“Cholla trial Fun Hike for kids & adults easy parking”
Review of Camelback Mountain

and up
Half-Day Phoenix Highlights Tour
Ranked #9 of 238 things to do in Phoenix
Reviewed January 14, 2013

fun hike up the mountain not too strenueous great views park on Invergordon Road and walk to entrance halfway up Cholla Lane about 3.5 miles roundtrip last part is really hard, but you can stop at the golf course view and go back down took about 90 mins. Bring water, no facilities. Lots of fun

Write a ReviewReviews (2,122)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"paradise valley"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I did this hike with our nine year old daughter. She loves to hike but we live in Louisiana where our highest point is 82' above sea level and it's man made! My daughter requested hiking for our family vacation and not on cement or easy trails, she wanted to climb. So this was our first day, it was definitely a climb! We went all the way to the top, 2700' above sea level, 1.2 miles one way. It was strenuous at points but we all enjoyed it, brought lots of water and snacks for the top. The views are awesome and it's a great experience, great exercise too. I wished I hadn't gotten up early that morning to work out. There were ppl of all ages and sizes on the mountain. We felt like we had accomplished something when we were done and got beautiful pics. My only complaint was the parking- there's very little and we had to pay for a shuttle, which wasn't much, just prolonged our getting to the good part. We went on Christmas eve so it was crowded, that didn't help but it was worth it!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We love this hike. It is quite hard/strenuous at times but the views from the top are quite rewarding! There are some parts that are quite challenging and you are literally pulling yourself up by a rail or climbing up from boulder to boulder. We paced ourselves and made it to the top though. I think most anyone could make it to the top if they love a good challenge and pace themselves/take breaks. I assure you that being on top is well worth it and you almost instantly forget about all the pain you felt going up! Going down was very easy but I would advised going slowly down and paying close attention to your footing. I saw many people slipping and falling because they were trying to go down too fast.
Parking is the only issue with this hike... it is quite stressful actually. After not having any luck in the tiny parking lot we decided to try the shuttle that is now offered. It is $5/per person and actually very convenient. You park(abt 2 miles away from the mountain), they drop you off and then you call when you are ready to be picked up. They came to pick us up within minutes and took us back to our car. We will be doing this again next time and avoid the crazy parking lot all together!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is the most demanding hike I ever had. I have done many hikes in numerous national parks. Never thought this hike could be more difficult than others. The good news is... it takes only about 2 hours to reach the top.

Be sure to use the rail where you see it. There is a section where the climb is very steep and slippery. Do not try what I did in the picture. I regret I did it. I stuck there for half a minute. And that was the longest half minute I ever had.

Well, don't let me scare you. The view was gorgeous along the way and at the top. It is worth it. Do pay attention to trail signs and double check. Because there are places where you can not easily tell a path from all the rocks around you.

People with weak knees should not try this hike.

1  Thank SunriseRacine