“Bloody Mattress Awful Customer Service”

Econo Lodge Airport
Ranked #84 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I'm a young single woman often traveling alone on business. One night I missed a flight and needed somewhere to lay my head for a few hours. The reviews online were relatively positive so I took a gamble and reserved a room with Expedia- who billed my card. Then I arrived at the hotel and the late night clerk was adamant that they had not received payment - she billed my card an additional time. I got the key and stepped outside where I saw an SUV with some shady looking young men who slammed on their brakes when they saw me and were clearly waiting to see what door I walked up to (Strike 1). When I got to the room I noticed the window was open so I tried to close and lock it when I realized the window, which had open access from the parking lot, did not lock (Strike 2). I always inspect my rooms for bed bugs etc. Even if I stay at a 5 star hotel, I have made it a habit to check the mattresses every time and what I found in my room at the Econo Lodge was the scariest thing I've ever seen. I pulled the blanket back and found splashes of blood stained all over the mattress near the headboard. I could even see it on the wall and in crevices of the bed frame. It was clear something really BAD happened in that room (Strike 3!) and there was no way I could sleep there. I was in the room maybe 5 minutes before I went back downstairs and requested a refund. The woman at the front desk had a thick Spanish accent and not a care in the world. She kept telling me there was nothing she could do. She said that she would pass my information along to the manager for a potential refund, needless to say no one contacted me. A week later I checked my credit card statement and I had been double charged; once by Expedia, and again by the Econo Lodge, for a hotel stay that NEVER HAPPENED. To this day, the Econo Lodge staff has been rude and hung up on me whenever I try to contact them about a refund. It is not fair to treat people this way and I am reaching out to every consumer protection agency I can to ensure this doesn't happen to someone else.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank TammiRaeBaker
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Airport

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at Econo Lodge Airport when we arrived in Phoenix stay on one night and we have car rental drive to Sedona stay there for a week then drove back to stay over night at Econo Lodge to catch flight back to Washington D.C.
We happy with services such as free transportation to /from airport to hotel., free breakfast included in room fee, and clean /spacious room , comfortable bed , Check in-out quick no problem. Only one tiny thing that need to improve is pillow (no support at all /flat).
Other than that we will go back to stay again at Econo Lodge Airport.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Very basic motel, but then it was only £30 a night. Me and my brother stayed overnight before driving up to Williams, AZ, and again on our way back down to Sky Harbour. The front desk was very helpful, and the room was spacious and reasonably clean. The free breakfast was just packaged goods and coffee, but one again the low price is an indicator of the quality of this place.

Both times we stayed we got a good nights rest, some say the area is sketchy but it seemed fine, although one wouldn't walk outside of the motel area for lack of anything interesting to see locally.

Would stay again as long as the price stays the same.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Prices were ok. Service at the front desk was good. Room was dated but seemed clean until we saw brown spots all around the toilet on the wall. Yikes! Bed was rock hard. Breakfast was all packaged foods. I guess it's what you pay for. If we could have booked somewhere else we would have but we needed a hotel quickly and they had rooms.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

When most of the hotels in town were sold out, I had to look at lesser alternatives. After reading the reviews, I decided to take a chance on the Econo Lodge-and I'm glad I did.

You can't beat a free airport shuttle, and the front desk was totally accommodating during my visit. The room was sparse (no place to hang clothes, no iron or board), but clean, the bed was comfortable and it was quiet. Sure, it's not the best part of town, but the price is appropriate for that and it's only a 3 mile cab ride to downtown (could walk to the light rail station if it were closer-or not so stinkin' hot). The free breakfast was pretty sparse, but adequate. They could have provided bananas instead of apples, some cold cereal options and some low-fat yogurt. The only glitch was room service didn't replace the toilet tissue after my first night.

For the courtesy I experienced, the accommodations I was assigned, for the money I paid, I give the Econo Lodge a solid rating for value.

Room Tip: Second floor facing the airport was just fine.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Very noisy from planes, trains, cars and people. Rather run down. Staff unhelpful. Breakfast inedible. Checked out a day early. Not a good part of town, but convenient to airport. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Although this was a rather decent place for an overnighter, I don't think I would stay here again. It was clean and what more do you need for 9 hours? Well, would have been nice if they could have at least spelled your name right since I reserved it online. Then knowing that there would be 4 of us, they provided only 2 towels, no hair dryer. This is in a commercial part of town and I want to kick myself for forgetting that this is not a good district to stay in.
The orange juice was bad, the pastries were packaged and not good at all. The bagels were decent with butter and cream cheese and jelly. Sorry, but I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: It is decent just didnt like the neighborhood.