“Great new hotel, great location.”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix
Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I travel to Phoenix often for business, and have stayed here multiple times. Opened last year, the hotel is very nice, staff is great, and the amenities are excellent for a smaller downtown hotel. This is usually my first choice when staying downtown.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix

Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Stellar hotel, good location and standard Kimpton service and style. I'll be staying here again.

Two things were a little off; they are building on top of the hotel which made for some noise and inconvenience. The shower had no door and no stopper which meant the entire bathroom floor was wet when you shower. I really feel bad for the maids because every day I left a mess of wet towels.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I very much was looking forward to my visit to the Palomar in Phoenix for a conference. The property is nice, the rooftop pool deck and bar are lovely.

Unfortunately, the failure of the staff and management to remedy their own error in my booking thoroughly soured my experience of the hotel - I won't stay with Kimpton again.

Without belaboring the details - I traveled to Phoenix with two of my employees for a conference. To save money, we agreed to share one room, and we contacted the hotel more than a month before our stay change to a room that could accommodate the 3 of us. With the help of the conference organizer, I received email confirmation that we were booked for a room that would sleep three.

Upon arriving at the hotel, the reservation system was down. Being IT professionals, we were patient as the staff struggled to work offline, thought they were unnecessarily curt when I insisted that my check-in was indeed for that day rather than the next day as their printed manifest indicated. Once the systems were back up, the computer showed indeed we were to check in that day. Why the print out made hours before indicated otherwise I don't understand, but the lack of accurate records informed later discussions with the staff.

We asked for a cot to be delivered to our room. We were informed that due to fire code we were unable to have a cot in our room. I proceeded to pull out my laptop and show the string of emails that clearly indicated we were promised a room that would accommodate the three of us.

The staff continued to be curt as I attempted to rationalize with them and point out they were in the wrong. The kept repeating the inability to add a cot to the room due to fire code, and I reminded them that their job was now to remedy the situation, not to make excuses for the mishap.

In the end we were offered another room at a higher rate than we paid for the initial reservation. As I mentioned, the plan was to save money and share a room...so one of us slept on the floor.

The inability and unwillingness of Kimpton staff to solve this problem was astounding.

I hope that if you have read this far you will seek out another hotel for your stay to Phoenix and avoid the corporate quagmire that is Kimpton.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Brian W
jimpalomar1, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Hello Brian, wow, I'm so sorry for this experience. As evidence by the stellar reviews we have been receiving since our opening last June.....this is not the typcial for our hotel. I take your experience very seriously!! I would need a little more information about who you spoke to besides your conference organizer. I'm not showing anywhere in our system that you were originally booked in a room with 2 beds and the conference you were attending had completely sold the hotel out. I welcome you to contact me directly at jhollister@hotelpalomar.com. I don't like that you left here unsatisfied and we couldn't make your experience better. I can't change the past Brian but hopefully we can find resolution to this and I can find a way to make it up to you.....sleeping on the floor....well, that isn't good!! I hope to hear from you.

Sincerely
Jim Hollister

Reviewed May 17, 2013

There are so many things to mention about this hotel, but I will start with the staff. They are top notch - each and every one of them. They go out of their way to attend to your needs and make you feel welcome without ever mnaking you feel smothered. The rooms are confortable and the public areas are very well thought out. Drinks and food onsite are among the best in downtown Phoenix. They were building condos on the floors above the hotel, but we never heard construction so that was nice. They are dog friendly too, so I'm sure that is a big plus for some travellers. Location is perfect - it's right across the street from several major sports venues and entertainment options. Also lots to do in the surrounding businesses (other restaurants, bowling alley, music venues/clubs, etc). The stay includes access to the Gold's gym in the building right next door, so that was nice. The only thing that I didn't care for was the view from a room on the north side of the building - it looks directly across at another building. If possible, request a room on the south side and you'll be all set!

Room Tip: Request a room on the south side of the building for a decent view. Rooms on the north side stare s...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is a boutique hotel, relatively new (I think it opened the second half of 2012). Staff was very helpful and worked hard at making you feel welcome. Our training was over at 4p and I was allowed a late checkout at 1p without hassle. The hotel is nicely decorated; the room was spacious, clean with a comfortable mattress and pillows. Between 5p and 7p, guests congregate in the lobby for a glass of wine and some nice flatbread. The pool area is another excellent area to enjoy. There are several restaurants around it and the light rail is one block away. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The staff went above and beyond.
The bartenders Micheal and Robert (brothers) were wonderful the whole time I was there. The house specialty drinks yum! There was even a few off menu drinks (I asked for something special) that delighted me!
One of my friends asked the front desk for extra water and they brought her a frige full!
The bellman Charlie is a delight.
Every stall member was very friendly and accomidating.
It was a pleasure staying here!

Room Tip: Join the Kimptons rewards program for free Internet during your stay
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 10, 2013

First time in a Kimpton property and it was relaxing to say the least. Only spent a brief time there but our waitress, Laya, was very informative and the bellman (?) Rob was Johnny-on-the-spot with our bags and a cab, and a Lumberjack! Our plane was over 2 hours late so we got in after midnight, but slept well in the comfy, long bed, ate a very nice breakfast, and departed for Flagstaff. Will definitely stay in a Kimpton again.

Stayed: May 2013