“Heck of a salad”

Ranked #29 of 3,776 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Description: Formerly Houston's, Hillstone invites you to dine with in our new restaurant featuring outdoor lounge area and new additions to the menu along with time-honed Houston's classics.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I don't love ordering salads. But the chicken salad here was phenomenal. I'll be back soon for more.

Date of visit: December 2019
Write a reviewReviews (403)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Never gave this place much thought, but had recently heard chatter so decided to try. I regret spending my time and money in hindsight. It’s promising when you first walk in, as the ambiance is lively. My bad experience started with the hostess who was stuffy. We were sat past our reservation time, but I looked past that as well. As soon as the man sat us down, he immediately asked for what we wanted to drink. Too quick, in my opinion to put us on the spot. He brought us water and within a minute our server came and asked if we were “ready”. We said need just a couple of minutes to scan the menu, etc. She came back 2 minutes later and we politely asked for one more quick minute. At that point the service became horrendous. She now didn’t come back for about 10 minutes as we looked into space wondering why we came here. Finally she came and took our order. She was rude. Don’t know her name but had dark hair in a bun. We ordered a couple of glasses of wine, and some artichoke dip to start. Wine came to each of us at different times. It also came to us by way of a random guy just walking by and putting the glass on the table and just walking away. My wife had the coconut shrimp sushi and I had their French dip. Two bites in my wife asked me to taste her shrimp in the sushi. I did and quickly could tell it was past it’s prime, having an extremely strong ammonia/bleach taste. In all fairness the appetizer and my French dip was good. The sushi was unacceptable. When the server came by, we explained to her that we feel it’s not good and to please take away. After a few minutes she came back and gave a very poor excuse that what we tasted was a marinade/remoulade. To make it even more insulting, a manger didn’t even bother to come over and apologize. At that point we just wanted to leave. When she brought the check, it was without apology for our experience. Yes they rightfully removed the sushi from the bill, but handled poorly. The sad thing about this, is it’s all about service. I will not got back. I’ll urge friends, to not go back. It’s also sad that if handled right we would have enjoyed another glass, I.e, spent more money.
I haven’t posted much lately on TripAdvisor, but I couldn’t let this go. Too many other great restaurants in central Phoenix that will appreciate their clientele. These places will get my plastic going forward.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The restaurant is large but effective in breaking up into small places. It was quiet and all could hear each other. You felt as if you wee in a private room. The mood and ambiance is restful and very suitable for couples having a pleasant evening together. The sushi (Rainbow Roll) was well made and tasty. The appetizer were also quite tasty (Artichoke and spinach dip ). I also had a Manhattan. It was served in a chilled glass. When I was halfway through, the server noticed that the glass was no longer frosted and poured the balance into a newly frosted glass. It was an example of the top shelf service that you get at this restaurant. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Mango and steak noodle was so good... this dish is so good. I would seriously easy this once a week if I lived here. Bartenders were friendly but dissappointing they spent more time talking to each other than guests at the bar.

Reviewed January 4, 2020 via mobile

Always amazing ! We’ve been coming for years and this is one place that keeps it’s standards ! Amazing food , service , drinks , ambiance.. This FOX spot has it all.. Thai steak salad , and the apple walnut desert are outstanding!! It’s busy so you have to reserve .. And at times they are full . So plan ahead