“Poor management of renovations”

Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix Midtown
Ranked #42 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I never complain, but I signed up to TripAdvisor just to leave a negative review for this hotel.

This hotel is under renovation so you shouldn't expect things to be tidy, but the hotel management should at least make the contractors clean up after themselves. Construction debris, equipment, tools, scrap drywall, trash etc are left scattered around various areas of the downstairs halls and common areas. The gym is actually a sub-par sports club that the hotel seems to have an association with, but you need to follow a short maze around a gift shop, hallways, and a few doors before finding your way to the club, at which time you realize you need your room key AND an ID. Worst case is you get an extra warm-up by walking back to your room to get your ID, but it's still annoying.

The staff is nice, but there seems to be a lack of good renovation management happening right now that makes this Hilton the worst Hilton Garden Inn I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot. The place also feels like an old dingy motel that's trying to be a Hilton. I could also hear the guy snoring in the room next to me, so there's pretty poor insulation too.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel if renovations are still ongoing. Don't stay at this Hilton unless you need the lo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Greg G

Reviewed November 7, 2013

My brother, adult daughter and I stay at the Hilton Garden Inn at least once a year while visiting family. Each visit provides a different experience. This time, the hotel is undergoing a great deal of construction, and no matter how much the front desk staff tried to sugar-coat it, it did make for not the best visit we've had. Interesting, they are constructing some sort of huge gazebo in the lobby, we felt the money might be better spent putting decent fans in the bathrooms, or offering complimentary water bottles to the guests rather than charging $1.75 per bottle! In general the hotel is clean and the rooms are quiet. The business center has always worked for us, convenient for printing out boarding passes and such. The location of the hotel is excellent for our needs. The only other comment I might make is that it would have been nice if hotel management had warned us of some sort of marathon/running event taking place on the morning of our departure. We had a great deal of difficulty trying to get across Central Avenue and actually had to stop and ask a police officer how to get to the airport. It was a good thing we had left with plenty of time to spare. We will probably stay at the Hilton again, mainly due to the convenient location. Hopefully by then the remodel will be complete.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I booked this room as a suggestion from a conference I was involved with. The entire hotel is under construction. Drywall, wall paper, work scaffolding everywhere! There was a small and limited bar. No restaurant, room service, or anywhere to sit in or near the lobby that was not covered in dust from the building.

None of this was disclosed at the time of booking and there was little offered when asked about this detail.

Breakfast is good and the room is clean once you get to it. It should be nice when finished, but that is quite a bit in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank calgal25
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Extremely clean together with excellent staff/service. Great location that visitors can get to several inexpensive tasty food, and obtain local transport- dirt cheap minutes away, walking distance from hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked one night here. The staff was very nice. Had a problem with the AC/Heat. They sent up an engineer. Problem was not fixed. They said they were remodeling but the floor they put in the bath was so bad. It looked cheap. The main issue was the bed. I have back issues and told them when we checked in. We say at Hilton because you always have a good bed. Well I got ready to crawl in about 11 PM. The bed was awful. Lumps and hard. The linens were not Hilton quality. I ended up sleeping in the chair. I could have called but that late I did not want to move. Already in PJ's. Mentioned this when checking out. The guy there said "you have to turn the black button to put air in the matress". He showed me a sign and said I should have been told at check in....Well I was not...Did he offer me points or a discount...Nope...Guess I will write to corporate.... Would never stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had a pleasant experience. We had meals elsewhere due to our limited budget. We appreciated the quiet air conditioning, unlike other hotels with noisy units in the rooms. The recliner, refrigerator, coffee, and other amenities in the room were much appreciated. We especially take notice of efforts to protect the natural world (i.e., the "environment").

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Quite worn place, but clean. We were there because we needed a place where our toddler could be allowed to sleep without too much noise from our fellow guests, which he could in this hotel. The hotel was under refurbishing, and that may be why there were no toe boards finishing off the uneven wall paper endings. It looked rather unfinished. The breakfast was not included, which was ok as we got the impression that they made an effort to maintain quality standards. All in all: good value for money.

Room Tip: We had the Cabana King room which was top floor, spaceous and not much more expencive than the regul...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family