“Never Again”

Ranked #45 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Bellingham, Washington
“Never Again”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I came here as a consultant to work in the Phoenix downtown area and as a Hilton Diamond member I have stayed at Hilton's all over the United states.

This particular Hilton felt like a motel 6 in the 1980's. Very run down with old carpet and window treatments. When staying in my room, I felt that I had to wash my hands every five minutes as it felt so grimy.

My company booked the hotel so I tried to make the best of it and purchased Clorox wipes to wash down the surfaces. However, after the second night, I checked out and stayed at the Sheraton.

Pros: The staff was really wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Onedayfun V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Saint Louis, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I enjoyed my saty at the Hilton Garden. My only issue was the bed; it was so uncomfortable. I tried to adjust the settings, that was not successful. I just made the best out of it. The pillows are so flat. I went to a store and brought an additional pillow. I did not report it; I just made the best out of it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Arroyo Seco, New Mexico
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had problems at another hotel and had to find a new one rather late. The staff was very accommodating and the rate was half what we were going to pay at the other hotel. We were also very pleased that the hotel shuttle took us to and from the location where we had to plug in our all-electric car. Could only have been better if the hotel had its own plug-ins.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Schnecksville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights and had nothing but one good expereience after another. Staff went out of their way to see if I needed anything. Hotel room was quite, clean, and well equiped and was less than $90/night with tax! Good location. lots of dining nearby and public transportation 1 block away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Our room had a very musty smell. I think it was from the very old A/C unit. At least it blew cold air! This is not your typical HGI since it was something else before Hilton got it. It is attached to a high rise office building and parking is around the corner and in a big lot. At least the hotel does not charge for the parking like in most big cities. Yes, they are doing a remodel on the public areas and boy do they need it. Carpet is very old and worn as are the furnishings. Elevator we took to our room was so small even for 2 people and not cooled. We were sweltering by the time we got to our room which was a very long walk. Rates are low for the summer but I think we will stay somewhere else next time since there are other options nearby. Great area for getting around town with light rail one block over on Central Ave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DesertRat011
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Very old. Sliding door did not function. Walls were some sort of stucco, very outdated. The room was large with a mini-fridge and pull out couch, but everything felt very dated. I did not experience the spa or breakfast, but I was definitely not impressed with the hotel itself. Someone else made this reservation for me, or I would have been able to read the reviews here first. Not worth the money at all.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I am a local and I had to spend a night here since I had a broken air conditioner. It is a bit hidden behind some office towers within a commercial area. The entire hotel is a bit old and it shows. it is also quite big, as in wide spread. There are two separate sections, a 'bungalow' three story section where a lot face the pool or the road, and then a tower in the back. To get to the tower rooms you need to go outside and walk around the pools before going back inside. When the weather is hot or wet this part really sucks.

As any HGI there is a built in bar, that is quite tiny and closes way too early. There is also a built in restaurant that I didn't visit. There are a few other restaurants within walking distance, but it is a commercial area so there isn't much life after business hours. Though there is an actual gym within the attached office building that HGI visitors have access too, making it one of the best fitness centers in a hotel (as it is a actual gym).

As for the room, I was in the tower section. Had a view of the pool which has a glass door that opens, but no actual balcony. The room has a tiny fridge and microwave that seem crammed in as an afterthought. The bed, like most HGIs was alright, and that adjustable firmness dial they tout still didn't seem to do anything. Otherwise, the decor of the room and the rest of the hotel looks just early-90s dated.

*Though* there was a sign in the lobby talking about a remodel later this year (2013). I am not sure if it will address all the problems (as the tower section requiring outdoor walking to access too doesn't seem fixable) should help with the dated feel. Next time the AC in my apartment dies I can hopefully update the review.

Room Tip: Outside of having to go outside from the lobby to access it, the tower rooms seen decent enough as c...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo