I just returned from Phoenix and a stay at the JW. Still conflicted on my feelings regarding our stay. My husband was out there for a conference and it just happened that our anniversary was the day after the conference ended. So I flew out a few days after he did and we just extended our stay. Overall I enjoyed it. The grounds are breathtaking! The food is great and everyone is very friendly. I really liked the location because it was located between Phoenix and Scottsdale and close to the freeway. It made getting around very easy. The staff was very helpful and always had smiles on their faces. Like I've already said the grounds are amazing. I really can't say enough about that and it really made up for the bad things (I'll get to those). There is a patio just outside the lobby that has several tables and lounge chairs with firepits and it was always the place to be in the evening and early morning. I really enjoyed taking a book and just hanging out. The pools are very nice and never seemed crowded.
Okay so here are the few negatives. The pools weren't heated and it wasn't very comfortable to swim. However, this was in November. Second, I called two weeks in advance and spoke with someone at the hotel. I explained that my husband was going to be there for the conference but that I would be flying in halfway through the week for our anniversary. I told her it would be great if we could get a room with a good view and a king sized bed. When my husband got there he was put in a room with doubles. He told the front desk I would be there in 3 days for our anniversary and could they move him as soon as a king came available. So when I arrived 3 days later he was still in the doubles. We slept in seperate beds because I am 5 months pregnant and there was NO way we could both squeeze into one of those little beds. Not ideal on a romantic getaway. The next day we called and again requested a king room. We were called back around noon and were told our new room was ready and a bellman was on his way up to move us. We loaded everything up and made the trek across the hotel to our new room. When we opened up the door it was another double but the view was amazing (pools). The bellman called the front desk and explained we were wanting a king and again said it was for our anniversary. He was told which room to take us to but it was on the 3rd floor and overlooked the front drive! Not exactly romantic but we opted for the king vs. the view. This was the biggest problem we had. I know the hotel was sold out because of conferences. However, it just seems to me that someone would've thought to put more of the single business travelers into the doubles and leave the king rooms for couples. Also, over the course of a week can you really tell me there wasn't a king room with a decent view that came available. Also, my husband is a preferred Marriott reward holder. So much for rewarding loyalty that week.
We did make the best of it and really enjoyed ourselves. Overall it was nice. Just a few little annoying things that keep me from giving it an "Excellent". Not sure if we'd stay again. If we knew the room situation would be better we would. However, because of the volume of conferences that seems unlikely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Without peer among Phoenix resorts, the award-winning, AAA 4-Diamond JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa welcomes guests to its stunning 316 acres in the Sonoran Desert. Our captivating resort takes you to a place where luxury, personal service, invigorating recreation and excellent dining are in abundance. Guest rooms and suites feature private balconies or patios with dramatic desert vistas, mountain views, and tech-friendly amenities. This premier resort also impresses with the award-winning Revive Spa and championship Wildfire Golf Club, home to the LPGA Founders Cup. Families, couples and friends will find a variety of activities designed for all ages including our Wildfire Pool Complex complete with Lazy River and water-slide. Or just relax and enjoy each others company indoors or outside on one of many patios with our inviting fire-pits overlooking the resort's waterways. Among the leading North Phoenix, Arizona resorts, JW Marriott Desert Ridge is your one-stop vacation haven. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Desert Ridge Resort And Spa Phoenix
- Jw Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix Hotel Phoenix
- Jw Marriott Phoenix
- Marriott Phoenix
- Phoenix Marriott