“Horrible service, dangerous pool area”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I was at this hotel for a week, part time for a conference and part time for vacation. Where oh where to start?

1. The worst service of any hotel I have ever been to. Staff at the pool area are rude, unresponsive, and act as if you are bothering them if you ask them for anything.

2. I was overcharged on my bill several times.

3. There was a bizarrely mean woman tending the slide in the Lazy River. She actually seemed to get off on screaming at the kids and singling out certain kids for her disdain. Everyone at the resort was calling her the "Pool Nazi." Several people complained, to no avail.

4. The pool area has some smooth concrete which is lethally slippery when it gets wet, which resulted in,

5. my broken second toe and a complete lack of empathy or any response at all from the hotel management.

AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. The food ranges from bad (Blue Sage, which apparently cannot discern the difference between an omelette and scrambled eggs despite numerous edification efforts by me) to Bad Plus Expensive (my $80 wagu rib eye cooked within an inch of its life when I requested "rare" and no comping for it) to OK (Roy's is fine but everything is horribly salted) to "Not Bad" (Tuscany is what we would consider a mid-level restaurant here in Portland but much more expensive).

I am now in bed with a very messed up toe and management refused to put me in tough with their loss claims department so I could send them my medical bills. My son really enjoyed our three hours in the emergency room, and when I asked the hotel to fill my prescription so I could simply lay down for a while after returning from the hospital, they took the prescription and said they would "see what they could do." 6 HOURS LATER they called me and said "we don't do that." Meanwhile, my now green, black and blue toe had swollen to twice its normal size and was throbbing to the sounds of the music in the room next door, which I could easily hear because the walls are so thin. But I have no pain medication. Ah, perfect.

I was looking forward to golf, tennis and hiking in Scottsdale. After my injury, I could not do anything. you would think someone would check in on me from the hotel, no? No.

I don't usually stay at Marriott Hotels. I will never stay there again. You have been warned!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
9  Thank westoverlawyer

Reviewed February 26, 2009

I stayed here with a few friends for my birthday. The room was really crammed, but someone cozy. We ended up sitting outside on our balcony to have breakfast in the morning (where we had views of the roof :/). The beds were extremely comfortable (which I've found to be true for all Marriotts I've stayed in). The bathroom was really nice and spacious with a separate shower & tub, with plenty of room for sharing. We had all of the regular amenities included with a standard hotel room. There was a Starbucks inside the hotel, which was nice, and a nice lobby.

The grounds were what made the hotel. There were beautful pools with a lazy river, gorgeous flowers, trees, and water features everywhere, you were right on a golf course (wish I had the time to play), and plenty of outdoor seating to enjoy the views. The property was well maintained and very relaxing. I would consider going back for the grounds; for over $300/night, the rooms were ridiculous.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rabu23
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Having stayed previously in the area at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass and the Westin Kieland, we decided to give the JW Marriott a try. Overall I would give it four stars - nothing blows you away in particular, but it is as advertised, i.e. a resort that caters to business conventions as well as families on vacation. I disliked the $25/night "resort fee" which is a ripoff to me, but more and more hotels seem to be adopting this add-on. I'm not even sure what it covered, and it wasn't even mentioned at check-in though I was aware of it at the time I made my reservation.
The only meals we ate the hotel were poolside for lunch, so I can't comment on any of the other restaurants. The poolside service was spotty, despite the area being relatively empty (don't if all the guests were in meetings or whether the 65 degree temperature kept others away from the pool).
The pool temperature was great - nicely heated which I find not to be the case at many other resorts. There's also a nice lazy river and water slide for the kids. Plus, the piped in music was unobtrusive in most parts of the pool area except the lazy river.
The rooms are nothing special, but they do have flat screen tv's with HD on many channels. The staff was friendly and seemed to be well-trained.
Its location is fine - right across the street from the Desert Ridge outdoor mall and right off the 101 Loop which can take you either to other parts of Scottsdale or downtown.
Compared to the other two hotels we've stayed at previously, I would put it a notch or two above the Westin Kierland and on par with the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass.
If we go back to the area I would consider staying here if the price was right.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Metsfan5
Reviewed February 20, 2009

I'm not writing about a stay at the hotel but their "bait-n-switch" marketing tactics. What I'm talking about is their published "Unlimited Golf Experience for Two from $119" that has been in Golf Week Magazine for the past two months or so. Whenever I call to obtain that rate they are "always booked" I get bogus replies from the operator staying that they "just booked 10 reservations" and that the $119 rate is no longer available but they can do this date at $179 (in the middle of August) or dates in Oct, Nov and Dec for $289. My question... when are the $119 dates available? Classic example of get the customer on the phone and try to get them to book at a much higher price. The $119 price is just not available. They minus well just say the rooms are free. Don't advertise something that is just not available.

