“Not Impressed”

Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
kansas city
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed March 26, 2008

I was so excited to try out this property after reading some of the reviews and staying at other Marriott resorts but was disappointed with this one. Rooms okay (my lamp did not work either) but be sure and specifiy location, We literally had a balcony (with chairs) that overlooked the top of a building. I cannot begin to explain how horrible the view was. When I mentioned the view to the front desk I got a very fake smile and no response.

Property is beautiful but provides none of the amenities of a top rate resort. Absolutely no internet access and not even a business center computer you can use without a charge (for gods sake Drury and Homewood Suites have business centers with internet access). I had to get a wrist band to use the pool so had to walk all the way back to the front desk (and believe me it is a walk). You had to ask for a towel, give your room number, wait while it was checked off and the attendant acted like he was doing me a favor by handing me a dirty looking towel. Again, two star hotels give pool access and towels with alot less trouble.

Some of the employees looked genuinely happy to help (wait staff and housekeeping consistently good) but the front desk and pool folks were a different story.

I would never pay full price for this hotel.

• Liked — grounds and pool (but pool very croweded)
  • Disliked — Customer service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank elliebear7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Everything about the public areas of this hotel screams "class" and "perfection." The drive up to the hotel is breathtaking; the lobby is expansive and elegant. The grounds are perfectly manicured. The people are delightful and guest-focused. Yes, this looks like a hotel that would charge me $315 a night on a conference rate.

My guest room, however, was more like the Bates Motel. There were stretchmarks and rips in the carpet. The dark furniture was of a style that defies classification - and much of it was badly chipped. Although the bathroom was gigantic, there was less than an inch of clearance between the toilet seat and the glass shower door - a strange place to skimp on space, if you ask me! The best /worst part, however, was that for my entire three-day stay, and despite attempts to ask for a repair, the bedside lamp never worked and was never replaced. (Oh, and it was really, really ugly too!) I ended up moving the floor lamp over next to the bed so I could read. It was annoying to pay so much for so little of what really, really matters! (The bed was fine. The plumbing was fine. The TV, although not a flat screen, was OK. Starbuck's and a Kinko's are both right in the hotel.)

I wish I could tell you that this place was planning to renovate my room, but there's no indication that this isn't Business as Usual. So, although you'll pay what you have to, if you want to stay at this hotel, be warned that what you see out front may not be what you get when you get inside.

• Liked — grounds and public areas were breathtakingly beautiful!
  • Disliked — My guest room was a nightmare!
2 Thank Charla
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 22, 2008

We just got back from our vacation here and we had a great time using the pool facilities. The pool area is about the most impressive I've seen at a hotel. We had a blast, it's great if you have kids. Although it would be nice if they had an adult pool - dealing with all those children running around was annoying from time to time but we still had fun. They have an awesome golf course too. The hotel itself is very new money - a little bit gaudy and too done but impressive nonetheless. The entire resort is very pretty but also has the feeling of Orlando, FL because nothing looks natural. They had quite a few restaurants in different price ranges. We ate at Roy's twice and had a great time. The ambiance in there seemed the most fun, especially with the tiki torches. The room itself was disappointing for the amount of money you pay. It seems like they focused a lot on the outdoors and not so much in the rooms, they were pretty standard hotel rooms. It was nice to have a balcony though. We enjoyed the lounge area on the ground floor-they had live music every night we stayed which was great. They have fire pits all over the hotel grounds to sit around and warm up on cooler nights. Overall it was a fun stay but not quite worth all the money.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — Pool food
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TessaTB
MD
Reviewed March 21, 2008

I stayed here March 13-16 for a conference. The room I stayed in was huge with a king bed and a pull out sofa. The bathroom was as big as some hotel rooms that I have stayed at in the past with a seperate shower and nice sized tub.

Had a nice sized balcony with 2 chairs and a small table. My view would have been of the pool except for the 2 palm trees that were blocking my view. If you had never seen a palm tree before, it would have been a great view.

In the evening, outside of the Vista Lounge, a guitar player (or 2) did some nice folksy songs. I could actually hear it in my room with the balcony door closed. Nice music though.

