“Great family vacation!”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We just stayed here for the second time, and it is one of our favorite resorts! The resort is beautiful, the attention to detail is impressive, and the choices for food and entertainment are exceptional since there are many price points offered. My 10-year-old son loved the lazy river, water slide, DJ, games by the pool, family escape center during the heat of the afternoon, and reptile show on Friday afternoon (all complimentary). My husband and I loved the pitchers of ice water offered at the pool, the inexpensive tacos at the taco bar (my husband and I had lunch for $7), Roy's happy hour with $6 apps and drinks, and the plentiful and helpful staff. The drinks by the pool were expensive but weren't watered down, so we appreciated that. With Sedona nearby, our vacation was the right amount of relaxing and active!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,773)

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I were treated to a wonderful time! Don't miss out on the Griffin Club, great people and great service. Chelsea made things happen for us! Many resorts have wonderful amenities, but Desert Ridge has the right staff to go with it.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I've been meaning to write this review for a few weeks..We traveled to Phoenix from San Diego and stayed at the resort over Memorial Day weekend to escape the craziness of Coronado. The pool service was impeccable. Facilities were immaculate. A property can take a beating over those busy weekends and the staff did a great job keeping it up. The Spa treatment that I received was not to the quality level that I have received at similar resorts. I figured they may have called in additional staff for the busy weekend, so I wasn't overly concerned. The general manager, Mr. Hart even made an appearance on Sunday. He interacted with guests, and bought ice cream for the kids. He showed great pride in his property, and as a frequent traveler for business and leisure, it speaks volumes to see him engage with guests and employees alike. We will be back next Memorial Day weekend

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I forgot just how dry Phoenix is prior to landing on a recent business trip. The JW was a good relief for that. Have to say I never stepped foot outside until I left for the airport. They had everything I could need under their roof and it was another great example of the JW properties being great for business travelers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times and love it.

We value pool time with our 2 and 4 year olds, and this property is ideal. With the multiple pools, waterfalls, levels, lazy river, slide and etc, it's like a weekend paradise. We appreciate that on busy weekends, the staff provides and checks for wrist bands to keep out the pool hoppers. We also like the "vacation" feel from the music to the taco stand that's set up. There used to be Nickelodeon events at the pool for the kids. Although that contract is now gone, the hotel may consider something similar on its own.

Our 4 yr old was excited at the idea of using this resort's water slide. Unfortunately, we were turned away because they have a strict height requirement. I kindly asked for the manager to see if he would make an exception based on my daughter's advanced swimming skills. The manager was very professional and understanding, but would not make the exception. (As a sidenote, this type of policy obviously unjustly rewards taller kids without regard to swimming ability.) I fault the company for this policy and not the manager. I kindly explained to my saddened daughter that we need to follow the rules and we thanked the staff. I have no idea how, but that same manager found out our names, and tracked us down later while we were lounging by one of the other pools. He stooped down and apologized again to my daughter and gave her and her sister a special gift, and introduced us to the kid's club manager who also went out of her way to make our kids feel special.

The poolside staff is good and generally upbeat. Unfortunately, I can't remember our server's name, but she was from Venezuela. She was extraordinarily nice and attentive.

We love having Roy's on the property for dinner, Blue Sage has an excellent breakfast buffet, and Starbucks is a must for my wife. This hotel has tons of options.

The main lounge area, including the adjoining outside area around the firepits, has a great buzz, especially at night with the live music.

The valet and bell desk are some of the best. You can tell these guys take their jobs seriously and you don't feel like you're handing your car to a kid with a summer job.

Ashley, who checked us in at the front desk, was very pleasant and treated us very well.

The housekeeping staff were top-notch on this last visit. They simply did a great job of making up our room, including making the beds for our little ones, and made us feel very welcome with some extra touches.

If there's a con to this hotel, it's that it handles a ton of conference business. It can feel crowded at times with loads of folks in "golf casual" attire and corporate name tags. But, the property is also so large and spread out that it doesn't overpower the resort feel.

See you again in July!

Room Tip: Pool view preferred. But, even the front resort view is pretty good.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Normally when booking a hotel, you pay via cc when you make your reservation then when you arrive they ask for a cc that will get charged only if there's damages. So I "paid" w/ the company CC (AMEX) in the amount of $260. Upon arrival, when giving a card for "damages" I gave them my debit card b/c that was the only card I had on me. Turns out they charged the ENTIRE stay on my debit card instead in the about $325 (I hadn't charged anything to my room either. That was just for the room for 1 nite). A couple days later, when I went to call about it, the CSR said she could help me w/ the billing issue. When I told her what it was, she xfrd me to the Business Center where I was on hold for 19 minutes. I then hung up, called back and spoke w/ the same woman and told her that I have a billing issue, she said she was going to xfr me to accounting. I told her that I think they are closed b/c I was just on hold for 19 minutes. She xfrs me anyway where I remain on hold for another 20 minutes before I call a 3rd time. This is how the conversation went:

Shauana: "JW Marriot Desert Ridge Resort. HOw may I help you?"
Me: "Hi. What is your name?"
Shauna: "JW Marriot Desert Ridge Resort."
Me: "Yes I know, what is YOUR name."
Shauna: "Who am I speaking with?"
Me: "Krystle. Now, what is YOUR name?"
Shauna: "This is the front office."
Me: "Do you have a name?"
Shauna: "Yes."
Me: "What is it?"
Shauna: "Shauna."
Me: "Can I talk to a mgr please?"
Shauna: "Can I get your name?"
Me: "Again, Krystle"

I don't know what kind of people they have working there but they obviously can't comprehend basic English and they don't care about customer service. The mgr, Chelsea was compassionate, although she didn't offer anything to makeup of the my dissatisfaction, she did send over a CC Authorization form that I could fill out to switch charges.

The place was VERY expensive. $325 for one night. It was $22 for a turkey sandwich, chips, and coffee and I got that b/c is was the cheapest thing available.

The pool is nice though! They have a lazy river.

Overall, NEVER STAY HERE!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Krystle L
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here for business. Room was spacious and bathroom even more so! Great water pressure and hot, plenty of towels, comfortable bed and pillows. Balcony view of the front lawn was gorgeous with a hot air balloon lift off in the distance at day break the next morning. Corporate breakfast event for our company with excellent wait staff and delicious food EVERYWHERE! Conference areas large and comfortable. Exotic squawking birds of some kind outside on the patio for a private lunch ( I love birds!!). Overall experience very favorable- surroundings lush and gorgeous.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HollyRNTennessee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#22 of 174 in Phoenix
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
#69 of 174 in Phoenix

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!