“If you like chaos then this is the place for you”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix
Ranked #7 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kuwait
“If you like chaos then this is the place for you”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed at the hotel during a business trip. Although a lot of aspects of this hotel is strong and positive, it all became nil and void when I arrived in my room and it was no different when I left it early today. Food tray on the same place, smell of food hanging in the room, bed was not made and the bathroom was not cleaned. We did ask for an extended stay because we were on a midnight flight to Boston. Surely if we have paid for those extra hours, the hotel could have cleaned up!
Was an isolated incident? No because my colleagues room was also not cleaned the day before!
I arrived in Phoenix and booked in. All ok. I did not find the front desk staff significantly helpful. Some or other Manager had the audacity to write to me to ask to rate my experience. I wrote back and asked for a special room on my return four days later - not a word from the hotel or the manager.
I ordered room service on three occasions and the stuff arrived at my room just outside of the promised time. The breakfast delivered to my room was a disappointment. Adjacent to the hotel is a restaurant Blue Hound. This place must still learn what customer service means - Not recommended at all
I will never ever stay at this hotel again and I will be rather sensitive to stay in any of their other hotels

Room Tip: Should risk to stay at the hotel, I believe they have room with nice soaking tubs. I will NOT try th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Fodor's reports this year with their top 100 hotels around the world. Well, the Palomar was listed and since we live a short commute from Phx we went. It is very nice great colors schemes and well appointed in the lobbies and common areas of the hotel. However, we discovered that in the room there was no place to put away our folded clothes. There was a free standing wardrobe for handing clothes but no dresser - even the night stands didn't have any drawers. We only stayed one night so no big deal. At checkout we inquired about the lack of a dresser but the clerk didn't seem to know what was or wasn't in the rooms. Also the remote (a must for a man) was terrible. Great bathroom. We went with a small suite with a large soaking tub and shower combo.

1 Thank ribbaz
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Palomar for one night. I chose it because it was right across the street from the US Air Center (I was attending a concert there).

Check in was great. The front desk was very friendly and the process was fast.

The room and the entire hotel is modern, clean, and comfortable. My room was a nice size. All the amenities were fantastic. At check-in they gave a coupon for $10 worth of anything in the minibar. Never heard of a hotel doing that. It came in handy for the overpriced bottles of water they have there. I would also like to mention that they had an ihome iphone dock AND outlets next to the bed. Thank you smart people who designed that. Plus free Wifi!

Some nice bonuses this hotel had. Free wine happy hour. They even offered a little flatbread appetizer as well. Thought that was a nice tough. Also, my girlfriend forgot her contact solution and they provided a bottle to her complimentary. Outstanding.

I have one tiny complaint about this hotel. The shower does not have a door. It has a glass panel separating it from the rest of the bathroom so water does not come out. And an opening so you can get in and out. I have seen these types of showers and I find them annoying. Aside from a better chance of water getting out to the ground, it is a pain to turn on the water. The only way to turn on the water is to get in and turn it on and have cold water shoot you right in the face or body. There is noway to reach in and turn it on from the side an wait for it to heat up a little. I cant be the only one who feels this way. Its the only blemish in an otherwise fantastic hotel.

Overall, with a fantastic location, very nice rooms, excellent staff, and nice little bonuses, I would totally stay here again when in the Phoenix area.

2 Thank bractune
Fremont, California
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Palomar for three nights of a business trip. The staff and property lived up to the high standards set by other Kimpton properties. The downtown location is excellent, providing access to great restaurants, sports and event facilities and shopping. I especially loved complimentary access to the Gold's Gym Elite next door to the hotel. The gym is well appointed and extremely convenient. Jay at the front desk was super helpful. I highly recommend this property.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank TravelingSeniorita
Upstate
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We are huge fans of Kimpton, especially their restaurants. We stayed here for one night after leaving the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, and maybe that influenced my view a little. While the rooms are funky and very clean, they are a little sparse and I would have liked a balcony. (Not their fault). What really disappointed was the roof-top area, which I feel is something they really promote on their website. The pool is small, and the furniture around it is a bit junky. They have three cabanas with upholstered furniture in them, but many of the cushions were stained and there were a lot of used towels and glassware laying around. The loungers around the pool were very basic, and all of the side tables between were dirty and sticky from other people's cocktails. Like I didn't even want to put my stuff on them, I put my book, etc. on the floor instead. It was Happy Hour when we were hanging out, and we enjoyed a couple of cocktails, I really liked my White Sangria.,

The front desk attendant, bellman and valet were all very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the "Wine Hour", then had an OK meal at Blue Hound.

Two weird things happened while we were there. A few minutes after we checked in, we were hanging out in the room and one of the cleaning staff knocked on the door and said they had to inventory the mini-bar. Then the next morning at 10am (checkout is 11am) we were packing up and the cleaning person walked right into the room without knocking, and was surprised to find us still there.

Room Tip: Our room looked toward the baseball stadium and mountains
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I love Kimptons, what I love most is the way they have a cool relaxed vibe and never feel like they are trying too hard to be cool. This one misses the mark for me as it appears to want to be cool, like a rapper trying to appear classy it just comes across as a little bit gaudy. The staff were great at reception and all around but with the roof top pool feeling more like a Miami posing joint it just wasn't what I've come to expect from the finest hotel chain in North America.

If the Palomar could just learn to relax a bit it would step up to the level that Kimpton consistently delivers. If this was a Marriott it would be getting a 4, but with Kimpton I expect more.

Room Tip: Get a room looking out over Chase Field and towards the mountains
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, United States
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The vibe is trendy, modern, youthful, and fresh for the downtown Phoenix area. The price is in range of the other downtown hotels but with the added advantage of being in the heart of the city's sports, business, and a choice of nearby top-notch restaurants. The staff was on top of their customer service game; always engaging with conversations and checking my pulse on how the stay is going. I will be staying here again!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business