“A Beautiful Property That”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed April 20, 2009

After reading all the negative reviews I was wondering if I should change my plans.
Fortunately, I found the JW Desert Ridge to be a pleasant surprise. The entire staff at the hotel was helpful and courteous. The rooms are a decent size with a balcony.Oversized bathrooms. Although the hotel is now 7 years old, the rooms are nicely kept. Beds are very comfortable. I was lucky to a have great view of the pool and golf course. Pools are very nice. Lazy river is great for everyone. Lunch by the pool is fine. They did have some great salads. I found the drinks to be moderately priced compared to other places I've been to. We had a free massage and breakfast package with our room which was a plus. The spa was great. Decent gym with a half dozen treadmills, bikes, etc. Breakfast is expensive, $22/person for the buffet. It is good when the breakfast is free. Otherwise, there is a starbucks and another place to just get cereal. WE did not have dinner in the hotel, but I was told by a friend that the food was very good. We ate at two great restaurants. The Ocean Club in Scottsdale and Donovans Steakhouse. Both are pricey.
All in all, the JW Desert Ridge is a great place to relax.

1  Thank AndrewG1
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 15, 2009

Stayed at the JW for the first time. We found the property very clean, service was very good, tennis courts, pool spa and exercise facilities were all in excellent condition. We had two rooms and were very satisfied with the stay. We will return to the JW!

Reviewed April 14, 2009

We were greeted by smiling faces immediately upon arrival. Had plenty of assistance with our luggage and were escorted to our rooms realtively quickly. Check-in was painless and the staff were very friendly. We had two rooms and both were found to be very clean - beds very comfortable. Housekeeping was great - graciously providing some essentials we forgot. Didn't 'lock up our belongings' as another reviewer recommended, but never had a single problem. We used the tennis courts daily and the pros were wonderful. They even let you play in the evenings (lighted courts) at no charge. They were great with our teenagers. We found the Faldo golfcourse to be fairly well maintained and challenging.

We did not eat at the restaurants onsite - prices were exhorbitant. We did however find good deals at the small shop outside the Blue Sage. Nice chef salads & sandwiches at reasonable prices. Best bet - go to one of the many nearby (five minutes) shopping areas as they have several restaurants to choose from.

The property is beautiful - flowers, trees, grounds all well maintained. The hotel was not busy the first few days of our stay - and booked solid towards the end. The pool had lounge chairs available all the time - and staff was helpful in bringing add'l chairs out as needed. Our pool servers were attentive - even during the busier days. We did not use the lazy river, as it was mostly filled with small children. The pools were all to be heated but we found the small pool in the rear of the property extremely cold. We were told the heater was broken, and soon to be fixed. It remained cold our entire stay. The others were fine.

Overall - a great, relaxing vacation. Easy drive to Sedona and Phoenix airport.

Reviewed March 30, 2009

I was at this hotel for a week, part time for a conference and part time for vacation. Where oh where to start?

1. The worst service of any hotel I have ever been to. Staff at the pool area are rude, unresponsive, and act as if you are bothering them if you ask them for anything.

2. I was overcharged on my bill several times.

3. There was a bizarrely mean woman tending the slide in the Lazy River. She actually seemed to get off on screaming at the kids and singling out certain kids for her disdain. Everyone at the resort was calling her the "Pool Nazi." Several people complained, to no avail.

4. The pool area has some smooth concrete which is lethally slippery when it gets wet, which resulted in,

5. my broken second toe and a complete lack of empathy or any response at all from the hotel management.

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. The food ranges from bad (Blue Sage, which apparently cannot discern the difference between an omelette and scrambled eggs despite numerous edification efforts by me) to Bad Plus Expensive (my $80 wagu rib eye cooked within an inch of its life when I requested "rare" and no comping for it) to OK (Roy's is fine but everything is horribly salted) to "Not Bad" (Tuscany is what we would consider a mid-level restaurant here in Portland but much more expensive).

I am now in bed with a very messed up toe and management refused to put me in tough with their loss claims department so I could send them my medical bills. My son really enjoyed our three hours in the emergency room, and when I asked the hotel to fill my prescription so I could simply lay down for a while after returning from the hospital, they took the prescription and said they would "see what they could do." 6 HOURS LATER they called me and said "we don't do that." Meanwhile, my now green, black and blue toe had swollen to twice its normal size and was throbbing to the sounds of the music in the room next door, which I could easily hear because the walls are so thin. But I have no pain medication. Ah, perfect.

I was looking forward to golf, tennis and hiking in Scottsdale. After my injury, I could not do anything. you would think someone would check in on me from the hotel, no? No.

I don't usually stay at Marriott Hotels. I will never stay there again. You have been warned!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
9  Thank westoverlawyer
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I stayed here with a few friends for my birthday. The room was really crammed, but someone cozy. We ended up sitting outside on our balcony to have breakfast in the morning (where we had views of the roof :/). The beds were extremely comfortable (which I've found to be true for all Marriotts I've stayed in). The bathroom was really nice and spacious with a separate shower & tub, with plenty of room for sharing. We had all of the regular amenities included with a standard hotel room. There was a Starbucks inside the hotel, which was nice, and a nice lobby.

The grounds were what made the hotel. There were beautful pools with a lazy river, gorgeous flowers, trees, and water features everywhere, you were right on a golf course (wish I had the time to play), and plenty of outdoor seating to enjoy the views. The property was well maintained and very relaxing. I would consider going back for the grounds; for over $300/night, the rooms were ridiculous.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rabu23
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Having stayed previously in the area at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass and the Westin Kieland, we decided to give the JW Marriott a try. Overall I would give it four stars - nothing blows you away in particular, but it is as advertised, i.e. a resort that caters to business conventions as well as families on vacation. I disliked the $25/night "resort fee" which is a ripoff to me, but more and more hotels seem to be adopting this add-on. I'm not even sure what it covered, and it wasn't even mentioned at check-in though I was aware of it at the time I made my reservation.
The only meals we ate the hotel were poolside for lunch, so I can't comment on any of the other restaurants. The poolside service was spotty, despite the area being relatively empty (don't if all the guests were in meetings or whether the 65 degree temperature kept others away from the pool).
The pool temperature was great - nicely heated which I find not to be the case at many other resorts. There's also a nice lazy river and water slide for the kids. Plus, the piped in music was unobtrusive in most parts of the pool area except the lazy river.
The rooms are nothing special, but they do have flat screen tv's with HD on many channels. The staff was friendly and seemed to be well-trained.
Its location is fine - right across the street from the Desert Ridge outdoor mall and right off the 101 Loop which can take you either to other parts of Scottsdale or downtown.
Compared to the other two hotels we've stayed at previously, I would put it a notch or two above the Westin Kierland and on par with the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass.
If we go back to the area I would consider staying here if the price was right.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Metsfan5
Reviewed February 20, 2009

I'm not writing about a stay at the hotel but their "bait-n-switch" marketing tactics. What I'm talking about is their published "Unlimited Golf Experience for Two from $119" that has been in Golf Week Magazine for the past two months or so. Whenever I call to obtain that rate they are "always booked" I get bogus replies from the operator staying that they "just booked 10 reservations" and that the $119 rate is no longer available but they can do this date at $179 (in the middle of August) or dates in Oct, Nov and Dec for $289. My question... when are the $119 dates available? Classic example of get the customer on the phone and try to get them to book at a much higher price. The $119 price is just not available. They minus well just say the rooms are free. Don't advertise something that is just not available.

• Stayed: February 2009
3  Thank Captn_Joe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!