“Excellent Service”

Ranked #9 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

One thing you can expect at a Kimpton is excellent service. The Palomar is no exception. The concierge Suzanne was excellent and was like a friend. At check-in Marco made sure we had everything we needed. We stayed for three nights. The location can't be beat if you are going to a Dbacks or Suns game, you are right there! The rooms are great. We had a nice skyline view. The cityscape is like a little oasis in the middle of downtown. The Arrogant Butcher and Copper Blues there had a great happy hour with great appitizers. The Breakfast Club right out the guests lobby was excellent and a great value! At the hotel we had the Bass for two, it had the best flavors. The menu may seem odd but just try it, they are really into flavor and something different. The coffee in the lobby was awesome. We were on the ninth floor and did hear a lot of racket in the daytime, Monday and Tuesday. Nights and weekends were quiet. Not a real biggie. The only thing I didn't like was the pool area and bar where closed on Saturday night for a private party. I just don't understand how a hotel can close a major amenity to their paying guests. Anyway the Palomar was very enjoyable and hope to be back. This will be a very popular hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Balitmorw
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed for just one night at the Palomar and wished we could have stayed longer! Check-in could not have been easier, and the room was nice, clean and well decorated. The lobby is gorgeous. We had breakfast in the restaurant the the staff was so friendly. I would honestly not consider staying anywhere else when back in Phoenix. The hotel exceeded all of our expectations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, CO
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Beautiful lobby, plenty of staff. Check in took a minute. I had joined their membership club in advance which provided free WiFi, a daily newspaper (New York Times!), and something I did not expect--a $10 raid the mini-bar coupon. I arrived in the room and immediately took pictures to share with family. It was a very very nice room. Spacious, well-appointed, clean and luxurious. Wireless was blazing fast. TV was great--very large flat screen with HBO (I had to catch up on Game of Thrones--so I was glad about that). Bathroom very large, well-lighted, nice shower. One of my favorite things was the bat mat was rolled up at the door/entrance to shower, and flick of your tow unrolled it so you could step out into the bathroom. Towels were very soft, plentiful. Plenty of hot water and pressure. Nice sink, shaving mirror (really nice). Good soap and shampoo selection.

I needed to iron my shirts and the iron was top of the line with a retractable cord (that actually did not retract because I pulled it out too far). Ironing board was fine. I had a cruddy view, but couldn't complain as I was a guest of a training academy.

Beautiful pool on third floor. I went in twice on my last day at the hotel--never actually saw anyone else in it.

The bed was exquisite.I could have spent three days in bed. Room had great climate control, but I did not really need to use it. It was 108 outside and 70 in the room. I never heard anyone in the halls, in the neighboring rooms, above or below me. It was great--nearly a perfect hotel.

A free loaner bike (for daylight hours!) was fun. The downtown is an odd place with not much going on--I rode up central to the arts district and other attractions. If interested in a city being reborn, plenty of interesting contrasts. The hotel is quite near the light rail and very easy to get to from the airport (Sky Harbor) using public transportation.

The staff could not have been nicer--always willing to help.

Odd things--not really detractors:
Strange bedroll thing on bed--still unclear about that.
Ridiculously priced items in mini-bar.
Things for sale in closet--comfy socks
Construction on upper floors (there was a note about this and some ear plugs--both not needed).
108 outside, really cold inside, fire burning in third floor "living room" gas fireplace. Very strange.

Room Tip: You could ask for a better view than I had.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bothrops
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I had a meeting at the Hotel Palomar back in April of 2013. For my job I am in a different hotel for a different meeting 1-2 times a month (on average). This hotel just climbed to the top of my list. Hands down - #1!

To start the location is great! There is plenty for your guests to do while in town and tons of it is walkable. Not to mention they are less than 15 minutes from the airport. Very convenient.

Their meeting space - perfect! They have an entire floor devoted to meeting rooms. This makes it very nice for both the guests as well as the planners. Everyone is in one place and it is very easy to find and get around. It is nice that the hotel is not overly large too. Your group gets the attention it should and the hotel staff is easy to locate and always available.

Speaking of hotel staff - AMAZING! During the planning of this meeting I was all over the place – traveling, on-site for other meetings and moving (ie. less than desirable to work with). They kept me in check and they worked with my CRAZY-NESS to help put together a fantastic meeting. Again, the ENTIRE staff was amazing - from the bellmen and valet to the front desk to the maintenance - - even the GM was around and amazing. Each and every person I encountered went over and above for my entire group. But if you are thinking about sourcing this hotel for a meeting, I have to throw out some favorites: Chantelle Nikkel - Sales, Janae Tapia - CSM, James - Banquets and Susan - Front Desk.

From a planners point of view, there were dozens of “little things” they did that showed they really cared about my group. They made my very stressful job
smooth and seamless for three-straight-days. Who wouldn’t be amazed by that? Seriously!

All-in-all - Perfection! I would, hands down, recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Phoenix for a meeting. You will not be disappointed!

Happy Meeting Planning!
*Angie

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Angie S
Conyers, Georgia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed at the Palomar 4 nights for a business trip last month. For the downtown Phoenix area, the location is great. It was walking distance from the office as well as many restaurants & night life. I walked to the baseball stadium to watch the Braves loose to the Diamondbacks. Boo. Another great hotel feature is the guest use of a Gold’s Gym that is out the 2nd floor entrance/exit. There is a restaurant and a couple of nice bars located in the hotel as well. The cleanliness and hotel staff were exceptional.

My only complaints were the slight sacrifice in functionality at the sake of having an ultra-modern feel. My half-shower door looked cool, but it got the bathroom floor wet with every shower. Fancy brightly-colored oblong shaped toiletry items were pretty but the lids didn’t screw on very well so I was always chasing down the fumbled container tops. The air-conditioner never seemed to beat down the Phoenix heat. The odd light fixtures and abstract art must be good marketing – I remember them at least.

Honestly these are minor issues on the grand scale but none-the-less a little aggravating. The hotel is extremely nice. So are about 4 other hotels right within the vicinity. I’ve stayed at most all these properties and the Provence ranks right alongside the others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mojo451
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My friend found this hotel online for our annual girl's weekend, and everything looked great, but the reality was so much better! (She found a great rate online because it's June...in Phoenix...not the prime time to visit since it was 112 degrees...) When we first arrived, we were greeted by EVERYONE who works there with a friendly welcome, much door opening, and even elevator calling for us... It got better from there! The pool and bar area is amazing! Our room was gorgeous, and they did nothing but anticipate our needs. The construction going on didn't bother us one little bit...we weren't even aware of it. The location was perfect for our needs...we went to a Diamondbacks game one night and Symphony Hall the next...everything was within walking distance. The hotel also sits on a nice little plaza, so it was close to things like a drug store and a bunch of restaurants. I will definitely be taking my husband to this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I thought this hotel was fantastic - I'd stayed in a Kimpton hotel previously and had a good experience (San Francisco) so the Palomar was my first choice for my trip to Phoenix. We stayed 2 nights at the beginning and end of a Grand Canyon hiking trip. I liked the simple, modern decor of the hotel and thought the rooms were very spacious and well-appointed, with a very comfortable bed and large bathroom. The Palomar was in a great location, directly across from the baseball stadium and close to some decent eating & drinking places. We used the hotel's free bikes to cycle around town and go to dinner at night (Phoenix is a sprawling city so the bikes are a good way to get around) and the staff were really helpful in directing us to the best parts of town to see, including the arts precinct. The hotel is close to the airport and my only gripe was that the taxi we took from the hotel back to the airport tried to seriously rip us off by taking us the very long way round.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends