JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Greenville, SC
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed November 13, 2005

I just returned from Phoenix and a stay at the JW. Still conflicted on my feelings regarding our stay. My husband was out there for a conference and it just happened that our anniversary was the day after the conference ended. So I flew out a few days after he did and we just extended our stay. Overall I enjoyed it. The grounds are breathtaking! The food is great and everyone is very friendly. I really liked the location because it was located between Phoenix and Scottsdale and close to the freeway. It made getting around very easy. The staff was very helpful and always had smiles on their faces. Like I've already said the grounds are amazing. I really can't say enough about that and it really made up for the bad things (I'll get to those). There is a patio just outside the lobby that has several tables and lounge chairs with firepits and it was always the place to be in the evening and early morning. I really enjoyed taking a book and just hanging out. The pools are very nice and never seemed crowded.

Okay so here are the few negatives. The pools weren't heated and it wasn't very comfortable to swim. However, this was in November. Second, I called two weeks in advance and spoke with someone at the hotel. I explained that my husband was going to be there for the conference but that I would be flying in halfway through the week for our anniversary. I told her it would be great if we could get a room with a good view and a king sized bed. When my husband got there he was put in a room with doubles. He told the front desk I would be there in 3 days for our anniversary and could they move him as soon as a king came available. So when I arrived 3 days later he was still in the doubles. We slept in seperate beds because I am 5 months pregnant and there was NO way we could both squeeze into one of those little beds. Not ideal on a romantic getaway. The next day we called and again requested a king room. We were called back around noon and were told our new room was ready and a bellman was on his way up to move us. We loaded everything up and made the trek across the hotel to our new room. When we opened up the door it was another double but the view was amazing (pools). The bellman called the front desk and explained we were wanting a king and again said it was for our anniversary. He was told which room to take us to but it was on the 3rd floor and overlooked the front drive! Not exactly romantic but we opted for the king vs. the view. This was the biggest problem we had. I know the hotel was sold out because of conferences. However, it just seems to me that someone would've thought to put more of the single business travelers into the doubles and leave the king rooms for couples. Also, over the course of a week can you really tell me there wasn't a king room with a decent view that came available. Also, my husband is a preferred Marriott reward holder. So much for rewarding loyalty that week.
We did make the best of it and really enjoyed ourselves. Overall it was nice. Just a few little annoying things that keep me from giving it an "Excellent". Not sure if we'd stay again. If we knew the room situation would be better we would. However, because of the volume of conferences that seems unlikely.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
16 Thank dobie102977

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
USA
Reviewed October 21, 2005

Spent two days at this resort. Very clean and grounds were lovely. Got the package one night that included a full breakfast. The second night got the spa package which again included a full breakfast plus two 50 minute spa treatments. Breakfast was anything on the menu and included a buffet which was pretty much anything you can imagine-freshly made omelets, pancakes, many breakfast meats, potatoes and delicious fruit, not to mention sweets etc! It was great. We eat so well that we were not hungry until dinner. Spa was nice, facial was ok. Used the spa pool which was a bit more private.Biggest complaint was the fact I was ignored for an hour at the pool when I wanted something to drink. Every waiter didn't come near the area I was in. So strange, but I finally got someone's attention and service was fine.
The Desert Ridge Marketplace was across the street and we ate our dinners there. The meals at the resort were expensive and a bit more expansive than we really wanted to eat. Starbucks on premises which was a nice touch as I like their coffee. The room is nice, nothing out of this world but comfy bed and very clean. Ask for a pool side room as they are the best. Do not get a room around the Isle of Capri unless you want to look at the most lifeless view in the resort. No color, no interest. We will try another resort on our next visit.

