“Beautiful Resort In the Desert”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We frequently visit this beautiful resort in Phoenix. From the time you enter the lobby until you leave, you feel like you are in another world. The resort is beautifully decorated, from the comfortable chairs in the lobby - to the beautiful fixtures and finishings in the rooms. Everything is perfect. The pool area is extremely large - several pools to choose from, including a kids pool and a lazy river. You can spend the whole day at the pool because they offer food and drinks along with pitchers of water - you never have to leave. The grounds are lush and beautifully landscaped. In the evenings, on weekends, the bar area extends out to the patio and there is usually live music. It's a nice place to get together with friends for drinks. The only downside is if you choose to park you own car - it is sometimes hard to find an open spot. This is a big hotel with convention facilities - so at times it gets crowded.

Room Tip: Rooms off the pool can be noisy during the day.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,771)

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I attended a business trip that was more of a vacation.

Rooms - Decent rooms - Clean with premium mountain and pool view. For $400.00 a night rooms, I did expect a little more. Nothing special. I was in a room near the lobby on the 5th floor - the lobby is VERY noisy and the sound echoing though the halls is incredible.

Amenities – Resort Fee is 25.00 a day…are you kidding me? For $400.00 a night rooms, this should be included. With this resort fee you are able to go to the driving range, have internet access, and then the usual hotel amenities.

Pools – 4 pools – I feel small for the size of this resort. There is a lack of chairs available when the hotel is booked. I had to sit on the grass one day. The chairs are also so packed in, there is NO room between them. They are on top of each other. Drinks/food are also overpriced at the pool.

The thing that really wow’ed me is the event/meeting spaces and the servers at these events. They went above and beyond everyday to make every person feel special. For the number of people we had, they did a great job. All meals were included and the food was outstanding. I don’t want to even think of how much money I would have spent if we had to eat at the restaurants at the hotel every day.

I would not come back to this resort if I was paying for this. You can go to Mexico for much cheaper, all inclusive resort

Room Tip: Mountain and Pool view - away from the Lobby
1  Thank hjshepps
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Updated facility with beautiful landscaping, decor and attentive staff. Easy check-in, room service was professional and detail oriented. Star bucks gets crowded early with no easy morning caffeine fixes. Exercise facility was adequate but busy in the AM. All in all, an outstanding experience.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the morning sun while sitting on the balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the desert ridge recently for a work related event. The atmosphere was very nice. The staff was great. Most of all I really enjoyed the food. Out of all of the places that I have stayed for business trips this was a true delight. They had a great variety of food and it was delicious. I was impressed with the fact that they had many items that cater to vegetarians. I am not a vegetarian but I am always curious to explore vegetarian fair and all of the various foods that I ate at Desert Ridge were excellent. Well done!

Room Tip: The Tuscany restaurant and the Blue Sage were excellent places to eat.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed for three days just after Easter and yes it was full to the brim with families on vacation. The rooms were very nice, beds comfy, and everyone on staff was very helpful. We did have a little trouble getting linens, etc for our sleeper sofa for our nine year old daughter. We asked for a mattress pad, but they had none, so we asked for a blanket we could put under the sheets, but they told us they had ALL been sent out to launder. They finally brought us about a dozen sheets to pile on top of the sofa mattress! My comment about staff refers to the pool area. There was no supervision at all and I was kind of surprised from a liability standpoint that no one watched the pool area, and I do include some parents! A few times some younger children were walking in the river and a couple of groups of boys were being very aggressive and I was concerned someone was going to end up under a tube or trampled. We saw families pull out the inner tubes and keep them by their chair when they got out. That just seemed to be a bit inconsiderate, as they are for all to use and it does sort itself out. It was often difficult to find a tube because people were saving them. I didn't really want to be the pool monitor, but there were lots of kids looking for a tube and I did ask a couple of raucous groups of kids to be careful of little ones. Staff in the pool area would have been good to monitor things like that. On the first two days, we noticed lots of trash lying around the pool area, cups, bottles, etc. and that is so not the Marriott style. (There were plenty of trash cans, but apparently some people don't know how that works.) Ice water was always available and the food staff did an amazing job of keeping track of who ordered what in such a large space. I concur, chairs were hard to come by after 9:00. There was a sign saying chairs could not be reserved, but we saw chairs sit unused all day. Why do people save chairs for their children who never stop and sit?! We were a little disappointed there was only one small hot tub, always nice on a cool evening. All in all, great place for a family trip, but if my husband and I were to go without kids, we would definitely stay at the JW Camelback down the road.

Room Tip: I might avoid the pool view rooms if possible. Very noisy until pool closes at 10 p.m. and we just l...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank livealoha1959
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was just going to write a review about the wonderful experience my husband and I had at this hotel this past weekend and I saw the last review posted. I couldn't have said it any better than that. So DITTO to 3catsmom !!!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I visited this facility for a business conference. The service, food quality and rooms were top notch, especially with the considerable size of our group. The resort grounds included over the top landscaping with water effects, plants and gardens all well maintained. The property is so expansive, even if crowded, there are plenty of areas to relax and enjoy the surroundings without being around crowds of people. The pool areas were crowded, but we were able to find chairs and received poolside wait service without issue. The two golf courses looked nice, although we did not have a chance to play. The staff was phenomenal. Service could not have been more friendly or attentive. Great job! I see other's complaints in the reviews; however for a business conference, this is one of the best experiences I have had.

2  Thank 3catsmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#22 of 174 in Phoenix
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
#75 of 174 in Phoenix

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!