• Stayed: February 2009
3  Thank Captn_Joe
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We chose this resort for our last night in Phoenix, (and because it was a Marriott) to end our vacation on a fabulous note (so we thought). We checked into our room, which was beautiful and had a great bathroom and comfortable beds. The TV would not decrease past 19 on the volume level, and I called the front desk to ask for help. The question I was asked was "did you try the remote?". Wow. About 30 minutes later, a maintenance man appeared and was mystified because he couldn't decrease the volume either, so he called in assistance. It could not be repaired, so we were moved to another room--this was about 1 1/2 hours after we had checked in (for only one night). The next room was exactly the same, and the TV worked. I went into the restroom to use splash water on my face and almost overflowed the sink because the stopper was broken and plugged the sink. I had to reach in to dig the stopper out, and didn't bother asking for it to be fixed because our time had already been wasted some. There are no vending machines on the property, which was an issue for us because my husband is diabetic and sometimes needs a quick soda if his sugar levels drop suddenly. **The last problem we did not discover until we were already home--when checking in we were asked for a card for any incidental expenses, which we are accustomed to, and my husband gave his debit card--now, normally we would use a credit card, but staying only 1 night we knew we would have no additional expenses. Checking our bank statement, a $210 charge was debited at the exact same time we checked into this establishment. Our room rate was only $161 plus taxes (government rate)! I called the hotel Saturday, and they said they could offer no help, it would have to wait until Monday and a separate billing department would be able to assist me. I did call them Monday, and was told by a representative that it was a "hold" placed on the funds (which renders them completely frozen until Marriott calls the bank to have them released). That's all fine and good, but we were not told that any amount would be frozen by the check-in girl, and we travel frequently and are used to giving a card for incidentals, which we normally never accrue. Our 1st 2 nights in Scotsdale we stayed at a lower star Marriott and this one could use some tips to earn its higher star rating. As stated by others, the housekeeping staff did not acknowledge us at all when we walked by, and we always make a point to speak to housekeeping in the hotels we use. We would never consider staying here again, much to our disappointment. It didn't ruin our entire vacation, but what a hassle!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JRBAKER24
Reviewed January 25, 2009

Stayed at Time share villa adjacent to hotel.It was about a mile away. The hotel is one of these overpriced corporate places that caters to business travel. The time share villas are a bus ride away from the hotel amenities.

There are two great although very overpriced golf courses that are best accessed by listening to a 90 minute aggressive sales pitch trying to sell you a timeshare. For that we got two free rounds..valued at almost $400

Unit was small. Sound isolation was poor. Resort had few other features . Its close to a huge mall.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank travelmanMA
Reviewed December 31, 2008

No, I don't mean West Virginia. Visiting Scottsdale at this time of the year is just that - 'Heaven'. Temperatures are cool (40's) in the morning, but 70's by noon. The JW has everything a first class resort should have: excellent spa, 2 great golf courses, 4 super restaurants, conference rooms, banquet halls, pools and an in-house Starbucks. The room are comfortable and the beds are great, I actually slept very well on them. Service was impecciable, friendly and always helpful. We ate at 2 of the restaurants on site, Roy's, was had excellent food and Meritage, a steakhouse which had a wonderful $39 seasonal steak special. The lounge is very spacious, although somewhat noisy when crowded, but we spent a lot of our time at the outdoor fire pits in the evenings. We played the 'Palmer' golf course, which was very enjoyable and of course the desert vistas were wonderful. There is plenty of shopping and other types of less expensive restaurants nearby at the Desert Ridge outdoor mall-like area too.
I would certainly return to JW Marriott Desert Ridge!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank markt3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!