and keep it at the front desk. This is sanitary and this is also another opportunity to talk to our guests. If you want, you can even dial zero and we'll bring ice to your room.

To end my response to this email, I just want to say that I'm sorry that this was the worst experience in your life... you must have a very privileged life, because I'd love to conference you into a phone call with some children around the world who would love to hear your problems with things like ice cubes and room service. ;-)

Please keep in mind that the essence of travel is to experience the things that you would not experience at home, otherwise why travel. Also, keep in mind that I'm here to make sure that you enjoy your stay - my intention when I got into this business was to create something to improve the community, to make people return home with good memories of their experience at The Clarendon and in Phoenix, and in Arizona. If you're not happy, please let someone know right away, don't be passive aggressive, and you'll be quite surprised to know that we actually care. If you're not happy, I'll find you a hotel room somewhere where you will be happy, and I'll even drive you there... I've been known to do this - it's only happened a few times over the past 9 years, but I've done it.

Ben Bethel
Owner/General Manager
The Clarendon Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
edmonton
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had an overnight stay in the Clarendon for an early flight the following morning. It was a little strange at first when you walk through the doors and see the front desk right there. Very nice staff at the front desk..Checking in was pretty easy a little loud as the bar is right there and they had a function going on, Flamenco night. Once we checked we made our way to the room through an open courtyard with a great looking pool and hot tub area. The room was kind of funky decor, a little strange but ok, door didnt close tightly,we could see the light through it, the flat screen tv didnt come on right away and had to warm up... bathroom was a little cramped and a little run down, painted tub, toilet was loose. Went to the lobby bar after we came back from Durrants for Dinner,all concrete and not much to look at, couldnt tell the difference between the staff and the patrons.. overall just a different place. We probably wouldnt stay there again but thats our opinion.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed only one night here but wished we stayed more. The hotel is very nice and very laid back. Front desk staff was very friendly. Rooms are nicely decorated and the beds are incredibly comfortable!! Pool/hot tub area is clean and nice and open late. They offer complimentary snacks at the front desk (candy bars, chips, soda etc.) Will definitely be staying here again.

4 Thank Mattb787
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very trendy and nice. The front desk staff went out of their way to help me out. The staff us the restaurant and bar were really nice as well. The pool area was great and the water warm even in February. The sangrias at the bar were awesome. I would definitely stay here again. A fun place to stay my wife and I had a great time

2 Thank paulofks
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have stayed twice at the Clarendon Hotel and after a brief glitch the first stay (which probably was not the hotel's fault), the second stay rose to the level of awesome. An older building which has been renovated updated and made totally hip, the Clarendon offers excellent value with rooms that are simply and attractively decorated, furnished with comfortable beds and and beautifully clean. There is a large pool and hot tub with a terrific water feature. The hotel houses a great bar and restaurant and if you book through the hotels website a 10.00 voucher for breakfast provides you with a delicious breakfast. I cannot say enough about the friendly and pleasant staff (the young man on the desk on the night shift actually offered to go out and get me shave cream when I asked if they had any). There is a 17.00 resort charge but that provides you with free water, coke and diet coke and snacks. Calls are free, so you can save those minutes on your cell phone if you need to. The television offers a large lineup of channels and the keurig brewer makes AM coffee a snap. After mentioning to the desk the glitch with the first stay I was upgraded to a great suite. Also the manager, Mackenzie spoke to me, providing excellent service recovery. The restaurant is great, happy hour on Tuesdays a blast, but the desk will recommend close by restaurants if you want to eat elsewhere. All in all this is a great, well maintained property with terrific staff and service!

Room Tip: I suspect they all are great but the junior suites offer great value
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank PARIS182
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The care and attention to detail at this hotel are exemplary. Management and staff are proud of the facility and enjoy working there. Niceties including free snacks and bottled water, bicycles for guest use, music in the rooms, and good in-room coffee are just some of the perks. The creativity with which the owner transformed the building is astonishing, fun, and exciting. Just looking around the room is entertaining. The pool is fabulous, as is the onsite restaurant. We absolutely loved this hotel and will stay here when in Phoenix from now on. Thanks for an excellent stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank sagebrush505
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I hadn't been here in years, but I couldn't resist staying here for a sudden trip back. It's even better than before!

The beds are still ridiculously comfortable, and all the creature comforts are there. The coffee pods are so nice to just pop in and be done with. Free bottled water, impeccable housekeeping, philosophy bath products, super soft sheets and towels... so many great things!

I love all the techy upgrades with lighting and decor. Love the ipod docks in the room. PLENTY of plug outlets for every single gadget you bring.

The staff is really friendly and hip, but not pretentious... a welcome change from lots of these other boutique type places where you're paying for attitude.

Room Tip: Always ask for a suite... they're so nice about accommodating if they have availability!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends