“Marriott in Phoenix Decent”

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
New York, NY
“Marriott in Phoenix Decent”
Reviewed April 11, 2008

Stayed at the Desert Inn for 4 nights in January. The rooms are large but not in the very best condition. The first room I was given had mold in the shower. They changed me to another room which was much better. The best thing about this hotel was the Tennis Center. Excellent instruction and reasonably priced. The restaurants are very mediocre and close early. The outside fire pits are really nice. Too cold in January to use the pool.

• Liked — Tennis Center
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
Las Cruces, NM
Reviewed April 1, 2008

My wife and 3 kids stayed at this resort during spring break and were not impressed. We've stayed at numerous resorts all over the US and Phoenix and this would rate in the middle at best. The rooms were not clean and the room service was always late and suboptimal. The food in the resort was fair atbest and expensive. Roy's restuarant was good but it was the only restuarant that was worth the price of the meal. The swimming pools could have been cleaner and the poolside service was VERY POOR!!! The margarita's were terrible with soggy salt on the edge of the glass and the bartender at the pool was rude!
Also, the concierge was rude and not helpful.... The room rates were very high for this type of service. I would not stay here again...

CD

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The service
Colorado
Reviewed March 30, 2008

After reading some of the most recent reviews I must say the one from New York made me laugh. I have learned from my travels never to judge a book by the cover some of the wealthiest people in Scottsdale dress like gardners and drive " american" cars! Here is my take on the JW Marriott. Great location but will not travel in March it is Spring Break and no matter where you travel whether beach or ski there will be plenty of kids about. I was suprised no one mentioned the vacation club time shares. Do not show interest when traveling past the time share desks because I did and not only had 3 separate voicemail messages on my room phone but also had a flyer put on my door so unless you are truly interested in their 90 min presentation steer clear. This hotel is located across from Desert Ridge Marketplace one of the cleanest outside shopping malls I have visited, it is not high end stores but has most everything moderate and they do provide a shuttle pick up from Desert Ridge. The rooms are some of the cleanest and the housekeeping staff very friendly. The pools were crowded due to the month of travel but there are several and they do clear out at 5:00 pm and since it is still very nice outside that is a great time for adults to attend.
The restaurants are priced average for a hotel in this category. The room service prices are steep for breakfast so we went across to Mimi's or Paradise Bakery.
Be prepared to walk alot, if you like to be near the pool or golf please ask to be near those areas. The nightly turndown service provides a schedule of activities for the next day, this is the first time I have seen a Segway tour offered. Overall a very pretty setting, quiet and very clean rooms. free parking, paid laundry room. As long as you like yellow and gold tones you will not be disappointed. Lots to do but you will pay for almost everything.

• Liked — Clean well kept room and the comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Too far to walk to anything
2 Thank lilyofcolorado
Illinois
Reviewed March 29, 2008

My husband and I were guests at the Marriott Desert Ridge from Mar. 24-29. Since we had an early morning flight, we had requested early check-in in advance. We knew it might or might not be available but we were happy to learn on arrival that our room was ready and it was only a little past 9:00 a.m. We had also requested a high floor in advance and we were given a room on the 5th floor (top floor) that overlooked the lagoon, golf course and mountains in the distance - very quiet and relaxing on the balcony.

The room was spacious and nicely decorated. I have read other reviews complaining about the size of the room. We had a "regular" king room and there was a desk and chair, loveseat, coffee table, armoire and still plenty of room. I peeked in a room with 2 queens (or doubles) and it looked a little more cramped. So if a king bed suits your needs, you will find it more spacious. The bathroom was huge - separate tub and shower and large vanity.

The staff went out of their way to be friendly and accommodating. The concierge made three dinner reservations for us, gave advice on activities we might enjoy, and printed out our boarding passes on the day of our check-out .

Breakfast at the Blue Sage was great - good food and fast service - we ate outdoors each morning. We did not eat any other meals at the hotel so can't comment on that.

Even though the hotel was full, the only place that seemed crowded was at the pool. It was somewhat of a chore to find a chair each day. Lots of chair-saving going on, even though the hotel says this is against their policy. However, the beverage service at the pool was fine. I forgot my pool wrist bracelet twice but this was not a problem - I had my room key and was not asked to go back to get the bracelet. I appreciate the staff's diligence in keeping outsiders out of the pool in order to keep it available for guests - this is common practice at other nice resorts.

The spa was a real treat! It was expensive but in line with what other spas charge.

I think when you travel at spring break, it takes a good attitude to have a great time and enjoy your vacation. Meeting people from different backgrounds is part of what makes travel so interesting if you're open-minded enough to appreciate it.

• Liked — Friendly staff - front desk, housekeeping, concierge, wait staff - they were all great!
  • Disliked — Paying $12.95 per day for Internet, overall large size of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Surgie
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2008

Its a pretty hotel with lovely rooms not 5 star but clean and well kept up. We were disappointed in the crowd, it was not the usual JW crowd, it was sort of a MidWest tatto crowd, not the usual preppy golf crowd. We were out there for a wedding but soend 5 days just relaxing and enjoying the sun, only it was awful sitting at the pool. The pool was more of a "lazy rivier" disneyesque feel. The lounge chairs were horrible, they had no pads on them and there was no one to set up the chairs and lay out towels for us.

People were slobs throwing empty drink cups all over the place. We felt the service was so so, no one is too friendly out there. We ended up sitting on the cushy patio chairs alot more and we also paid the extra $35.00 per day per person to sit at the spa pool which had a very different crowd, more east coast and no tattos and people were dressed better and had Gucci's and LV bags.

Normally we go to the Phoenician but it was over booked, and we planned this last minute. It was just a so so feeling and we spent about $400 per night and we felt it was like a fancy Days Inn.

The pool area was just packed with people and you felt really squeezed in and not as if you were at a top resort. We won;t go back there again, the corwd was really not what we expected and the people were wild at the pool and no one watched their children all that well.

The waitresses were slow and not friendly, the front desk crew were excellent.

Wish I had better things to say.

• Liked — the rooms were clean
  • Disliked — the horrible crowd that went there and how they behaved and the lousy lounge chairs at the pool
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
kansas city
Reviewed March 26, 2008

I was so excited to try out this property after reading some of the reviews and staying at other Marriott resorts but was disappointed with this one. Rooms okay (my lamp did not work either) but be sure and specifiy location, We literally had a balcony (with chairs) that overlooked the top of a building. I cannot begin to explain how horrible the view was. When I mentioned the view to the front desk I got a very fake smile and no response.

Property is beautiful but provides none of the amenities of a top rate resort. Absolutely no internet access and not even a business center computer you can use without a charge (for gods sake Drury and Homewood Suites have business centers with internet access). I had to get a wrist band to use the pool so had to walk all the way back to the front desk (and believe me it is a walk). You had to ask for a towel, give your room number, wait while it was checked off and the attendant acted like he was doing me a favor by handing me a dirty looking towel. Again, two star hotels give pool access and towels with alot less trouble.

Some of the employees looked genuinely happy to help (wait staff and housekeeping consistently good) but the front desk and pool folks were a different story.

I would never pay full price for this hotel.

• Liked — grounds and pool (but pool very croweded)
  • Disliked — Customer service
3 Thank elliebear7
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Everything about the public areas of this hotel screams "class" and "perfection." The drive up to the hotel is breathtaking; the lobby is expansive and elegant. The grounds are perfectly manicured. The people are delightful and guest-focused. Yes, this looks like a hotel that would charge me $315 a night on a conference rate.

My guest room, however, was more like the Bates Motel. There were stretchmarks and rips in the carpet. The dark furniture was of a style that defies classification - and much of it was badly chipped. Although the bathroom was gigantic, there was less than an inch of clearance between the toilet seat and the glass shower door - a strange place to skimp on space, if you ask me! The best /worst part, however, was that for my entire three-day stay, and despite attempts to ask for a repair, the bedside lamp never worked and was never replaced. (Oh, and it was really, really ugly too!) I ended up moving the floor lamp over next to the bed so I could read. It was annoying to pay so much for so little of what really, really matters! (The bed was fine. The plumbing was fine. The TV, although not a flat screen, was OK. Starbuck's and a Kinko's are both right in the hotel.)

I wish I could tell you that this place was planning to renovate my room, but there's no indication that this isn't Business as Usual. So, although you'll pay what you have to, if you want to stay at this hotel, be warned that what you see out front may not be what you get when you get inside.

• Liked — grounds and public areas were breathtakingly beautiful!
  • Disliked — My guest room was a nightmare!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Charla
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#12 of 174 in Phoenix
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!