“Nice hotel; noise outside room”

Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix Midtown
Ranked #44 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Montreal, Canada
“Nice hotel; noise outside room”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is a nice hotel; there was construction in the lobby but this is quite tolerable. The ambient noise in the west tower from either the ice machine in the hall or fans on the roof was unpleasant. The pool was pleasant and the parking convenient.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
NoCal
Reviewed November 9, 2013

stayed here one night. I thought it was the old Holiday Inn but it was real close to my Hertz car rental place. The parking is not idea as there is a lot across this driveway/ street so if you are not stopped at the passenger dropoff, you might end up driving in circles. I just stopped and parked in front of two gardening trucks and ran in the hotel asking for an early checkin, which was denied. Thats ok, returned, got my room and this place is not a Hilton Garden Inn. It's an old no-tel motel that they are trying to make into a Hilton Garden Inn. The construction is all over the place and yes, they leave stuff out overnight which you would think the management would have the contractors push their stuff into a corner or something. The room was 1980s as a previous reviewer stated with old thermostat controls.The clerk said my room was renovated except for the drapes and something else, I forget. The drapes are at least 18 inches from the window, meaning there is light no matter how you close the drapes. You need duct tape to make sure there is no bright light coming through. Breakfast was good, but I never had to walk across the room from Omelet station to all the rest of the breakfast foods. Oh, I mentioned the contractors, did I tell you they started at 7:18am the morning I was there? I hear the dragging of ladders by the pool. Even if they remodeled and comp'd me the room, I will not return.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I never complain, but I signed up to TripAdvisor just to leave a negative review for this hotel.

This hotel is under renovation so you shouldn't expect things to be tidy, but the hotel management should at least make the contractors clean up after themselves. Construction debris, equipment, tools, scrap drywall, trash etc are left scattered around various areas of the downstairs halls and common areas. The gym is actually a sub-par sports club that the hotel seems to have an association with, but you need to follow a short maze around a gift shop, hallways, and a few doors before finding your way to the club, at which time you realize you need your room key AND an ID. Worst case is you get an extra warm-up by walking back to your room to get your ID, but it's still annoying.

The staff is nice, but there seems to be a lack of good renovation management happening right now that makes this Hilton the worst Hilton Garden Inn I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot. The place also feels like an old dingy motel that's trying to be a Hilton. I could also hear the guy snoring in the room next to me, so there's pretty poor insulation too.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel if renovations are still ongoing. Don't stay at this Hilton unless you need the lo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Greg G
Santa Maria, California
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My brother, adult daughter and I stay at the Hilton Garden Inn at least once a year while visiting family. Each visit provides a different experience. This time, the hotel is undergoing a great deal of construction, and no matter how much the front desk staff tried to sugar-coat it, it did make for not the best visit we've had. Interesting, they are constructing some sort of huge gazebo in the lobby, we felt the money might be better spent putting decent fans in the bathrooms, or offering complimentary water bottles to the guests rather than charging $1.75 per bottle! In general the hotel is clean and the rooms are quiet. The business center has always worked for us, convenient for printing out boarding passes and such. The location of the hotel is excellent for our needs. The only other comment I might make is that it would have been nice if hotel management had warned us of some sort of marathon/running event taking place on the morning of our departure. We had a great deal of difficulty trying to get across Central Avenue and actually had to stop and ask a police officer how to get to the airport. It was a good thing we had left with plenty of time to spare. We will probably stay at the Hilton again, mainly due to the convenient location. Hopefully by then the remodel will be complete.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Corona, California
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I booked this room as a suggestion from a conference I was involved with. The entire hotel is under construction. Drywall, wall paper, work scaffolding everywhere! There was a small and limited bar. No restaurant, room service, or anywhere to sit in or near the lobby that was not covered in dust from the building.

None of this was disclosed at the time of booking and there was little offered when asked about this detail.

Breakfast is good and the room is clean once you get to it. It should be nice when finished, but that is quite a bit in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank calgal25
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Extremely clean together with excellent staff/service. Great location that visitors can get to several inexpensive tasty food, and obtain local transport- dirt cheap minutes away, walking distance from hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Peoria, Arizona, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked one night here. The staff was very nice. Had a problem with the AC/Heat. They sent up an engineer. Problem was not fixed. They said they were remodeling but the floor they put in the bath was so bad. It looked cheap. The main issue was the bed. I have back issues and told them when we checked in. We say at Hilton because you always have a good bed. Well I got ready to crawl in about 11 PM. The bed was awful. Lumps and hard. The linens were not Hilton quality. I ended up sleeping in the chair. I could have called but that late I did not want to move. Already in PJ's. Mentioned this when checking out. The guy there said "you have to turn the black button to put air in the matress". He showed me a sign and said I should have been told at check in....Well I was not...Did he offer me points or a discount...Nope...Guess I will write to corporate.... Would never stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple