“Our romantic getaway”

Ranked #15 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Tucson
“Our romantic getaway”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

From the big, Covered parking, parking lot; to the airport style luggage carriers, the funky exterior, we knew we lucked on to a great place! Entering the hotel, it was lively and we were greeted and checked in painlessly, with the elevator close by. The rooms surround the pool, which was clean and fun with a LARGE hot tub called the hydro pool, as it was as wide as the pool. Jets were great. The room had all the amenities you could want, and included in the room price. No gauging! There is a 20$ hotel fee that they were sure we knew about. It included internet, local paper at the desk, free snacks at the desk in the middle of the night, etc. The town, as well as the hotel guests, rave about the tacos at the hotel restaurant. My fav extra was the luxurious house robes.
The bed was so comfy great that I felt it should have it's own sentence. GO, ENJOY

Room Tip: I'm not sure how to help with this. We got a jr. Suite it was great.quiet too
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your review - I really do appreciate it when people have a great time at The Clarendon. I hope that you'll return soon!

The Clarendon Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I used to be a big fan of this hotel but, following my most recent visit, think it has become a cynical rip-off. One draw of this "urban retreat" has been its appeal to patronize local ownership and a place that had some real local color. This quality has been eclipsed by inattentive service (nobody at the front desk for check-in), faux chic, and service fee ($20 per night for quasi-covered parking, a gym with minimalist space and equipment, pool, and Internet). Cynicism has overtaken charm. For a similar price, you can get a nice resort or trendy "urban retreat" that hums, in Scottsdale. Sorry to say good by to the Clarendon, but it said good by to me first.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
I'm glad to hear that you were a fan of the hotel, but I'm saddened to hear that we've fallen out of favor. I bought the hotel to create something that the community would be proud of, and not to make guests feel like they've been ripped off at all.

In the past few years, we've improved practically everything about the property, so we're definitely headed in the right direction and are improving even more areas of the hotel as we speak.

The service fee you mentioned includes more than parking, gym, internet, pool - it does include parking ($38/night at a nearby hotel!), international calls ($20/minute at a nearby hotel!), internet ($22.95/day at a nearby hotel!), gym access, free personal training sessions at ultra fit boot camp (normally $135/person!), free passes to gold's gym elite (normally $20/person/day!), unlimited bottled water (up to $12/bottle at nearby hotels!), and unlimited minibar snacks and drinks ($8/bag for M&Ms at a nearby hotel!).... so we think there is a lot of value in the fee, and many guests agree and love that it includes so much.

We are almost always priced below any of our neighboring properties, while offering a really cool experience. We don't hire staff with attitudes, and if I hear that any staff members are anything but kind, warm, and helpful, I will replace them at the drop of a hat. If you had a bad experience with a staff member, please make sure that I know about who it was, otherwise I cannot take action to correct the situation.

Thank you again for leaving your review. I take any negative reviews in a very positive and pro-active manner.... while some people think that their review may have a negative impact on us, they actually have a very positive effect. I take every bad review and immediately take action, have a meeting with my staff, and make sure that things mentioned in the review are corrected as quickly as possible. A lot of guests thinking of staying with us use tripadvisor, and many mention that my responses to negative reviews is what made them choose to stay at The Clarendon!

Give us another chance... rest assured, the next time you stay with us will be nothing short of fantastic!

The Clarendon Hotel
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 13, 2012

An extremely pushy salesman, undermining my knowledge. I work in a sales call center so I know someone is trying to sell me.... I do it all day. But what this gentleman didn't realize is that you have to gauge a customers interest by feeling them out. Instead of gauging where I was as a customer, he proceeded to tell me what I should do, how I should make my decisions.

"I don't know if you know anything about hotels, but...." in a ridiculously condescending tone. I said I would talk to my girlfriend and I would get back to him, but the gentleman would absolutely not let me get a word in. Feature dumping every little thing he can find about the hotel. This is not a reflection of the hotel itself but merely the undereducated salesman who lost the interest of a customer. I may be a drop in the hat to the "fully booked hotel" and "regular customers" of this establishment, but I am still a person. I would much rather be coaxed into purchasing the place that having it shoved down my throat.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blah b
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Thank you so much for your review... in all fairness, we do use an outside call center to handle our reservations calls so that we can focus more time and energy to providing great service to our guests who are in-house at the moment. Most hotels do this, so I hope you don't gauge the experience of The Clarendon by one single phone call to someone who is off-site.

I did forward this to the owners of the reservations service, and they went over every single recording for inbound calls over the past few days, and didn't hear anything that described this call. Please let us know when you called and who you spoke to, as we cannot take corrective action if we don't know who it was. If we know, then we can correct the situation immediately by no longer allowing this person to answer calls for The Clarendon.

You're never a "drop of the hat" to me, or any of my employees - we realize that all guests are exactly that - *guests* of ours, and we only want you to have a great experience of The Clarendon, and of Phoenix, and of Arizona. That's the business we're in.... not in the business of creating bad experiences, but good ones - otherwise we'd be running an airline, driving a bus, or working at a DMV office where it seems most people live to create bad experiences! ;-)

I'm glad that you acknowledged that your review is not a reflection of the hotel itself... thank you, because that does mean a lot to me. I did take immediate action on this and we did spend a lot of time having the calls reviewed to see who would act in a condescending manner. Rest assured that you should never experience something like this at The Clarendon - of course I can't say anything about your experience getting here, as we all know how awful getting through traffic, airport security, airplanes, more traffic, taxi cabs, etc. can be.

