“Typical TownPlace Suites Hotel”

TownePlace Suites Phoenix North
Ranked #56 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Albany
“Typical TownPlace Suites Hotel”
Reviewed April 25, 2008

I've stayed at several TownPlace suites and this one was just the tiniest bit disappointing. I had a studio suite with a queen bed and fold out couch. Like all TownPlace suites it has a complete kitchen with dishes, pans, utensils, linens etc. Great for families.

We arrived very late at night (early morning) and the front door was locked. There was a mother and two children in the "lobby" (in their PJs) who indicated to me that I should pick up the phone by the door and someone would pick up. Someone did and soon came from the other building (there are two), let me in and handled the check in process quickly.

It took a little hunting to find the elevator. It is in an alcove off of the breakfast room.

Our first "problem" was that the sofabed had no linens on it. I found them in the closet, but the last thing I wanted to do at 4:30 am my time was make a bed from scratch with two flat sheets. Hospital corners at that hours just aren't fun.

The second "problem" was that the fitted sheets on the queen bed quickly came off of the corners on both sides of the bed. It was a bit anoying to sleep all tangled up in sheets. The thermostat was set at 64, but I didn't notice right away. I had to get out of bed and crank it up a bit to turn off the A/C because it was just too cold.

Breakfast was good. There were waffles, bisquits and gravy, cereal, yogurt, breads, fruit, juice and decent coffee.

One thing I try to remember is that the hotel is meant for long term stays so it doesn't have a lot of services. It is supposed to be more like home and less like a hotel.

I did use the computer in the entry area because I needed a printer to print out tickets I bought on-line. There was no charge for that.

The staff also let me have a later check out because we were waiting for the airline to deliver delayed luggage -which we ended up driving to the airport to get anyway. Generally as as Sliver Elite Marriott rewards memeber late check out is 2:00 but they wanted us out at 1:00.

I used rewards points for my stay. It is a category 3 - 10,000 points.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank triptraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
Storage Space 4309
Reviewed April 28, 2007

I stayed here for about 4 weeks for work and I was pretty impressed. Since I stay in extended stay types hotel this one hit the spot! Normally rates are about $131 but because I booked thru an online service it was only $96. However, the real highlight seeing how eating out can get expensive, is that the hotel had an oven! So yes, I could bake a pizza or cookies, even a baked chicken!

Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank its_tam
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 9, 2007

We have two small kids, 6 and 4. Though it's a tad on the small side, the 2br suite was perfect for our needs. The cost was the same or less than the price of two rooms at similar nearby hotels and has the added convenience of having the kids within the same secured space.

The place was clean, the kitchenette with full fridge/freezer and microwave was a good place for snacks&drinks. There are also a stove, oven, and dishwasher which we didn't use.

TV has both Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network so mom & dad can sleep a little extra. We stayed 4 nights and had maid service daily.

Breakfast was the usual complimentary fare accompanied by a belgian waffle iron which the kids loved. TV in the dining room is set to CNN, so some discretion on seat location may be required.

There is a small but serviceable pool. We didn't bring suits because we thought it would be too cool to swim. The daytime temps ~80F found a number of people in the water and their lips weren't blue, so it must be OK.

The lobby computer is another great convenience for tourist info, maps (gotta find the local Starbucks!!!), and staying in touch if you must.

Staff was very friendly. We got the usual no hablo Ingles from housekeeping, but the front desk was able to communicate our needs without delay.

We hadn't stayed at a TownePlace before, but we will definitely look for them in other destinations.

Stayed March 2007
Wickenburg, AZ
Reviewed February 21, 2007

My husband surprised me with a night out, and when I saw it was a TownePlace Suites I was a little aprehensive. The office is a little hard to find and not very well marked, but the staff was friendly and helpful. The pool has an open bar fence so you can see it from the parking lot, and from what I could tell the pool was clean but not very big. There seemed to be enough tables and chairs for lounging. You have to use your key to get into the building where the rooms are, so very secure feeling in the middle of a big city. The room was very clean and nice smelling and very roomy. The shower/tub was nice and big, with fast hot water. Good breakfast with waffels, fruit, cereal, bagels, and of all things biscuits and gravy! The staff restocked the breakfast goods fairly promptly. Overall I was very impressed!

• Liked — clean, roomy, friendly staff, secure
  • Disliked — no elevators that I could see, small pool
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 4, 2006

The two young men running the desk when I checked in at night were too busy being goofs to take care of the customer. They had no interest in providing service. The second evening I was there, I stood at the check in desk for 10 minutes to buy a bottled water. The two same young men were having such a good time together in the back room that I had no one to pay and finally gave up.

The rooms are a little long in the tooth. They are okay but not what you would expect from a Marriott property.

The young woman running the desk in the morning was attentive. She went out of her way to be nice to the guests. What a difference between the day shift and the night shift.

My advice; if you must stay here, check in early and check out early and avoid the two BOZOs!!!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank Ultimatetravelking
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 23, 2004

This is one of the best kept secrets in Phoenix - I'm not sure I should let everyone know how great these TownPlace Suites really are. This location has some of the nicest and most helpful staff I have ever had the experience of staying with. This hotel is super clean, in a nice area with nearby restaurants, post office, and a huge mall across the freeway. The kitchens have stoves with ovens, dishwashers, full size refrigerators, wireless highspeed internet, small sets of dishes & pots and pans, and a gas grill beside the pool. The best room deals are the studios and after you stay 30 days NO TAXES and the ones you paid are rebated. The hotel just got brand new beds, the grounds are kept very nice, the rooms are cleaned 3 times a week, and has the same continental breakfast everyday. If you love cable tv and have to have channels like Fox News, AMC, TMC, HBO, History etc. forget it - that is their one major draw back - very limited & very few channels with only two minor movie channels - their only other minor drawback is no ceiling fans for those wonderful Phoenix weather days. I working on my second month and no thought of leaving while I'm here!

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business