“Hillstone wonder”
Review of Hillstone

Hillstone
Ranked #35 of 3,080 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Description: Formerly Houston's, Hillstone invites you to dine with in our new restaurant featuring outdoor lounge area and new additions to the menu along with time-honed Houston's classics.
New York City, New York
“Hillstone wonder”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

What a great easy place to entertain a client. Food is spot on, service staff is well train and attentive. I have an aversion to ordering fish is the dessert, so I went the heavy protein route, it Sparks in NYC would be a fair comparison to the Sirloin that Hillstone presented. My client order the same, his companion nibbled; thank God for a good bar!

• Visited March 2013

West Yellowstone, Montana
“Wow...Service was terrible and food was average.”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Ok, we were very excited to eat here. We had read several reviews, and it looked to be exactly what we wanted. Most of the reviews we read said the service was impeccable, and the food was extraordinary. Our experience left us feeling that we would have been much better off eating somewhere else, and spending way less money.
We made a reservation, and traffic was light, so we ended up being about 20 minutes early. We checked in at the hostess stand and we were informed that our table would be ready at our scheduled time. No problem. We sat by the beautiful fire and talked. After a few minutes, the hostess came and found us and told us our table was ready. We were pleased that she had remembered us and had come to find us, and we were being seated just a few minutes early. After several minutes at our table, our waitress showed up and asked what we'd like to drink. My wife asked for suggestions on something non-alcoholic, and was met with a blank stare. She asked for a virgin daquiri and was told that they don't do any flavors. Huh? Do they not have a bar? My wife said she'd think about it, and just take a water instead. I ordered a soda and a water. My soda arrived and her water arrived a few minutes later, and we ordered. Soon she brought brought our appetizer and sushi, but forgot the soy sauce dish. Five minutes later (no kidding) she showed up with it. Finally we could eat the sushi we had been staring at. Still no water and my soda was gone. Empty glass. A while later someone else brought our food...then a while later someone else cleared some of our plates...keep in mind I had one soda and no water and I'd been out since before the appetizer...Finally our waitress herself showed up and asked how everything was. We were practically finished. I asked (again) for water, and she looked at me smugly and walked off. Five minutes later...someone else brought me a glass of water. Then she showed up to drop off the check. The second my AMEX hit the tray, she was there to get it. Interesting. Wonder where her priorities are...
Anyway, the server was terrible. I tipped her 10% and felt like I was being overly generous. The ambiance was beautiful. The food was average. My meat was good; my wife's wasn't at all. It was full of gristle.
Are we going back? Heck no. I've had better service at Texas Roadhouse. And better food. And I didn't spend $100. We were on a special date, and were very disappointed.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank SliverIt
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Clubby and hip”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Standard American cuisine delivered in great surroundings by well trained staff.
Try the red cabbage, goes well with fish, chicken, or on its own.
The restaurant is part of Houston's group, so the menu is similar to the Scottsdale restaurant. But this is a bigger place with a lovely outdoor area. Heat lamps and a big fireplace keep the chill at bay, so one can sit back and relax with a cocktail.

Cheers.

Phoenix,AZ
“Definitely upscale, but decidely casual....”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

You do NOT need a special occasion to eat here!.Hillstone is the perfect choice for daily indulgence. The staff are knowledgeable and very attentive. The steaks are cooked perfectly and the kitchen doesn't know how to make a sauce or glaze that isn't rich and flavorful. The bar and patio are lively for happy hour, too.... my home away from home !

• Visited January 2013
“Upsold”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

The food was good, classic Arizona-American fare. The atmosphere is nice, but nothing particularly unique (on par with upscale chain restaurants). My overarching problem with my experience is that I felt like I was being upsold on every turn with additional appetizers (we ordered only one), drinks (we ordered a total of 3 for our party of 2), and dessert strongly recommended (we declined).