“Very good fish and chips”
Review of The Codfather

The Codfather
Ranked #829 of 3,102 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Neighborhood: Camelback East
durham, NC
“Very good fish and chips”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

As an Brit by birth, I am a lover of fish and chips. This place does an excellent job, best I've had in the USA. The fish is very fresh and the batter nice and crispy. Typical UK chips, ie a little soggy by US standards, but tasty. The key here is to just order fish and chips, with either cod or haddock. The rest of the menu is unexciting. If you like real English fish and chips, this is the place ( or should that be plaice!).

• Visited October 2012

Phoenix, Arizona
“If this is UK food I'll stay home”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I feel bad because I like to support small businesses and the owner is very nice. I took my wife to try something new. She was craving fish and chips. I looked it up and we went. The portions are huge, however, everything tasted bad. Even the french fries tasted weird. I thought they were rancid at first. I asked about it and they said they use palm oil to fry everything. I was told that the fries are fresh, but I was also told that they have out sourced them and no longer make them fresh in the restaurant. They told me that they are cut and fried by the provider company, then they fry them again when you order them. That explains a lot. The fish is a good quality but it is very soggy and the batter just falls off because of all the oil. I noticed a pile of fish on my wife's plate.I asked her why she was not eating her fish and she said that it was all batter which was now swimming in a pool of oil. My wife actually said that she thought the food was authentic. She has been to the UK several times. I told her that I am no longer interested in eating in England or at this place again. I had some coleslaw and it was very dry and seemed like it had no dressing on it. They have a small bar area with what appears to be a good selection of beers. They also have a small area where they sell UK foods and honestly I would be worried about how long it has been sitting on their shelves.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank 2sbs
“SOGGY-OILY-TASTELESS”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I hate to slam a place of business but i saw there sign and it read best fish and chips- stopped in got a to go order- fish and chips- had a beer cold and wet nothing wrong with that served quickly-
got my food 5 minutes back to the house with my white Styrofoam container- got another cold beer and sat for the best fish chips- opened the box to see limp breading falling off the fish in a pool of grease- yukkk-chips are what they are not fires just chips of potatoes- i spoke with a guy a work who lives close and is Irish ( been here 2 years) he has also eaten there once just like i have but never again

SO SORRY CODFATHER

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank tomneely1
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fish and chips 'to go' turned soggy”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I've been to The Codfather one time and placed an order to go. The service and atmosphere were both very good and my order was correct and made fresh, the challenge was during the 15 minute drive back to my home my order of fish and chips turned into a soggy mess! It was near impossible to pick up a piece of fish without it falling apart from its own weight. It was heavy on the stomach to eat, for me it was a little too greasy for my preferences and rather plain in flavor. Fries are also soft-cooked, I prefer mine crisp. For what I like I doubt I will return, others found they liked this place very much so I say give it a go and see what you think.

• Visited February 2012
Orange County, California
“reminds me of London...”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

20 years ago...minus the paper wrapping!
A wonderful lunch surprise of Cod n Chips- good thing I forgot I had cash. I would have bought the homemade crisps (potato chips) too!
Their menu has it all- pasties and sausage rolls...mushy peas and traditional English Breakfast.
I may have to go the next 4 Fridays to sample my faves!

Don't miss the great selection of beers! I was so bummin' that it was lunch. I wanted a Murphy's so badly. Think Guinness but sweeter..

They deserve to be forever busy- try them out. Malt vinegar is a given!

CHEERS!