12 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.com$499
Hotels.com$499
JW Marriott$499
Priceline$499
FindHotel$499
Orbitz.com$499
3,249 results
All reviews lazy river griffin club stone grill golf course pool area beautiful property poolside service driving range ice water business conference self park spring break tennis courts family vacation rooms are nice fitness center stonegrill
Selected filters
Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

Decided to splash out and book a 5night stay for my ASU student’s Fall Break/birthday. For holiday we typically go to the Fairmont Princess but the season rates are already in effect. Was thrilled to get a very reasonable average nightly rate at the JW based on the longer duration. At the last minute I checked on shortening my stay from 5 to 3 days and it would have cost more, so...

The resort is beautiful. Our suite is spacious and elegantly appointed. The toiletries are generous and the robes pristine. It is very conveniently located walking distance down curated sidewalks from a myriad of shopping/entertainment. I spent the afternoon lounging at Griffin Bay on a comfortable padded chaise with fresh and plentiful towels and a pitcher of iced infused water. We spent the evening sitting outside listening to a very talented live music duo at the twenty6. The majestic palm trees glow with uplighting, children literally gambol on pristine lawns as the sun sets. The blended background noise of multiple sources of running water (streams, waterfalls, etc...) soothes while the lush bougainvillea brighten up every turn as you wind through the grounds. Should have been a perfect day. And if I had packed a cooler with wine, sodas, lunch and hors d’oeuvres/dinner it would have been.

The pool was maybe 10% occupied.**Maybe. I was there from 1130-530. Other than when initially installed in my reserved spot by a very welcoming attendant (who provided a poolside service menu), the only time I was spoken to by a waiter was when she came by to announce last call. I waited for at least 30-45min before hailing and asking the attendant the first time if poolside service was actually offered. He said yes and sent over someone. Another several hours go by and I ask a passing staff person who turned out to be towel service and she sent someone over. The prickly pear marg and signature kokopelli (see photo) are delicious. But the empties were never picked up. Never got lunch. When I left 6 hours later the trash was still sitting on the table next to me.

Dinner was no better. We were there 3 hours. The lounge was maybe 50% occupied. ** Literally had to walk up to the host stand to order food/drinks and again to ask for the ticket. I wrote a note saying “please hire more staff” and my daughter proceeded to read me the riot act saying that I just got our server in trouble.

It’s important to stress that the individual interactions with serving staff were all lovely. I am not complaining about the quality/manner of the personnel, and would be horrified to think that our waitress last night would be penalized in any way.

What I am disappointed with is the fact that a resort of this stature, charging $500/night for a weekend in October, is so woefully understaffed. It’s an incredible revenue loss in the short term. We would have easily paid resort pricing for 100% more food/drink ***if anyone ever came by to take our order***. And frankly, a revenue loss in the long term too. I likely will not choose to come back.

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank LauraF1662
TeamMarriott, Manager at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2018

Dear LauraF1662, thank you for choosing us to host your birthday break and for sharing your feedback and observations with us. We want our guests to experience genuine, attentive, and warm service throughout their stay, and we hope you will accept our apologies for falling short of this. We are grateful for your amazing review and for giving us proper recognition on our beautiful grounds, luxury accommodations and overall pleasant atmosphere. We have shared your concerns with the appropriate individuals to ensure we are better staffed to properly deliver the elevated journey you deserve. We appreciate your patience and hope you will consider staying with us again. Happy Birthday!

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

We have a couple favorite Marriotts and this is one of them. The entire hotel is well kept and updated. Rooms are large and well furnished and appointed. Grounds are very nice, great golf course. Staff is excellent and we received a nice return gift of chocolate strawberries. When we checked in we had a nice conversation with the front desk staff and they sent up a nice gift of food and drink. Overall an excellent stay, as always.

Trip type: Traveled on business
TeamMarriott, Manager at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2018

Dear Paul B,

Thank you for sharing about your stay at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa. We appreciate the flattering remarks and are glad you enjoyed our inspired service and well-appointed accommodations. Thank you for the kind review, and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

A true JW resort. This is one of the best JW’s that I’ve been to. And I’ve been to many. Great room, great service, well worth the price. If you really want a nice place to go for business or pleasure, you won’t be disappointed. It’s sort of out of the way from everything but so much is right on the resort property that you won’t have to leave. Enjoy!

Trip type: Traveled on business
TeamMarriott, Manager at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2018

Dear 674MikeB674,

We appreciate you choosing our brand once again and are delighted to welcome you to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa. We are thrilled to have exceeded your expectations. Thanks for your business, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely perfect weather and relaxing day at the Spa! Headed to Happy Hour at the Resort Bar for the famous Prickly Pear Margarita! This JW Marriott is so peaceful, beautiful and private. Truly an oasis in the desert!

Trip type: Traveled with family
TeamMarriott, Manager at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2018

Dear MBricketto,

Thank you for the warm compliments. It is always wonderful to know from our guests, and we are delighted you enjoyed your time at our Revive Spa and that you were able to take advantage of happy hours. It was our pleasure serving you at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 4, 2018

The staff, the cleanliness, and the accommodations here are incredible. Not only was the room well maintained, clean, up-to-date and spacious, it came with a tiny kitchenette that was well-used by us! There's a grocery store nearby that we were able to visit to stock our fridge. You are also able to use the pool across the street at the JW Marriot Hotel With its lazy river and great areas for lounging under misters, it is the best part of staying here. One warning-the pina coladas garnished with honey and toasted coconut are AMAZING but EXPENSIVE! Well, worth it in my opinion. It's a beautiful property and well managed. The staff is attentive and kind.

Room tip: Ask for ones overlooking the mountain
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
TeamMarriott, Manager at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2018

Dear Christina R,

Thank you for sharing the key details of your experience at JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa. It is always wonderful to know from our guests, and we are glad you enjoyed your time with us. We are glad you were able to take advantage of our five sparkling pools and the lazy river. It was our pleasure serving you, and we hope you are already planning another trip our way!