“Great stay in Phoenix”

GreenLeadersSilver level
SE, AZ
“Great stay in Phoenix”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is high on the list for quality, comfort, and dependability. I usually stay at a different hotel down the road, but it was full and this was selected by the corporate office. The check-in process was great with a coupon for $10 free in the room mini-fridge because I am a Kimpton member. I desired a coffee maker once I got settled in and the front desk had one in the room within minutes. They offer a wine happy hour at 5 and a coffee bar in the morning. The room was comfortable and spotlessly clean. I told the corporate office to make future reservations for me at this hotel. It is conveniently in the capital area and along the rail line for the Metro.

Room Tip: I was in an interior room on the 7th floor and it was perfect.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
jimpalomar1, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I'm so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. Isn't wine hour in the living room the best....so relaxing and we feature great wines from around the world each month. Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.....
Jim Hollister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a business trip and was not expecting much - got pleasently surprised! The staff was very friendly, helpful and always smiling. They were going the extra mile and offered extra service at no extra cost.
The room was nicely and modern decorated with two king size beds and a very nice bathroom. Loved their lotion, shower gel and shampoo as well. It smelled really nice.
The design was really nice.
The restaurant in the hotel is very nice as well. We had breakfast there on one of the days and it was really good and service was pretty fast and very friendly.
The hotel bar is great as well. Loved the design and the drinks came promptly.
All in all I would recommend this hotel and stay there again.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are small but clean and modern (nothing grand or super cool, but acceptable). Great bathroom especially for the small size of the room. Bed was comfortable. The best thing about the hotel was the restaurant, which was quite good for a Phoenix hotel restaurant. I had a nice meal of several starters and a couple glasses of wine for $60 which isn't badly priced.

One caveat: extreme party noise coming up from the street on a Friday night. I slept through it but you may not.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington, New Jersey
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed 4 nights on business, was there from 2/9-2/13/13, and had a thoroughly enjoyable and most satisfying stay at the Hotel Palomar in Phoenix! The Staff were superb, very personable, helpful, and always smiling! Kimpton must be a great company to work for, as it shows in their employees! The hotel itself is very chic, modern, artsy, and has a lot of beautiful details in its design...very high end but not over the top nor stuffy, and also very comfortable and inviting! My room was fantastic...I had a studio King suite that has a very large and deep soaking tub, in addition to a shower that is separate (both the tub and shower are within one large glassed in area, but shower head is separate from tub). There were some bath salts, and a nice loofah scrubby, and I enjoyed soaking in that tub every night I was there. The temperature of the bath was perfect too, as some hotels the water doesn't get hot enough. Shower nice too. My bed was extremely comfortable and I slept the best there than I've slept at home for months. Also, there was a nice desk in my room, as well as a very nice size sofa in the room. My only complaint about the room is that I wished there had been a dresser of drawers to keep some of my non-hanging clothes in. I saw a few spaces in the room where a custom dresser could fit, as I had to put my undergarments, casual clothing on the top shelf in the wardrobe that I could barely reach nor see up there (the Safe is up there too). The size of the wardrobe is nice and I was able to hang my business clothes with plenty of extra space, but wished there were drawers/dresser too. Temperature control in room was perfect and the room had great lighting, as well as a large window with blackout drapes. TV worked well too, though a little slow to respond sometimes when changing channel or adjusting volume. Food was amazing as well. I had Room Service two nights for dinner, from the hotel's Blue Hound restaurant...delicious, very good quality, served beautifully, and very enjoyable meals! I also had breakfast in the Blue Hound on my last day at the hotel, and that was delicious and enjoyable as well. For the other days/nights, I ate elsewhere in Phoenix. Finally, I just want to say that since my stay was close to my birthday, Richard, from Guest Services surprised me by having chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of Champagne brought up to my room for me. This was a very nice surprise and generous treat! Thank you! I've stayed at a Kimpton before and it will always be my #1 place to stay as long as they are where I travel...the little details, personable, pleasant staff who always make you feel like you are the only guest there and are ready to do whatever you request, the extreme comfort and quality of the hotel and room, including the wonderful hotel soaps/shampoos/etc., the complimentary wine hour every night...I can go on and on!

A truly marvelous stay and hotel...

Room Tip: I was on the 10th Floor, the highest, and while there was some construction noise during the day on...
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We just spent two weekend nights at the Hotel Palomar Phoenix and it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The staff were pleasant and helpful, and the room was very attractive, large and comfortable. We had the opportunity to upgrade to a suite for a slight extra fee (I am a Kimpton InTouch Member, which is free and has good benefits.) The bathroom in the suite is impressive. We were tired when we arrived the first evening so ordered room service dinner. Service was prompt and the person who delivered our order was efficient and friendly. The food was very good. Since the hotel is downtown, it is very near to sports and entertainment venues and some really good restaurants. Our only regret is that we had to attend a conference outside the hotel and so did not have enough time to lounge around and enjoy our great room. This is a terrific hotel and we will return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was apprehensive about 10 days in Phoenix in August. But work is work and work took me to Cityscape. I was depressed by the prospect of tired old business hotels like the Hyatt and Sheraton and then I learned that the Palomar had recently opened. This review is long overdue and the entire stay exceeded expectations in every way.
The hotel is clean, modern and comfortable, however I must say that the built-in sofa in my suite was not the most comfortable piece of furniture. Looks like an interior designer decided to be clever and specify a built-in but missed the mark in execution. Otherwise the room was extremely pleasant and the bath and shower outrageously luxurious. Turndown and ice service was a pleasure. Service throughout the hotel was sincere. The only drawback is the hotel's restaurant and bar, which are very popular with locals, making them noisy and a "scene." But in 10 days on business, you really want in-room dining anyway. Concierge and front desk staff bent over backward to be helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I will kvetch al little about the Palomar, but in the end I have to give it 5 stars.

First, there are many great attributes to the Hotel Palomar. The hotel and all its facilities are new. The meeting rooms were effective. The service at the front desk was exceptional. The check in was personalized and very quick. The checkout was quick and I was provided a taxi to get me back to the airport. There are complementary WSJ and NYT papers. And the view to the Southeast (looking at the Basketball arena and baseball field) was great. The hidden pleasure was that while the hotel had no gym, you had free access to a world-class Gold’s Gym across the courtyard. That gym opens at 4 am (perfect for the person still on east coast time) and has the best of every type of equipment.

A little kvetching. A developer is building a dozen floors above the hotel. There is little impact other than a bit of noise, the sight of the cranes and the construction crews above the building, and the scaffolding protecting the sidewalks and the entrance. Another item was that coffee is provided in the lobby, and not in your room.

Room Tip: Join the Intouch club to get free wifi, and while there is construction ask for a room below the top...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business