• Stayed October 2005
11 Thank PYKZTF
Reviewed October 4, 2005

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Desert Ridge on vacation and had a wonderful time. The hotel and property are beautiful. The hotel is only 3 years old and is in excellant condition. The room was great, with a large bathroom, balcony, and view of the moutains. The restaurants are very good - dinner at Roy's was a treat. Drinks are surprisingly cheap. 7 pools and an excellant spa. Palmer golf course is in great condition and 95 degree heat was not an issue. The thing we were most impressed with was the quality of the staff. EVERYONE was friendly and did a great job. They were the best staff we have ever experienced. We ate all of our meals outside and really enjoyed drinks on the patio overlooking the beautifully designed property. We highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed September 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Utah
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Our family of five had a fantastic experience at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge.
Even before we arrived i was impressed with the staff -- especially Cookie at the conciege desk. She was extremely helpful, kind and professional as she made recommendations and reservations for us for dinner as well as excursions.
Check-in was a breeze - the porters were quick and helpful. Our room was very clean with a large bathroom. The kids loved the balcony which had beautiful desert views and overlooked a golf course. The grounds were beautifully maintained and the pools were a HUGE hit especially the lazy river!
Since we have three young children we decided to use their valet service -- well worth the money as it quite a hike to the parking lots. The valets were always friendly and attentive.
We ate poolside one afternoon and everything was fresh and delicious. We appreciated the chilled lemon water in the lobby which was so refreshing given the temperatures stayed around 112 degrees during our vacation.
One excursion we went on was a desert tour via Hummer with Stellar Adventures. Our guide was fantastic - very knowledgeable about the indigenous plant and animal life and very friendly and helpful.
Take time to go to DC Ranch - a planned community not far form the resort - great restaurants Eddie V's and San Felipe's Cantina.
The Arizona Science Center was amazing -- we could have stayed all day. Wonderful, fun, educational and interactive activities for the kids (& adults)!
As we headed to the airport, the kids were already asking when we could go back to the resort - always a good sign of a great vacation.

Stayed August 2005
6 Thank kelmorris
Reviewed September 28, 2005

This was a great resort resort. The only drawback is it's distance from Phoenix and Scottsdale. It has several restaurants with great food choices, including Roy's.

I would return again.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed September 13, 2005

This is an absolutely beautiful resort. I took a solo trip to the resort in July 2005 for some much needed rest and relaxation. The rooms are clean, pretty, and nicely sized. The pool area is spectacular with 3-4 pools and a lazy river. The spa was awesome! I had four spa treatments while staying at the resort and the service and ambiance of the spa was the best (I took advantage of a great "BUY 1, GET 1 FREE" summer spa service special). An added bonus is that there is a huge shopping/entertainment/dining complex directly across the street from the hotel. I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a nice vacation. Do not be deterred by the fact that this hotel hosts lots of conferences. The hotel is so massive that there is enough space for everyone -- conference attendees and pleasure travelers alike!

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank JULES821
Reviewed September 5, 2005

We just came back from the JW Marriott last night on Sept 6th we were there for labor day weekend. This place is really beautiful considering 106 deg weather everyday. Then again who goes to Phoenix in Aug or Sept. Hahaha The resort is huge we got lost a few times trying to find our room. Everyone in the hotel meaning The Staff, were the most friendliest people I have ever met on a vacation. Service at the pools were very good too.

The rooms were very nice with a very spacious bathroom and nice size deck. We were given a garden view first but they were very helpful in giving me a pool view with no hesitation.

By the way you def dont need to rent a car there is a market place accross the street. 5 dollar cab ride. They have everything you need there, restaurants, shopping, drug store, target, malls everything. If you want to go a little further like 15 minutes or so there are some really elite restaurants. I forgot the name but it was seafood and very good, pricey but worth it.

My only issue was that night we got there 2:45am some kids pulled the fire alarm waking the whole hotel. Living in NY and witnesing 911 we knew to get our stuff and get right down the steps and out. The whole hotel gathered outside front and back waiting for further instructions. It took like 25 minutes for them to shut the alarm which was annoying but it was just a false alarm. It wasn't that great that all that was done was management left a notice under our doors that morning to apolize for the inconvience. Free breakfast would have been better then just a stupid note.

But over all this was a beautiful place and if I came back I would definitly get out of the hotel and see more.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort
Fairmont Scottsdale Princess

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!