“One of the best”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Weston, Massachusetts
“One of the best”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was one of the nicest hotel stays I’ve had, particularly for a business trip. The hallmark of the hotel seemed to be outstanding, personal, over-the-top service and little amenities to make you feel you are getting something extra. Case in point: join their free “In Touch” program and get free internet access and $10 credit in the minibar. Freebies on demand included unusual items such as Tide-to-Go sticks and TSA-compliant quart bags for liquids (complete with instructions on TSA requirements. There was also a nice wine-and-apps gathering each evening at the “living room.”

The bed was comfy, there were plenty of pillows (both foam and feather), and the temperature control worked well, although with 110 degree heat while I was there the AC had to work pretty hard and it wasn’t completely silent.

Speaking of not completely silent…. there’s still a fair bit of construction going on above the 10th floor, and you can hear it. At check-in the clerk noted that I’d requested a quiet room (having read the prior reviews on TripAdvisor), so presumably the noise might be worse elsewhere. It was very faint, more like a dripping faucet, but my room was so quiet otherwise that the distant sound of tapping was noticeable. Although the front desk assured me there was no construction at night, twice I was awakened at 1 a.m. by a sound that sure sounded like hammering in the distance. The good news was, when I asked about the first day, they asked if there was an “I’m sorry” accommodation they could make, then they asked me about it again at checkout – when I said I’d been wakened a second time, they knocked $40 off my bill (my room service charge) to compensate me. Nice!

The hotel is also located in a terrific spot, within easy walking distance of restaurants, bars, CVS, Starbucks, Chipotle, the US Airways Center, Chase Field, courthouse, etc., etc. The outdoor pool, overlooking the mountains, is lovely (and a great break from the 110 degree heat!) and the outdoor bar next to the pool was terrific, with lots of seating and good music (and cooling mist sprayers – did I mention the 110 heat?). All in all, I was very pleased with my stay and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Until construction finishes, ask for 5th floor or lower, and off the main street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pjfrommass
jimpalomar1, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear PJ......thank you for the review. I'm so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the minor construction noise. We do have a no construction policy in effect especially during sleeping times... ( i mean that is why you come here right :) You can be assured that I have spoken to the construction company that is building the apartments above us and they have assured me that there will be no work during the early morning hours. They are almost complete with the project. The crane in front of the building leaves us after 6 years on September 20th and the building will be enclosed by the end of October. Residency begins mid December. What a spectacular addition to CityScape and our beautiful city.
Thanks again for the comments and please reach out to me if I can be assistance with future reservations. We appreciate the business.

Jim Hollister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Overall I can honestly say the hotel was nice. Great location. But please write down your mileage before leaving your car with the valet. I caught them taking my car for a joy ride. They said they needed to move it because it was in a reserved spot. I saw my car around Chase Field. Much further than around the block. Didn't buy their story.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear NWK, a joy ride in your car?? REALLY? I hate that what was a good stay with us turned into disappointment. I believe our valet company has been in touch with you to find resolution to this unfortunate situation. We do park a lot of cars and I would never make excuses but we at times have to drive around the block to get the car into the correct garage as one of them might be full so we have to relocate cars when there is a big concert or sporting event next door. I will be sure and speak to the valet company and make sure this is the case always. I will say in the year we have been open this is the first I have ever heard of something like this happening. Please let me know if I can be any assistance at all NWK. Want you to have a great impression of our wonderful hotel.

london
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were lucky enough to be in a corner suite. Warm welcome with young staff, so-so wine reception, and a few freebies from the minibar. Free cycles to use to get around a rather sterol hot city, but a lovely thought. A really nice treat some place, not at all chain-like.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
richard4521
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wonderful hotel to cap off a week long trip in Arizona. Staff was wonderful the accommodations were first rate. This is a hotel/club type so the common areas have fairly loud music playing all the time. The restaurant in the hotel was a bust but you cannot take that away from the property. The restaurant was very overpriced for the quantity that was severed and I know the intent is flavor over size but the flavor was not the best either. Stay away from the corn on the cob. The sauce on the corn was loaded with fat and just not a good blend.

The Valet was expensive but for Downtown Phoenix I am sure it was market price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Good location in downtown Phoenix. The Hotel is currently undergoing construction on the addition of uppor floors, so there is some disruption. But even so, the hotel is very wekll maintained, they have a great socila hour 5-6 each day and the pool is excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Since we were driving through Phoenix, we made reservations at Hotel Alomar. We knew that downtown Phoenix was in the midst of construction, but boy was I surprised when I entered the hotel. From the start, at valet (use valet, or you will park across the street where construction materials are stored), and check-in/check-out, I was impressed by the staff. The hotel is near US Airways Center and close to alot of great places to eat. We chose the Blue Hound, inside the hotel, for the first night. The salads were good but I was not impressed by the "chef's choice" fish. The server explained it as this spectacular dish that would allow the chef to demonstrate his abilities, but unfortunately it did not. Since I could see into the kitchen, I am not sure if the chef was nervous because most of the staff was in the kitchen watching him prepare this "spectacular" dish or he just did not know what to do with it but for the price, I was expecting more. All in all, I would stay again, just not eat at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
So glad you let me know about your experience! It appears that you had a good stay with us despite the construction in the area. I will let you know our self parking is located in the garage below the hotel so is totally safe from the outdoor elements. As for BlueHound......how disappointing that you didn't have a great dinner. I know the chef is already aware of your experience with your meal so I'm sure he is moving quickly to make whatever improvements he needs to make but will tell you that BlueHound is one of the top rated restaurants in the city if not the United States with Chef Stephen's interesting/creative entrees. I hope the next time you travel to Phoenix you will let me know so I can plan a special evening for you in BlueHound to hopefully gain your trust once again.

Herndon VA
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We checked into this hotel for one night before our flight back to DC from SW canyon tours. We were in love with our king room the minute we walk in. Decor was very modern and fresh, plus the size of room is pretty big too with a couch to sit on and a table. We went up to the pool area to chill, while the decor and space up in pool area is beautiful, the music was a bit loud and looks like its a happening place in town with many locals hanging out in the pool. Hubby was trying to read - not a good idea!! We went back to the room with our drinks and enjoyed the space instead. All in all, definitely recommend if you are young and looking for some fun place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple