“Very nice upscale resort”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Chicago, IL
“Very nice upscale resort”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Friendly, helpful staff. Great rib eye steak at Tuscany restaurant. Really enjoyed the lazy river.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
phoenix
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Potentially a lovely resort , well kept , with very good facilities .

However I would not return because of a couple of major issues. When I booked I called the hotel and was told there was a package which was $ 269 and gave free breakfast buffet and $ 100 a night towards the hotel restaurants. When I checked in I asked to confirmed the package but they said " no free breakfast". After a long discussion they eventually agreed to honour what I had been told and not charge for the breakfast. However when I checked out they had charged for the breakfast !.. That was another long conversation but they did eventually cancel that charge. They had also not applied the$ 100 credit to my dinner at Roys restaurant at the hotel . I took issue with this when I checked out and got the bill and they said " that resturant is on our property but not owned by us so you cannot use the credit. " I said that was the first time I had been told that and if I had known I would have eaten at one of their other restaurants . They said that when they gave me my room key there was some small print on the documents attached stating that Roys was excluded, , so I had to pay for that dinner. ( When I got home I found the papers they gave me when I checked in and there was NO mention of the fact that I could not use the credit at Roys) . When I checked out I asked if I could use some of the unused credit for lunch . They said that was fine. However that was then charged to my credit card, but when I raised the issue they cancelled it. . This was all such a hassle I would not return. I got the clear impression that they will charge for everything they can and hope you do not notice. The second issue I had was that despite a very good range of pools, not one was " adults only" and all had noisy kids so I had no peace to read. I also think that the $ 25 " resort fee" should be shown upfront as part of the room cost, not slipped into the final bill .

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank bill007
Atlanta GA
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I stayed at J.W. Marriott Spa & Resort for three nights for a business event. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. The facility is gorgeous! I could have spent most of my trip in the lobby or the huge arrival verandah. This impressive property blends very well with the natural surroundings and I was thrilled to see jack-rabbits eating grass on the lawn on my way to breakfast. Dining outside was a treat as well since all sorts of birds, including hummingbirds happily mingled with diners and staff and more aggressive species waited to snatch left overs from the buffets and clearing trays. The impressive labeled native plant collection on the walking paths and an adequate number of big comfy wooden benches and chairs made it easy to tolerate the high temperatures (102 - 106 during my stay). The distant mountain range was an impressive view from my balcony. A colleague said she'd seen a coyote on the path during an early morning jog. This facility is definitely for nature lovers and is a perfect backdrop for nature photography.

My king room was adequate, though the color scheme and decor made it a little too casual - might do well with an update. The room and the entire hotel were clean and tidy though. In my room was a large desk with ethernet (wi-fi is free in the lobby), big screen TV, large chest with in-room safe, large closet, loads of large mirrors, a seating area with loveseat and coffee table and a large bath with deep soaking tub and separate glass shower. When I reported the toilet handle was barely attached to the tank when I got to my room maintenance arrived promptly to make the repair and the front desk followed up via phone to ensure all was well.

Meeting areas were great but our group was quite large so we utilized several salons. Because of the size of the room it was difficult to view either of the huge screens while presenting from the center of the stage. One thing everyone noted was the hotel catering staff for the meeting was reluctant to leave the buffets out for very long even though the meeting frequently ran past break time. Stragglers arrived to the foyer to find the serving trays had already been removed though there had still been plenty of food.

Food during the meeting and via room service was good, nothing extraordinary but certainly not inedible. The resort boasts several restaurants though I did not get a chance to try any of them. There is also a spa, golf course, swimming pool with 'rafting,' a Starbuck's and Kinko's as well as several upscale shops. Kiosks to print boarding passes are across from the front desk and are a welcome convenience. The conscierge desk staff was even there late evening to help facilitate day trips or outings and there was a multitude of brochures to peruse. Each morning, a variety of newspapers were available at reception.

Despite the magnitude and elegance of the entry and reception, the main focus at Marriott Spa & Resort seems to be comfort and a down to earth friendly, cheerful approach. I suppose that would explain the sunny yellows and bright colors in the rooms rather than more somber and stuffy elegance. One point to keep in mind if heading here for a stay is the resort is very large. I was on one end of the building on the lobby level and my meeting was at the other end. It was easily a ten minute walk, albeit through the beautiful lobby and past a bank of windows through which I could watch the bunnies enjoying the lawn.

Marriott was advertising a deal, $99 a night for up to four nights for a future visit but it was necessary to prepay and I wasn't sure when I'd be in Phoenix again so I didn't get details but I would definitely recommend this property for leisure or business especially at those savings!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank lexcyn1
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 20, 2009

The hotel is located on a huge parcel. The location, flora, water features and golf is what makes this hotel. Because of this, they can also charge a higher rate. I thought the room was a bit run down and slightly dated (late '90s/early 2000) decor and color scheme.

This was our second visit to the property. The outdoor features is the draw to this place. The hotel draws families and golfers. If you don't mind kids running down the hall, overtaking the pool or sporadic sounds of screams, then you'll not be irritated at this property.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chopalua
Phoenix Arizona
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We stayed in conjunction with a jazz concert on September 11 in room 5305. The accommodation was large, clean and comfortable. Our room had a king bed with deluxe linens. Our private balcony faced the north east and had a bistro table and two chairs with a great view of the pool and mountains. Room amenities included a flat panel TV with analog and digital content, couch, coffee table, desk with internet access (at extra cost) and two telephones. Beware that all calls made from room telephones to numbers outside the hotel are at extra cost. Check in is normally at 4:00 PM but I called ahead and was granted a 2:00 PM check in. Our stay was on a Friday night and there was a large gathering in the lounge area. One could hear the din from all of the people gathered in the lounge but it was not loud enough to spoil our stay and it did diminish around midnight. Check in was fast friendly and efficient. My biggest complaint with our stay is that the Marriott does not make it easy for those driving their own vehicle. If you choose not to use valet parking (I don’t trust the valets with my car) the self parking areas are far from the lobby. There is no close temporary parking for check in and the valets insist on taking your car keys while checking in.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nevada_Terry
Georgia
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I used Marriott points to stay at this hotel for three nights. I was charged a daily resort fee of $25 so the deal was not completely free, but close.

Due to lines at the rental car counter and a crazed GPS unit that sent me at first South from Sky Harbor instead of North I was very late arriving. There was no one at the bellman station or valet and the huge lobby area was desolate. I never saw the area look this way again during my stay--typically it was like a beehive.

I asked for a quiet room and upon first examination of the room's location and view I was disappointed. Later I learned to be grateful as I was far from the very noisy areas of the hotel. This hotel was full of families with young children. I rarely took an elevator downstairs from my fifth floor room without sharing it with children and strollers.

I had read about the lazy river online and the many pools but when I went outside the lazy river was almost solid acorss with inner tubes occupied by kids. This was the situation at every pool. I checked out all of them and there werte children in all of them. The one that was the farthest from the back of the hotel was the least crowded. There is a Nickolodean kids' camp and lots of activiitesd geared for children. Most children were well supervised though I did ride the elevator with solo children more than once and even in my room with its view of some construction acorss the way I heard the occasional howl of children running on the floors below me. I liked it that my room had a balcony, but it was so close to the balconies to my right and left that whenever I went outside I felt I was sharing the space. A teenage girl in the room next to me stared at me whenever I went outside to sit to the point that I grew uncomfortable. I noticed that some of the balconies on the poolside of the hotel had dividers between the balconies, but the ones on the wing where my room was located did not.

Now with all this said,, the room was very well appointed and larger than the typical room. The bathroom had a separate shower with clear glass walls and glass door and a deep soaking bath tub. The toiletries provided were larger than those typically supplied and very nice. There was a robe in the closet, a flat screen TV, and a nice sofa. I was surprised that there was no wi-fi--had to connect by cable and pay for the use of the internet--a pet peeve of mine since most lower end Marriott properties provide this as a free service.

The botanical gardens on the property were nice and I enjoyed seeing the rabbits there as well as the interesting flora. There is a fedex center and a Starbucks coffee shop on the premises. I did not eat in the hotel redstaurants as I had reservations at several PHX restaurants during my stay. I did have a drink out on the patio one night where they had live music. A water element separates the patio from a grassy lawn and I sat at the table and watched kids playing Red Light Green Light on this lawn. There were a number of young teens, young kids and older people in this area just talking, enjoying the music, etc. It was pleasant but I kept thinking I would have had more fun with my grandkids...it was just that sort of place....a family resort.

I ordered room service breakfast one day and the food was okay but not that great. I had the omelette and it was dry with rubbery egg. The hashbrowns were a bit overdone and while there was a small vase containing a flower on the tray the presentation on the plate was rather drab. I expected a piece of fruit or some detail attention all things considered.

The valets were very fast with the car--always having it out front by the time I walked there from my room. They were all friendly, eager to open the door, seemingly grateful for tips.

They have two computers across from reception that you can use to print boarding passed for free. I did not know this except that I went to the fedex center and asked about time on computer and the girl there told me I could go to reception and do it for free and she would charge me by the minute. It would be nice to put this in the booklet in the room or advertise it better since my room was on the opposite side of the hotel froim the fedex center.

I did not use the spa so I can not comment on it.

All in all, the property is very pretty and well-maintained. The staff is kind and efficient. I would stay here again, but probably only if planning a trip with kids when I planned to spend a great deal of time at the property.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank BeingGreen
Hinsdale
Reviewed August 31, 2009

It really is a pleasure! The hotel is so nice that we stayed there 3 times n 3 different occasions in the past. It has beautiful rooms and grounds, great restaurants and costumer service is fantastic! I recomended it to many of our friends who were all very impressd!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#13 of 174 in Phoenix
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!