“Inexpensive room with good shuttle service to airport”

Econo Lodge Airport
Ranked #82 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Sedona, AZ
“Inexpensive room with good shuttle service to airport”
Reviewed January 22, 2011

This is a bare bones room, staff were pleasant, room clean. I don't eat continental breakfast, so I bought some fruit and yogurt at a nearby grocery. I stashed it in my ice bucket. Beware there was no hair dryer. It doesn't look like the best area, but I left my car there for seven nights with no problem. The shuttle leaves every hour from the hotel, and when I called their number from the airport they were there within ten minutes. Just remember what the shuttle looks like because it does not say Econolodge. I kept looking for Econolodge! The driver was kind enough to come looking for me. Overall good value and a safe place to stash my vehicle for the week, for just a few bucks more than long term parking. Plus I believe they told me I could leave my car for 21 days, with no additional charge.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank BakeR G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I don't know if it's fair to disparage a hotel that's $40.00 a night, but even at cheap prices, one has a right to expect some level of decent accomodations. The rooms were fairly large, but depressingly drab. They reeked of smoke, and the curtains were worn. The "security" of the door (an electronic key) was utterly useless as it seemed to be as easy as cake for someone who knows what they're doing to gain access to your room. The "linens" were a joke. Is it too much to ask to get washclothes that don't have holes in them? And the sheets looked like they had been in use since the 80's. There were hairs on my pillowcase, and burnmarks on the bedspread. I actually never got under the covers either night, and slept in my clothes. Two of the TV channels (cable) had no sound at all. The area is depressing, with only a Jack N' The Box and a seafood place available for those brave enough to walk around the corner. I booked a stay there to attend a Cardinals game, so I knew going in it wouldn't be great. I just thought someone might care enough to provide the basics to anyone desperate enough to stay there. I will say that the front office attendant was extremely nice and helpful, and answered all of my questions with a smile. And there was a coffee maker in my room along with a hairdryer. Neither of which I used. Otherwise nearly any other motel in that area would probably be a nicer stay. (Or maybe not. LOL!)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank adg87

Travelers are raving about these Phoenix hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I agree with the other recent reviewers, this is a perfectly clean and tidy airport-area accomodation for an overnight stay. Room was small but clean, did not have a coffee pot or hair dryer though hair dryers may be available at the check-in desk. Not at all noisy and we were able to sleep. Room had been recently renovated and was just about what you'd expect from an Econo-lodge, nothing impressive just functional. Tiny swimming pool just right for kids did not seem to have been used much as the motel is basically a sleepover spot for airport travelers.
The area was a very drab strip of warehouses, parking lots and auto-body shops, nothing at all of interest within walking distance and no bus or local transportation. A local pizza shop delivers until midnight but there are no food options or convenience stores in the area.
Continental breakfast was coffee, orange juice, apples, and toasted bagels with cream cheese. Nice that they start the breakfast at 4am for travelers with an early a.m flight.

This hotel uses FastTrack airport parking shuttle which frequents the airport. Return shuttles in the morning go to the airport every hour on the hour only , and I timed the ride at 7 minutes. Security and check-in at Phoenix airport is quite slow. We took the 8am shuttle for our 10am flight and had more than an hour to waste, but taking the shuttle just 60 minutes before our flight could have been a little hairy.
I would not recommend to females traveling alone , motel seemed safe but it is quite large, about 100 rooms, with only one employee working all night long. No real security in the area and after check-in you must walk outdoors for a few hundred feet to your room. Outdoor corridors. Doors are double-locked and key carded but big sliding-glass windows are always scary if you're in the shower alone etc.
This motel was fine for what I needed as I had 8 hours to kill between flights, but it is no-frills. Definitely worth the price paid but with some cautions. Think "Motel 6" with upgrades.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank joesorce
Helena, Alabama
Reviewed May 30, 2010

We stayed here recently due to a family emergency. The location near the airport is not in one of the better neighborhoods in Phoenix, however, once we drove onto the property, we felt very safe and comfortable. There is a fence around the property, with a single entrance to drive through. The staff was great, and there is a computer with Internet access in the lobby. There is easy access to the Interstate also--just get your bearings before dark. They have a park and fly program, and although we didn't use it, I would have felt comfortable leaving my car there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank economom
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 20, 2010

As I drove up to the Econo Lodge, I was a little jittery - the area did not look like the safest area, and I was a solo female traveler. I was glad I got there during daylight hours.

The hotel itself was okay. The room was huge and generally decent. There were a few spots of something sticky on the toilet seat, despite the "Sanitized for Your Protection" wrapper; it wasn't a huge deal to wash it off myself so I did and let management know about it when I checked out.

The website for the hotel is misleading as it states that there are "coffee makers in room." There aren't. There aren't blowdryers in the room either. I was in too much of a hurry in the morning, when I discovered this, to call to the front desk, but did mention it at checkout, when I was told that the coffeemakers had been removed from the rooms, and that blowdryers were available at the front desk. Would have been nice to have been tld that when I checked in!

Despite being close to the airport and in a questionable looking area, the room was fairly quiet and I was able to get a good night's sleep before the very short (5-7 min) drive to the airport in the morning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank pkitty
Strongsville, Ohio
Reviewed April 7, 2010

I have stayed here on two occasions, in March 2009 and March 2010, when I have gone to Phoenix for Cleveland Indians Spring Training games. The rooms are average-sized, with comfortable beds, there is a free shuttle to and from the airport, and it is only about ten minutes from the rental car facilities. It also offers a free continental breakfast. Management is very friendly and helpful. Less than a ten-minute drive to downtown and less than five to I-10. I will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank maestrolms
Fishing lake, Saskatchewan
Reviewed March 10, 2010

We cannot say enough about this place. We only stayed one night (our flight left in the a.m.) and were delighted with the clean room and friendly service. We had a nice breakfast before we were shuttled to the airport. (left our vehicle there for 10 days.) On our return we called the motel and within 10 minutes the shuttle was there to pick us up and bring us directly to our vehicle. We actually stopped in to thank them for such a wonderful stay and easy access to and from the airport. This place is definately on our plans for next year. The price is very right!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple