“An ok spot with a couple of hitches”

Econo Lodge Airport
Ranked #87 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed here on an overnight connection to Mexico arriving late and leaving early. The room was fine, clean, bed quite firm and location good only a couple of miles from the airport. Two hitches... 1) the shuttle from the airport is shared with a nearby parking lot so the trip over took 2 to 3 times longer than if direct, and 2) the low price quote you see on the web when making your reservation is for a SMOKING room and you must pay $15 more to upgrade to a non-smoking room.

Room Tip: Pay attention to the room assignment.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mlfricke52

Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stayed at this hotel after flying in late to Phoenix and were collecting our rental car the next day. It was ideal. Close to the airport, free shuttle service to and from the airport. Clean, big rooms, free breakfast, free internet and printing service. Very quiet hotel. Nice friendly staff.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank graingern
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Helpful staff, clean basic room, close to the airport, good shuttle service.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MinneapolisMaude
Reviewed February 27, 2011

It is difficult to find hotels with airport shuttle service, that are reasonably priced. The Econolodge fit the bill. The rooms are clean and comfortable. For under $80, it was the best value we found. If you don't need a shuttle, there are other cheaper options. But we needed a ride to the airport. The only thing I noticed that might be a negative for some people is that there are no refridgerator or microwave in the room. There is a nice swimming pool, and average continental breakfast. There is no where to eat within walking distance. You can take the #3 bus Westbound, and there are some restaurants downtown (about 20 minutes), or there is a Jack in the box (about 5-10 minutes). You can also order out pizza.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank OregonCountry
Reviewed January 22, 2011

This is a bare bones room, staff were pleasant, room clean. I don't eat continental breakfast, so I bought some fruit and yogurt at a nearby grocery. I stashed it in my ice bucket. Beware there was no hair dryer. It doesn't look like the best area, but I left my car there for seven nights with no problem. The shuttle leaves every hour from the hotel, and when I called their number from the airport they were there within ten minutes. Just remember what the shuttle looks like because it does not say Econolodge. I kept looking for Econolodge! The driver was kind enough to come looking for me. Overall good value and a safe place to stash my vehicle for the week, for just a few bucks more than long term parking. Plus I believe they told me I could leave my car for 21 days, with no additional charge.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank BakeR G
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I don't know if it's fair to disparage a hotel that's $40.00 a night, but even at cheap prices, one has a right to expect some level of decent accomodations. The rooms were fairly large, but depressingly drab. They reeked of smoke, and the curtains were worn. The "security" of the door (an electronic key) was utterly useless as it seemed to be as easy as cake for someone who knows what they're doing to gain access to your room. The "linens" were a joke. Is it too much to ask to get washclothes that don't have holes in them? And the sheets looked like they had been in use since the 80's. There were hairs on my pillowcase, and burnmarks on the bedspread. I actually never got under the covers either night, and slept in my clothes. Two of the TV channels (cable) had no sound at all. The area is depressing, with only a Jack N' The Box and a seafood place available for those brave enough to walk around the corner. I booked a stay there to attend a Cardinals game, so I knew going in it wouldn't be great. I just thought someone might care enough to provide the basics to anyone desperate enough to stay there. I will say that the front office attendant was extremely nice and helpful, and answered all of my questions with a smile. And there was a coffee maker in my room along with a hairdryer. Neither of which I used. Otherwise nearly any other motel in that area would probably be a nicer stay. (Or maybe not. LOL!)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank adg87
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I agree with the other recent reviewers, this is a perfectly clean and tidy airport-area accomodation for an overnight stay. Room was small but clean, did not have a coffee pot or hair dryer though hair dryers may be available at the check-in desk. Not at all noisy and we were able to sleep. Room had been recently renovated and was just about what you'd expect from an Econo-lodge, nothing impressive just functional. Tiny swimming pool just right for kids did not seem to have been used much as the motel is basically a sleepover spot for airport travelers.
The area was a very drab strip of warehouses, parking lots and auto-body shops, nothing at all of interest within walking distance and no bus or local transportation. A local pizza shop delivers until midnight but there are no food options or convenience stores in the area.
Continental breakfast was coffee, orange juice, apples, and toasted bagels with cream cheese. Nice that they start the breakfast at 4am for travelers with an early a.m flight.

This hotel uses FastTrack airport parking shuttle which frequents the airport. Return shuttles in the morning go to the airport every hour on the hour only , and I timed the ride at 7 minutes. Security and check-in at Phoenix airport is quite slow. We took the 8am shuttle for our 10am flight and had more than an hour to waste, but taking the shuttle just 60 minutes before our flight could have been a little hairy.
I would not recommend to females traveling alone , motel seemed safe but it is quite large, about 100 rooms, with only one employee working all night long. No real security in the area and after check-in you must walk outdoors for a few hundred feet to your room. Outdoor corridors. Doors are double-locked and key carded but big sliding-glass windows are always scary if you're in the shower alone etc.
This motel was fine for what I needed as I had 8 hours to kill between flights, but it is no-frills. Definitely worth the price paid but with some cautions. Think "Motel 6" with upgrades.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo