“Great Hike in the Center of Phoenix”
Review of Camelback Mountain

and up
Half-Day Phoenix Highlights Tour
Ranked #8 of 238 things to do in Phoenix
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have gone up Camelback mountain twice while I have lived in Phoenix. Both times it was very clear and I could see quite a ways. Both times I did hike in the wintertime - I recommend not hiking it in the summertime during the afternoons as it is very hot and no shade is available. It is not uncommon to see the Phoenix rescue getting people off of the mountain during the summertime once a week or more.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,107)
All reviews
"paradise valley"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Hey guys,

I live in scottsdale and climb this mountain just about every other day. If you have never done it before, I truly recommend climbing it even if you aren't much of a hiker. The view is awesome at the top. If you are looking for a good workout though, this is definitely the hike for you too. I use camelback as a workout and in this area it has kind of become known for being a competetive hike. I see "regulars" all the time and we try to race and push each other to go faster. Its a great experience. Do it!

2  Thank likenoother31
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Sure, you will see the young jocks, by the hundreds, sailing up and down this mountain. Completing this hike in record breaking time is the popular pastime for the local buff club. Beware if you are a tourist from sea level or below, hike in midday (107 degrees) sun, regrettably carry less than one gallon of water (but you need both hands free) decide to skip breakfast, or are among the unfortunate slogs who are required to sit in an ergo chair for 15 hour per day staring at code. Rest assured, they do medi-vac folks out on a semi-regular basis. Am I defensive because I could not make it to the top -- probably.
but I will return someday, in better shape, and claim Camelback as my own. BTW, my husband did make it to the top, but he plays basketball 4 times a week -- but I'm not sour grapes

2  Thank dee_schur
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Enjoyable hike and beautiful scenery! Early on there are hand rails to help through the steep areas.