“Worth every calorie”

Cuisines: Native American
Neighborhood: Encanto
Neighborhood: Encanto
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Whenever I travel I always try to find a place that serves some indigenous treat that the locals all know about. This is that place in Phoenix. If you're on a calorie restricted diet, you should stop reading this now. All you had to do was look around at some of the corpulent, plus-sized patrons to see what happens if you enjoy fry-bread tacos too often. Having said that, these things are ungodly delicious. I could eat the fry bread on its own but then stuff it with some chorizo, beans and cheese with a little hot sauce on top and … oh my God. The place itself, shall we say … has character (and some characters) ... kind of diner like. You order at the counter and then some nice native american brings you your food. I'm really glad I don't live anywhere near this place but I'll definitely be back on my next trip to Phoenix. Oh, and for dessert, I'd recommend a minimum of a half hour on the treadmill.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Fry Bread House's new location is 1003 E. Indian School Rd.. If you want to take visitors to a real Arizona experience, this is it, owned by a Navajo family. Roomy, not fancy, low prices, basic service. Everything we've eaten here is delicious, tho probably not low cal - many fillings on fry bread, or folded into big, fluffy tacos. Save room for one with honey, cinnamon, or chocolate for dessert. In a side room, Navajo ladies have a few tables of hand made jewelry for a fraction of tourist prices.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Whenever i get an opportunity i drive down to the fry bread house. Many years ago i had a store close to there location. The food is authentic and delicious. the folks who work there are kind and patient. I was so glad to here they are moving into a bigger spot across the street.

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We first had to find their new location as the address hasn't been updated. New address is 1003 E Indian School Rd. They obviously just moved in and probably should have finished renovating before opening their doors. We decided to try the chocolate butter fry bread - yummy. Reminds you of a funnel cake but tastes better.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I really liked the fry bread house in phoenix. I hoped that this place would be similar and much to my amazement the fry bread comes close except not as big in portions. I got the red chili fry bread with beans and it was very tasty without being too spicy. However, the bread itself did a poor job of withstanding all the toppings. $11.00 for a fry bread and drink I may go once in awhile on a craving but nothing more.