Something that confused me when I got there...I had heard that there was a charge to use the health club. There are actually 2 health clubs....one by the lazy river...that is open 24/7, and no charge. It's fair, but had everything I needed, so I used it. The other one (for which you pay) was in the Spa...it looked much nicer, but I didn't feel the need to have to use my money to go there.

Food at the conference was very good. Used the carryout from the restaurant...?Blue Sage...that was great for bfast.

Lots of great places to just sit and enjoy the scenery. Very peaceful and quiet when I was there.

• Liked — The relaxation factor
  • Disliked — Nothing
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed March 18, 2008

I recently attended a business meeting at this hotel. The hotel is gorgeous and the rooms are spectacular. Every room has a spacious balcony and the views are great. All rooms have seperate shower stalls, coffee makers and safes and the rooms are immaculate.
The meeting rooms are spacious and the staff is so accommodating.
The food in the restaurants is delicious, especially at Roy's Hawaiian Fusion.
I did not have time to enjoy the pool, but it looked wonderful and there is actually a 'lazy river' that you can use a tube to float around in.
All in all, it was a great time and I would probably come to this hotel for vacation.

• Liked — the cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
Alberta, CANADA
Reviewed March 15, 2008

Our family recently spent 2 nights at this hotel. Yes, the property is VERY nice - we paid a lot to stay, so that is to be expected. The negatives, however, speak for themselves. Firstly, the room itself was unimpressive in terms of decor/size, disappointing given the cost, but not a huge deal. Secondly, the FAN! The fan in our room was so incredibly noisy buzzing and clicking on and off, that we had to get up in the middle of the night to switch it off. Consequently, we had to sleep without air conditioning in an overly warm and stuffy room. Thirdly, we asked for a golf course view, and could juuuuuust barely make it out from our balcony on the 2nd floor of the hotel. We called and asked for a higher room, and were told they were 'fully committed', and that we couldn't have another room. Hard to believe given the hallways, restaurants, and pool areas were not busy at all during our stay. Fourth, the curtains did NOT cover the windows! That is, the curtain stopped at 1/4 of the way across the window, so we got full sunlight every morning, much to our dismay. And fifth, the music that they play in the pool area, courtyard etc., is soft and lovely..but it started each morning at 5AM! Do they really need to pump musak at 5AM!? Needless to say, it woke us up... The positives are that the staff were nice, the hotel itself is lovely, and the spa was great. I really wish they'd put more thought into the rooms - very disappointing. We had to go home to get a good nights' sleep. :(

• Liked — The property was lovely, and the spa was nice.
  • Disliked — They put no thought into the rooms, they were subpar given the cost to stay.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed March 5, 2008

Arriving at the J.W. Marriott I was impressed by the entrance and beauty of the building and landscaping. My room was ready and check in was quick and easy. It is a walk to everywhere. The room was smaller than I expected. Is there a special on throw pillows. The bathroom was very appealing. However, a 29 in TV, you're kidding me. This is a resort, I don't even have 29 in tvs at home. There was no DVD player in the room which I would have expected. The rooms were also a little noisy for my taste.

The grounds and facilities are stunning with the exception of the health club, which is mediocre. Why is it that Resort and Spas usually have poor health clubs? Maybe the belief is "you're here to be lazy, if you want to sweat, go to Bally's" The equipment was in bad condition and it just wasn't a good facility. The health club requires you to walk outside to get there (bad move). The pools were beautiful with a lazy river and walking path along side.

The hotel is pretty isolated, but it is located in a relatively nice area with a huge shopping complex and strip mall within walking distance. We always ate dinner offsite at one of the restaurants, so I didn't have a chance to eat at the Resort. My wife said the Spa was first class and thought the prices were reasonable. There is also a golf course on the grounds (it's Phoenix).

I would stay here again, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice in the Phoenix area. I've stayed in much better rooms for less money and better looking places. My wife and I went for a convention and spent a couple of extra days, but as soon we were leaving, another convention was moving in. Maybe that had to do with the coldness of the place. That may be what's missing.

• Liked — The pool and lazy river
  • Disliked — Walking to health club
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#13 of 174 in Phoenix
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!