JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$100
$87
$75
Red Roof Plus+ Phoenix West(Phoenix)(Great Value!)
$52
$327
$305
Westin.com
$327
$309
  • Pool
DoubleTree by Hilton Phoenix North(Phoenix)(Great Value!)
$114
Agoda.com
$476
TripAdvisor
2,836 results
All reviewslazy rivergriffin clubroy's restaurantstone grillgolf coursepool areabeautiful propertypoolside servicewater featuresice waterlarge hoteldriving rangebusiness conferenceself parkingspring breaklobby barfamily vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 29, 2006

My husband had a lengthy conference at the JW Marriot Desert Ridge the end of July. While the lobby and grounds were beautiful, the hotel has major problems with its air conditioning. We were assigned a beautiful suite overlooking the pool, and we could not get the room temperature below 83 degrees. The hotel's engineering department admitted that the rooms at the end of the halls are also at the end of their cooling "loop" and do not get adequate cooling. In addition, our lovely bathroom that was big enough to have a dance floor in it, had no vents or air conditioning supply. It was unbearable. We literally kept the door open with fans blowing the slightly cooler air from the hallway (which was still very warm) into the room. The hotel moved us to another room in the area....but same problem. We finally gave up our suite and moved to a standard room closer to the lobby and the air conditioning was at best, adequate (we kept our fan!).

MANY of the conference rooms were too hot, and other rooms seemed to be cool then hot, as if the hotel was moving its inadequate cooling capabilities around.

The pool areas are nice, and service was ok...beyond the seemingly unfixable air conditioning problem.

If you're thinking of booking a conference/meeting at this property in the summer, my advice is don't do it. If you're just wanting to take the family for a night or two, ask for a "centrally located room" and it will probably be ok.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank PHX_Travel
Reviewed July 19, 2006

We stayed at the hotel because of a business conference, not so much by choice, and I think we would have chosen elsewhere, if not for the business conference. The rate was quite high for the off-season, considering the level of service and the quality of the room. Maybe if I was a golfer I would have been more excited, but this resort is out on the edge of town, a 20-30 minute drive from the nightlife of Scottsdale.

The hotel is big, and I think that may be part of the problem. It's very dificult to provide top service to over a thousand guests. House cleaning was quite slow and the halls seemed to be filled with maids carts all the time. We had numerous problems getting internet connections (should be better at a nearly new hotel), and the staff weren't much help. Wireless and high-speed in the room were two separate charges, for each computer. In fairness, the hotel did remove most of our Internet charges.

There are several food options, quite acceptable and reasonably priced, given that this is an expensive resort. The pools are very nice, and they are generously staffed with attendants. The pool area seemed to be the most service-oriented part of the hotel. Many other folks were "going through the motions" or a little rough around the edges. This is not a Ritz-Carlton.

This a very nice property, and families will enjoy a trip to this resort more than a trip to Las Vegas. But the place didn't feel that special, and I think I would have preferred to stay at one of the more established resorts closer in to the center of Scottsdale (most of which are the same price or less expensive.)

Stayed: June 2006
12  Thank BaronVonH
Reviewed July 10, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel twice. The rooms are wonderful, the staff friendly, a vacation it iself. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank K3c
Reviewed July 9, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a weekend getaway at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge. We’re Phoenix residents, but like to check out the local hotels and spas. This was our first visit to this property. We have stayed at other JW Marriott properties and were impressed. Not so with this property. The lobby and grounds are beautiful. The staff and service were mostly unremarkable. Probably the biggest drawback was the room. Rather than the usual luxurious JW standard, it was more like “JW meets Courtyard by Marriott.” If you want luxury, this is not the resort for you. There was nothing elegant about the room. It was simply standard. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean, but beyond that, we were not impressed. Further, the hallways leading to the guestrooms were hot and muggy. It was as if they were trying to conserve electricity by keeping the AC set at an uncomfortably high temperature. In addition, the hallways had an odd odor that we likened to dry cleaning fluid. We visited the spa on Saturday, enjoying two treatments each. The treatments themselves were fine, but the spa lacks the luxury of its competitors in this resort category. The wet areas are minimal, and overall, the spa accommodations are only so-so. We did enjoy the spa pool, which is much less crowded than the other pools at the resort. It was quiet and relaxing, with the exception of an inconsiderate guest yapping continuously on her cell phone. The Spa Bistro served tasty food with efficient, courteous service. We dined at Roy’s, where the service was exceptional and the food on par with other Roy’s locations. I will return to this Roy's location. However, I will not stay at this property again. Given a choice, I would book the Camelback Inn, which has a sumptuous spa and guest accommodations that offer what I expect from a JW Marriott.

• Stayed: July 2006
9  Thank ArtiesBear
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We stayed here on business with my husband. Well where do I start? Upon driving in to the resort you are struck with the immeadiate immensity of the hotel. It is truly a "resort" in scale. Checking in was a bit hectic, there were a gaggle of luggage boys under the carport busily attending to peoples luggage. Getting in and over to the checkin desk was a bit harried but I think it was a busy day. They said they were at full capacity. We arrived early (around 1pm) and they had a lovely room available already. When we walked into our standard room we were surprised to see our bed covered in red rose petals. It was beauitiful. I dont know if this is standard practice for them or not, alot of other guests I spoke to did not recieve this but it was a nice touch.The bathroom was gorgeous, It was so large! It had a nice deep tub for baths and a seperate all-glass shower. The tile in the bathrooms is gorgeous but VERY slippery when wet. I think its a law-suit waiting to happen. The pools are beautiful, that is where I spent the majority of my time, while my husband was on business. There are many private corners,shady spots and umbrellas to stake out if you want to be alone. The service by the pool was unexpected. They will bring you drinks and a limited menu poolside. The food was great, noone I was with, was ever dissapointed in there choices. The salads could feed a small family, and at $12-14 each they should. Heres a tip: They offer a smaller managable half-size salad for $6-8 each that is still enough to fill up even a large appetite. But they wont tell you they offer this smaller size, we just found out by accident. Food and drink service poolside was a little on the slow side but the young people that were working the pool in 100+degree heat deserved a medal for that alone. Housekeeping was a bit slow, some days I would be out of my room 8 or 9 hours and come back and housekeeping was just finishing or had not gotten to my room yet. My only complaint about this goregeous place was the selection of places to eat. There is NOWHERE to just grab a low-cost meal. Even the cafe that is poolside charged $12 for a cheesburger, $12-14 for salads, and $10-12 for average drinks.(Everyone was raving about there Pina Coladas w/toasted coconut in all fareness) The restaurants I'm sure were fabulous, I only ate in the 2 that were the most affordable. You can also have drinks and a small food menu out on the large patio in the back of the hotel. ( I recommend the "Chicken Wonton-Tostada's" they were unreal....Yumm!!!) They have large upholstered furniture outside on the back patio, where you can sit and feel like your on your living room couch being served dinner. I wished I would have aten there a bit more it was so relaxing. All and all there is not much I can say bad about this place, between the mountain veiws, the gorgeous pools, the mostly prompt and couteous service, beautiful rooms, and good food it was a fantastic week. I would highly reccomend it to anyone visiting Phoenix.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business