“Great experience.”

Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The name on the review should read: "Courtyard Cafe at Heard Museum" as they also have a Coffee Cantina. Very nice experience all around even if you don't visit the museum. Easy to drop by if touring on the metro train. I didn't allow time for a leisurely meal but this is the place to do it. I loved the courtyard garden and fountains. I posted pics in my review of the museum. The menu is on their website.

There are newer reviews for The Courtyard Cafe at the Heard Museum

Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

We chose to eat at the cafe after reading the other good reviews here. One can definitely eat here and visit the gift shop without paying admission to the museum. We ate before we toured the museum, which was a smart move because we were fueled up to tour the exhibits at a leisurely pace.

We split a turkey blt wrap and had Navajo fry bread with agave syrup and powdered sugar for dessert. We only had water to drink but it came with a cucumber slice which infused the water more strongly as the lunch went on.

The wrap was definitely big enough to share. It came with a choice of sides - couscous, green salad or something else (sorry, can't remember!), and the waiter suggested adding an extra side for three bucks so we could both have something. The couscous salad was divine with diced red bell pepper, baby pumpkin seeds and other delicious bits mixed in. We also had a small green salad with prickly pear dressing, which was fine but not as exciting as the couscous.

The wrap was tasty and fresh and was served in a chipotle-flavored tortilla. A fairly typical set of ingredients but very good and filling. The dessert was typical fry bread, although I found it to be not
quite as light and fluffy as I'm used to

We sat outside, in the shade, and it made us feel like we were on vacation even though we were just there on a day trip. I did think the prices were higher than I expected based on the reviews, but the wrap, the extra side and the fry bread came to 20 bucks so no complaints!

I would eat here again and would even suggest it as a low key place to celebrate a birthday lunch or such. Definitely a cut above other museum cafes. There were several dishes that incorporated traditional Southwestern ingredients including native beans and the like.

Whether you're from the area and just dropping in, or visiting from elsewhere, you'll do just fine if you choose to eat here. I should mention they were serving the "summer" menu and there were no burgers or anything like that. It was appetizers, soup, salads, wraps, and desserts, I believe.

1  Thank dewdawg
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We visited the Heard Museum to see the Geronimo exhibit knowing there is a cafe but knowing nothing about it. When we were done in the museum we decided to look at the menu. The host sold us on the on premises lunch and we were glad we stayed. Service was friendly and efficient. The wine list was good. My shrimp salad was excellent and filling. My wife enjoyed her tacos. One friend had a berry salad with shrimp on it that she couldn't finish and enjoyed it. Other friend had a chicken wrap which he couldn't finish. you can have lunch here (and visit the shops) without paying admission to the museum if by some chance you are in the neighborhood but it is worth going to the museum while there. It is a little museum cafe where everything works.

1  Thank jamesccasterline
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I can honestly say the meal I ate at the Heard Museum Cafe was one of the best meals we ate on our entire trip. I had a salad which was both delightfully fresh and filling, and my fiancee had the shrimp tacos. All the food was a very high quality and not too expensive. I would also recommend the prickly pear lemonade, which was extremely refreshing on a hot day. I would come back here to eat even if I was not going into the museum.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I, too, did not expect the food to be as good as it was. I would go to The Cafe even if I was not going to the museum. The bison burger was good and the guac is wonderful!