WINNER WONDERLAND

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix
Ranked #9 of 177 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montana
“PHX Hotel Palomar a Real Gem!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Attended a Board meeting at the Hotel Palomar in PHX - Love Kimpton properties and this one is GREAT - Location is perfect for downtown activities and sporting events! My December meeting allowed for watching ice skating outside (yes in PHX) while having cocktails by the gorgeous outdoor pool. The service was everything I've always received from Kimpton Hotels - Nothing missed ~ and of course I love thier wine hour! A wonderful old vine Zin was served in the 2nd floor lobby area which helped re-energize our group for the evening. Move to Food - Our group ate at the property for several meals/group meetings. I don't know how they did it but the food was always served to perfection - excellent! I can't wait to return with my little doggie Roxy - Bonus Bonus - As all Kimpton properties, the Hotel Palomar is pet friendly.

Room Tip: As any hotel - Non Street side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kirkland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I like to be taken care of....this hotel is on par with the many Ritz properties we have frequented. The moment we arrived we were greeted with smiles and thanks. The staff are simply amazing....they addressed us by name as we came and went throughout our stay. They continually asked if there was anything they could do to make our stay more enjoyable. The room was very comfortable with the latest conveniences. The hotel is centrally located to all the arenas and theatres in the downtow core. Each afternoon they have a wine reception (with the proper stemware). We were so impressed with the service and care they took with our Phoenix stay that we booked another visit at one of their sister properties on the west coast for a January adventure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jimpalomar1, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of Palomar Phoenix. I'm so pleased to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us and my wonderful team provided an excellent experience. That is what we work so hard to do...create something memorable!!
I'm sure you will have the same experience at our sister property. Come back and visit us again soon. We appreciate your business.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

My friend and I flew in from Texas for a recent concert at Comerica Theater. We could not have been more pleased with our stay at the Hotel Palomar, and its perfect location to the concert venue, just a few minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel staff was attentive, friendly, courteous, and helpful - everyone from the check in person at the front desk, to the happy hour guy, and bellhop. We felt pampered from the minute we checked in to the time we checked out. The room was spotless, and nothing was overlooked. We had dinner at the Blue Hound, then stopped back for desserts after the concert. The food was terrific, although the service a bit uneven. Being able to walk across the courtyard to the Gold's Gym for a workout the next morning was a fabulous bonus. We absolutely loved our stay here, and it really made our trip one we will never forget. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Perrysburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed here for one night on a business trip and this is a great hotel. The rooms are immaculate and the bar is lively. Hint: check out the third floor pool/cabana bar. This hotel is right next to the US Airways Arena and also close to the baseball field. The Wi-fi is free if you join the Kimpton club (which is free) and I suggest doing that before checking in. The Wi-Fi was quick. Everyone was really hustling at this place and the service was excellent. This is a perfect hotel for either business or a couples stay. It looked a little boring for the kids, but I really didn't see any and I think it markets to more upscale clientel.

Room Tip: I stayed in 408 which is a corner suite. Seperate bedroom and living room. The bathroom was incred...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
san francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed in a suite for two nights and wanted to love this place but we just couldn't. I was between two and three stars but the fact that I just couldn't get a good rest pushed me to a two star review. Let's start with what they did right:

The staff was great -- friendly, helpful, and a just happy to be here attitude.
The room was clean (not immaculate) and spacious.
The hotel has a young, fun, modern vibe -- a neutral for us but probably a positive for many.
Free wi-fi (if you sign up online (no charge) for their program).
Free valet parking (with AAA membership)

Now what went wrong:

The VOC's and stale air could not be remedied given that there were no operable windows. The smell of new carpet made us cringe and gave us headaches. Even my husband complained about it and that's saying something. They offered a humidifier but I was skeptical about how effective that would have been as the air wasn't dry, it just smelled awful and was very stale.

The sofas in the suite sitting area are not the pull-out variety, so we needed a roll-away-bed. Not only did this take up much of the sitting room space, the mattress was covered with a plastic tarp like material which was only then covered with a thin sheet. It was like sleeping on a potato chip bag. I could hear the crinkling from the other room (with the door closed) every time my child moved during the night.

Due to the smell/stale air and the roll-a-way, we dreaded spending what little time we did in the room. As such,we will be trying the Westin or the Biltmore for our next visit to Phoenix. If we had planned to stay longer than the two nights, I would have moved hotels in the middle of the trip -- it was that bad. Sorry Palomar!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank worldtraveler_1037
Parsippany, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I recently stayed for two nights for a conference that the convention center, which was only 2 short blocks away. The entire staff was excellent and very friendly. My room was spotless and large, and the restaurant had a quite creative menu. There is little more to say other than my stay was perfect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jimpalomar1, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your recent stay with us. I'm so please that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to create a wonderful, one of a kind experience for all of our guest. I'm so glad that you felt that we delivered that to you during your time with us... Come back and visit us again soon. We appreciate your business very much

Palomar Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Let me start off by saying that Kimpton has become our favorite choice for hotel stays. However, the Hotel Palomar has a long way to go in order to live up to the Kimpton name. The facility itself is nice but there is still ongoing construction which adds another level of noise to the city and is a bit of an eyesore. The design of the shower is also strange because there is only half of a door, so be prepared for a bit of a draft. I guess design does not always equal comfort. The floor also has a tendency to get a little wet. I am not sure how this got passed the legal department? In today's world, it only takes one person to slip and fall and they will be looking to cash in due to bad shower design. Service was also hit and miss. Bell / doorman was good, check in was below average, pool service was below average, check out was good, room service was great, our wine hostess was below average on the first night but our wine host on the second night was exceptional. We were also in for a bit of a surprise during our first hosted wine reception. A homeless man came in off the street, took a seat by the fireplace and took off his shoes and no one asked him to leave? Lastly, I would like to point out that every other Kimpton hotel we have stayed has gone above and beyond to recognize any special occasion that you may have (a bottle of wine, cupcakes, a card, congratulations, etc). This is a level of service that I have found to be unique to Kimpton and sets them apart from all others. Unfortunately, the hotel Palomar Phoenix failed to recognize our special occasion and therefore did not live up to the Kimpton standard.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GreatTraveltime
jimfiresky, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you so much for your review and comments about your experience at Hotel Palomar Phoenix. Let me first apologize for the less that satisfactory stay with us. As evidenced by the wonderful comments we receive on Trip Advisor this is certainly not the norm for us but we obviously let you down and for that I'm very sorry. You can be assured I will personally look into why we appeared to be off our usual stellar service performance.
I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally about your experience in hopes of having you back here again to regain your confidence in our services.

I hope to hear back from you

Hotel Palomar Phoenix