I started the hotel to create a positive experience that guests would enjoy, so make sure you provide me with more details and I'll work to get this issue resolved...

Owner/GM
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This hotel charge
" $20 Resort fee " per night!
at the check in; that incluid internet, pool, parking and you can chose 1 snack per day from a list of snaks they have at the front desk 50cents snacks, and incluid locals calls and the pool towels ah! and the gym is incluid! It is The same size that a regular room with 4 old fashion treadmills no machines at all!. So if u don't need Internet or snaks or parking you still have to pay the $20 DOLLARS RESORT FEE!

The only windows the rooms have are facing the pool, NO PRIVACY!
I didn't like the hotel at all. I felt upset since the moment I saw they were charging hidden fees like the RESORT FEE!

• Stayed February 2012
Ben B, Owner at The Clarendon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Leslie - I'd like to clarify a few things for you...

1) The resort fee includes much, much more than internet, pool, parking, local calls and 1 snack per day! It is not a hidden fee as you state - it's mentioned on every site out there, in big bold print, and it includes the following:

* covered parking (other hotels in the area charge up to $45/night just for parking!
* Internet (other hotels in the area charge up to $22.95!)
* long distance *and* international calls (other hotels charge up to $20/minute just for a call to London or Sydney!)
* unlimited bottled water (other hotels charge up to $12 per bottle and are sneaky, placing it right within reach so that you wake up at night from a deep sleep and start drinking it so you get charged!)
* unlimited "late night munchies" minibar - not just one snack from a list, you can have a bunch of snacks (other hotels charge up to $12 for jelly beans in a little baby-food size jar)
* in-room Keurig coffee machines with regular and flavored *liquid* creamer (other hotels use coffee pots that not only get washed with the same brush as the tub/shower/sink/toilet, and usually give you just one packet of sugar and one packet of awful powdered creamer)
* morning newspaper (at the desk, since hardly anyone reads a real newspaper anymore),
* access to our fitness room (yes, it's just cardio equipment and free weights and kettle bells) AND access to UltraFit Boot Camp with a personal trainer for an hour (usually $90/hr but free for our guests), access to Gold's Gym Elite (a day pass costs $20, but free for our guests)
* four pool passes for visiting friends (usually $10/each)

Compared to other area hotels, you can see you're getting a lot for your money, and 99% of our guests really enjoy everything they get for the fee. Of course, we'd love to not charge any fee, but rates at hotels are still below 1997 levels, while airfares have gone way up. Just think of how much per hour you spent to fly to your destination, and how awful your seat, service, and food were... now think of your hotel room per hour and what it includes. Even with this fee being fully disclosed, we are still sold out every Saturday of the year, sometimes weeks in advance, and many other days of the week as well.... so you can see that a lot of people understand the value in this fee.... of course we could get rid of the fee and start charging for all the other things, but then people would just be upset with that, probably more than the fee.

3) Pool privacy - you mention the room windows facing the pool... I'm not sure where you would like having the pool placed so that you couldn't see it from a guest room window? We're the only hotel in central Phoenix that has a pool located in between our four buildings.... every other hotel in the area has a pool along a noisy, busy road (not relaxing for you) where people can watch you from their cars while sitting in traffic, OR has a pool that's visible from a dozen high-rise office buildings so that people who are working at their desk and who are in meetings can all comment on your tan-lines, bathing suit, and body. Our pool is very private, and does not have traffic noise.... and has the world's largest glass water-wall - over 60 feet wide and 2 stories tall and covered in silver, it not only shimmers beautifully, but sounds like a mountain stream was transported from Sedona to Phoenix... it's very soothing.

Sorry that you did not enjoy your stay - but for the sake of other readers, I had to set the record straight.... I understand your frustration but not your anger and hostility. Did you bring this up with anyone? My mobile number is available at the desk, and I can be called 24 hours a day, every day of the year, to make sure that you're enjoying your stay - if you have problems that the staff cannot resolve, call me... I'm there for you!

Reviewed February 2, 2012

From the minute I walked in the front door I felt I belonged. The staff at the front desk was friendly, warm, helpful, and solicitous of my needs. They made suggestions on where to eat, what to see, and even Wednesday night entertainment. The view from the roof top is awesome, especially as the sun is setting. The pool area is clean, spacious and very inviting. My room was large, clean and well stocked. From my room I had a very of the pool at night time when the lights are on and the bottom of the pool reflects the sky. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Congratulations to the owners and staff who work deligently to make staying with them an experience to remember.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Gingerop
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The pool was always packed, which is fine by me. I hate to see hotel pools go to waste. The onsite restaurant/bar is pretty good, a little overpriced, but that's what you get for a hotel restaurant. Its an independent hotel chain, and the staff was friendly. However, their concierge services weren't really all that helpful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Agree with all other reviewers -- great location, amazing food, hip hotel. But I want to add that it's kid friendly too. I was just there with my 5 year old daughter and she enjoyed the pool, the flamenco dancers and the snacks. Great small independent hotel. So glad we stayed here instead of a chain hotel; much more personality here.

Two slight negatives:
1) walls are pretty thin, so I agree with reviewer who recommended asking for a room at end of hall.
2) we were on 3rd floor and there was an odd smell, sort of like onions, lingering in the hallway during out entire 3 night stay. Icky. I'm guessing it was a temporary thing. We'd still come back!

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family