“Unique Hotel”

The Clarendon Hotel and Spa
Ranked #17 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We recently used the Clarendon Hotel for our wedding accommodations. We were more than pleased. All of our out of town guests loved the unique atmosphere and decor. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly, giving out welcome bags and helping arrange transportation. The huge hot tub and rooftop bar are not to missed. The Clarendon is a wonderful hotel, highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of saying at The Clarendon for almost a week and had an amazing experience. This place really feels like a home away from home. The staff is definitely the highlight of my experience. They were very helpful and inviting every time I returned back to the hotel. There restaurant is excellent and again the staff there was very fun and inviting. This hotel is far from pretentious. A definite down to earth feel. The room was great and the roof top terrace is awesome. If you are driving in or renting a car, the parking lot is big and has plenty of spots and is right next to the hotel. Really easy to get in and out of. I would definitely recommend The Clarendon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I LOVE staying at this hotel. It's perfect for a stay-cation or an out of town friend. Staff is friendly, hotel and rooms are very clean, the beds are comfy and the pool area is gorgeous and relaxing. The rooftop is a must see and is a perfect place to relax and watch the sunset with friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Loved this hotel! Based on the restaurant and bar alone, I will be back. I literally ate there every single day I was checked in (close to 5 days). The decor, pool, and artwork around the hotel and bar...all beautiful. I paid $79-$120 a night with an additional resort fee per day. I wasn't expecting the extra fee, but it was well worth it as it included free parking, free snacks and drinks at the desk, free phone calls (long distance, too), and free toiletries.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Clarendon is colorful, cheery, sunny but one of the coolest hotels I've ever visited all the same! My favorite feature by far is that pool deck! Great for catching some Phoenix sun and cooling off in style! The restaurant on the premises is very good too! The staff is very friendly and will try to accommodate whatever you might need. And the hotel is conveniently located in central Phoenix, just 3 miles away from US Airways Center, lots of clubs and restaurants, and probably even closer to businesses for those who may be traveling for work. This is a great hotel, and NOT too expensive at all!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Recently stayed for two nights at this gem and was pleasantly surprised at the comfort, decor, and professionalism of this boutique hotel.

The room had all the amenities I wanted. Even an I-phone dock radio, which means a lot when your phone is your life!

Loved the decor, the bed was INCREDIBLY comfortable - I think I slept better here than any other hotel I've stayed at.

The pool was a treat to swim in - very relaxing, and soothing.

I was in luck to have stayed on a Wednesday night, where the great restaurant Gallo Blanco hosts a night of Flamenco - music and dancers. This free show was a great bonus to my stay!

Overall had a very satisfying experience, surprised by the comfort and amenities. Will definitely look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is one of the worst places we have sayed at. I booked the room through a discount site which offered this hotel for $130 per night which seemed fair for a supposedly 3 1/2 star hotel.
However, this place is more like a 2 star MOTEL.
1) I was surrounded by drunks walking up and down to the pool and back to their room until at least 1 am, I stopped looking at the clock because I had a 6 am flight and had to try to get some sleep.
2) I had requested an early check in and the front desk told me since I booked with a "discount site" I had to pay a $25 early check in fee. Note to owner: don't nickel and dime your customers, it's very cheap, expected of a 2 star motel . And result is negative feedback.
3)there is another $10 "resort fee". Resort? This is not a resort, I have been at a resort, clarendon is not even close to being a resort.
To top it all off, the uncomfortable.
I ended up paying almost $170 for what should be considered 2 stars at best.
Here is the punch line,
Spend the money properly and go to a big chain hotel with reliable and predictable quality and service

Room Tip: Don't stay here. This is a party motel , so if you are in the area for business, and have early...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dancershelby
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Shelby,

Thank you very much for your review - I'm sorry that these issues weren't resolved by the staff, and I'd like to take a moment to address these issues individually.

I'm glad that you found that the rates were reasonable - we agree. In fact, we do a weekly rate comparison between The Clarendon and other hotels in our area and find that our rates are usually 35%-60% less than any other hotel in the area, and we do our best to give you value for your money, and a great experience.

I'd disagree with the "motel" statement you made - a motel is a "motor hotel", where you drive your vehicle right up to your room door, which is definitely what we are not. We're a hotel, and many people call The Clarendon an urban retreat, a resort, or even an oasis in the middle of the city. Perhaps because of our pool, which has been named Phoenix's Best Hotel Pool for the past 5 years running!

On your list of items, here's a response to each of them in order, to explain our policies and try to understand your frustration a little better. My goal is to create a great experience for all guests, and when I went into business, it wasn't to put myself out of business... I want you to be happy, and I want you to return, and I want you to tell all of your friends about your experience.

1) Drunks - you said you were "surrounded by drunks walking up and down to the pool and back to their room until at least 1am" - Our pool closes at 10pm Sunday through Thursday nights and 11pm on Friday and Saturday nights, so I'm not sure how this was possible. Please let me know what night you stayed, as I'd like to examine the security footage. We have closed the pool early for a long time now, because of exactly this reason.

2) Early check-in - you're correct, you were charged the fee because you used a discount site. Keep in mind that our rates are in parity across all sites, and should be the same no matter which site you check. However, if you book directly with the hotel, you get early check-in, we don't take your money up front, we charge you at check-out, we give you a generous cancellation policy, you're more likely to get a better room location, and even sometimes a free room upgrade if you book directly. If we allowed everyone to have early check-in, we just wouldn't have rooms available on time and everyone would be upset all the time, as rooms do need to be cleaned from the guests who just checked out, as we've been very busy lately due to the number of positive reviews we've been receiving.

3) $10 resort fee? No, there's no $10 resort fee... however there is a $17 hotel service fee. Keep in mind that this includes internet, parking, unlimited bottled water, unlimited minibar snacks and drinks, and even international calls. Our competition in the neighborhood charges up to $60/night just for parking and internet alone, and we feel this fee gives you a tremendous amount of value for the money.... another example, a nearby hotel has a tiny little clear plastic cube of M&Ms or Snickers in their minibars for $12!!!! And their bottle of water (water is H2O, nothing more than that) is $10!!!! At the Clarendon, these items are included, so what can get better than that?!

We always want you to enjoy your stay - we're the smallest hotel in Central Phoenix, and with that comes great personal service... and an incredible amount of value for the money. Give us another shot, be sure to ask for me - if I'm not there, my mobile number is always sitting right at the front desk on my business cards, what other hotel owner in the world readily makes their mobile number available to everyone?

If you're a traveler considering The Clarendon for a future stay, keep in mind that I *guarantee* that you'll enjoy your stay... if not, I've been known on occasion to personally drive guests to another hotel... I've also been known to do this with guests who are just generally unhappy people, it's better to keep the positive energy at the hotel and put the negative energy somewhere besides The Clarendon!

Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to reply to this review... I appreciate it - I get more guests at The Clarendon for my responses to "less than stellar" reviews than I do from anything else.

Ben Bethel